7 TV scientists that even real scientists approve of

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 am

Robert Powell is dark-haired.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Jesus Christ Batty! :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Oh, come on Eric, it's about the only thing I know about the bible, etc, is the Robert Powel miniseries!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Why is the Doctor below friggin' Samantha Carter and Victor Bergman? :evil: There's only one TV scientist who should be above the Doctor.

Spock 8)

No, Sir Patrick Moore. :P
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Why is the Doctor below friggin' Samantha Carter and Victor Bergman? :evil: There's only one TV scientist who should be above the Doctor.

Spock 8)

But he's not a scientist. He has no scientific qualifications and refers to himself as an amateur.

He has made science, especially astronomy popular and I'm sure many qualified scientists have been inspired by him.

But probably more scientists have been inspired by Spock! :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:

Spock 8)

But he's not a scientist. He has no scientific qualifications and refers to himself as an amateur.

He has made science, especially astronomy popular and I'm sure many qualified scientists have been inspired by him.

But probably more scientists have been inspired by Spock! :P

Okay, well, how about Dr Karl Kruszelnicki? People outside Australia may not have heard of him, but he's a TV scientist with scientific qualifications.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:16 am

Well, he doesn't have a doctorate and he doesn't do research, so he's not actually a scientist. But I don't want to split hairs about this - after all, neither does Spock 8)

But I think the point is, these are supposed to be fictional characters. If you like, you can have Amy Farrah Fowler. Fictional character and a PhD.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 am

I wonder if anyone was inspired by Magnus Pike? :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

I was inspired by Johnny Ball, and he wasn't a scientist :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 am

Johnny Ball rocked!

Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 am

Q wrote:Okay, well, how about Dr Karl Kruszelnicki? People outside Australia may not have heard of him, but he's a TV scientist with scientific qualifications.

I adore Dr Karl. He inspired my daughter to a large extent.

Anyone remember Dr Julius Sumner Miller? "Why is it so?" LOVED HIM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKCdq6X08Sw
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:12 am

Dotsie wrote:Well, he doesn't have a doctorate and he doesn't do research, so he's not actually a scientist.

He does do research, thank you.

You just love to demolish my scientific idols, don't you? :(

Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 am

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Well, he doesn't have a doctorate and he doesn't do research, so he's not actually a scientist.

He does do research, thank you.

You just love to demolish my scientific idols, don't you? :(
Erm... do you think Dotsie's comments may have been aimed at Patrick Moore? The guy you mentioned (who I've never heard of) clearly does have a doctorate, that's why he's called 'Doctor'. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 am

Actually, it was Dr Karl I was referring to, who as far as I am aware doesn't have a doctorate. He has a medical degree (which is not the same thing as a scientist, as was already mentioned by pip).

But if I have a reputation for destroying scientific idols, then I apologise. I hope that despite my scathing attack, Dr Karl remains undestroyed.
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am

OK, I've googled Dr Karl's research, and the only thing I could find was a research project on belly button fluff. The man is clearly a scientist, I stand corrected.

That wasn't destroying him, was it? He's very obviously a popular journalist/presenter.
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre