Looking for a really funny show. Suggestions?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 am

deldaisy wrote:HOW can anywhere in Italy be boriing????? :? :wink:

... it can ...
It seems you are enjoying Black Adder... it only gets better and better.

oh good, I have the second series with italian subtitles too, which is good 'cause if in the first season I had problems understanding Rowan Atkinson, I saw from the titles that there's Stephen Fry in this one, and I have problems with him too.. :roll:
Black Books IS good too. Ohhhhhhhh so many great shows! I am trying to gauge what humour you like.... me? I love all sorts at different times so its hard to come up with a suggestion.... and you KNOW what its like... you see a GREAT show on TV and tell EVERYONE how great it is and they see the only UNfunny episode ever put to air and they go.... hmmmm. And some of my suggestions are Australian and I am never sure how they translate overseas.... (Kath and Kim, Summer Heights High, We Can Be Heroes)
Sometimes I watch a link to a comedy sketch recommended on here and end up spending hours watching OTHER skits by the same comedian on youtube.... and that way you can bounce around for ages without having to watch a whole show.

I do that too, I just need a few points of start, like those who you all just gave me, and there I start, and when I find someone I like there I go with my own search. :wink:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:23 am

Miranda Richardson is fantastic as Queen Elizabeth in Black Adder 2. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby archerinwood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Angry Boys is hilarious (look on bbc iplayer on bbc 3). Blackadder and the young ones are good too.
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:10 am

deldaisy wrote:And some of my suggestions are Australian and I am never sure how they translate overseas.... (Kath and Kim, We Can Be Heroes)

I can't watch Kath and Kim because are two names and if I write names on youtube I just get a lot of videos of little girls or something like that.
We Can Be Heroes... is it the one I found with Chris Lilley playing all the roles in a fake competition? If it is, I have to say it is about one of the strangest thing I've ever seen :lol: how can he play an arrogant man, a hot girl, a weird housewife... I've seen two episodes of that, is it long?
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:24 am

Crys, try Googling "Kath and Kim" with the quotation marks and then selecting videos on the Google page. That'll get you to the relevant YouTube pages. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Chris Lilley is amazing. He plays everything from teen girls to middle aged housewifes, to a Chinese physic student being an aborigine on stage :D

The series "we can be heros" is a send up of the national yearly "Australian of the Year" awards we have here. Someone gets nominated then the commitee investigates WHY they should be Australian of the year in quite a few catagories. Its six episodes. Its a limited series as are all of Chris Lilley's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Be_ ... f_the_Year

Kath & Kim is about a mother and daughter in suburban Australia. (Thrown in are Kaths husband Kel, Kim husband (ex) Brett, and Kim's best friend basketball player Sharon) Some of their catchphrases are ingrained in our vocabulary. :D (Noiiiiice. Its different, its unusual.... yeah. Look at moi... look at moi!) International artists all fought to get an invite to appear on the show (Michael Buble, Kylie Minogue).

Don't watch the American version. It was rubbish and was stopped thankfully a few episodes in.

http://www.kathandkim.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kath_&_Kim
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Oh .... and French and Saunders :D :D :D Thats a MUST!

We did this sketch way way back in a comedy show.... so I knew the routine..... I actually gave this talk to my daughter when she was a teen :D :D :D (its okay... she HAS a sense of humour).

I was reminded of this one on the weekend when I heard noises coming from my bedroom when I had the now 24yr old over for the oil riggers UNbirthday. I walked into my room and found the daughter with one of my hardback DW books!!!!! BASHING AND BASHING AND BASHING it on the bedroom floor :D :D :D ... when the oil rigger and her boyfriend came up to see what was going on she looked up and said,, "Just making sure Mum doesn't get pregnant! Always practise safe sex she told me!" :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blfvIvl6Hmo&feature=fvst
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:16 pm

very funny, I hadn't seen that one before :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned these, and they is a bit old now, but "Porridge" and "Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister" were always quality comedy. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre