7 TV scientists that even real scientists approve of

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 am

Robert Powell is dark-haired.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 12012
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Jesus Christ Batty! :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Oh, come on Eric, it's about the only thing I know about the bible, etc, is the Robert Powel miniseries!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 12012
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Why is the Doctor below friggin' Samantha Carter and Victor Bergman? :evil: There's only one TV scientist who should be above the Doctor.


Spock 8)


No, Sir Patrick Moore. :P
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Why is the Doctor below friggin' Samantha Carter and Victor Bergman? :evil: There's only one TV scientist who should be above the Doctor.


Spock 8)


No, Sir Patrick Moore. :P
But he's not a scientist. He has no scientific qualifications and refers to himself as an amateur.

He has made science, especially astronomy popular and I'm sure many qualified scientists have been inspired by him.

But probably more scientists have been inspired by Spock! :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28898
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Why is the Doctor below friggin' Samantha Carter and Victor Bergman? :evil: There's only one TV scientist who should be above the Doctor.


Spock 8)


No, Sir Patrick Moore. :P
But he's not a scientist. He has no scientific qualifications and refers to himself as an amateur.

He has made science, especially astronomy popular and I'm sure many qualified scientists have been inspired by him.

But probably more scientists have been inspired by Spock! :P


Okay, well, how about Dr Karl Kruszelnicki? People outside Australia may not have heard of him, but he's a TV scientist with scientific qualifications.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:16 am

Well, he doesn't have a doctorate and he doesn't do research, so he's not actually a scientist. But I don't want to split hairs about this - after all, neither does Spock 8)

But I think the point is, these are supposed to be fictional characters. If you like, you can have Amy Farrah Fowler. Fictional character and a PhD.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 am

I wonder if anyone was inspired by Magnus Pike? :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 12012
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

I was inspired by Johnny Ball, and he wasn't a scientist :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 am

Johnny Ball rocked!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 12012
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 am

Q wrote:Okay, well, how about Dr Karl Kruszelnicki? People outside Australia may not have heard of him, but he's a TV scientist with scientific qualifications.


I adore Dr Karl. He inspired my daughter to a large extent.

Anyone remember Dr Julius Sumner Miller? "Why is it so?" LOVED HIM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKCdq6X08Sw
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:12 am

Dotsie wrote:Well, he doesn't have a doctorate and he doesn't do research, so he's not actually a scientist.


He does do research, thank you.

You just love to demolish my scientific idols, don't you? :(
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 am

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Well, he doesn't have a doctorate and he doesn't do research, so he's not actually a scientist.


He does do research, thank you.

You just love to demolish my scientific idols, don't you? :(
Erm... do you think Dotsie's comments may have been aimed at Patrick Moore? The guy you mentioned (who I've never heard of) clearly does have a doctorate, that's why he's called 'Doctor'. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28898
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 am

Actually, it was Dr Karl I was referring to, who as far as I am aware doesn't have a doctorate. He has a medical degree (which is not the same thing as a scientist, as was already mentioned by pip).

But if I have a reputation for destroying scientific idols, then I apologise. I hope that despite my scathing attack, Dr Karl remains undestroyed.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am

OK, I've googled Dr Karl's research, and the only thing I could find was a research project on belly button fluff. The man is clearly a scientist, I stand corrected.

That wasn't destroying him, was it? He's very obviously a popular journalist/presenter.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests