Looking for a really funny show. Suggestions?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 am

Watch it to make up your own mind i suppose. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:00 am

I will. I've found a guy who posted at least first and second series in english with italian subtitles, so I'll start from there, and then move to third and fourth ^_^ I've found a wiki list of episodes, so I'll be able to watch it all in order. Thanks everyone ^_^
CrysaniaMajere

Postby author3 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:41 am

Outnumbered
Fawlty Towers
One Foot in the Grave
Father Ted
Only Fools and Horses
The Green Green Grass
The Royle Family

are all really good shows
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby raisindot » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Noticed you're in Italy, so not sure how fluent you are in English, or how much access you have to American shows (or how far back you want to go), but:

If I were recommending pure funny American shows, I'd start with the first five seasons of The Simpsons or South Park. Most other American shows don't translate quite as well or have as much lasting power (when I watch Seinfeld or Friends today, I find myself wondering why I found them so funny back then).
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

There is a new series called Campus it's a mixture of Green Wing with a bit of the Office. And the best soap to come out of America is called "SOAP"I thought it was funny and you may recognise some Hollywood stars in it before they were mega famous.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 am

raisindot wrote:Noticed you're in Italy, so not sure how fluent you are in English, or how much access you have to American shows (or how far back you want to go), but:

If I were recommending pure funny American shows, I'd start with the first five seasons of The Simpsons or South Park. Most other American shows don't translate quite as well or have as much lasting power (when I watch Seinfeld or Friends today, I find myself wondering why I found them so funny back then).

I watched all Friends seasons in English without problems, and saw The Simpsons in italian on TV 'cause my bf loves it, by frankly I didn't like South Park. I've also already watched Seinfeld on italian TV.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Oh my goodness, I just saw Blackadder 1 ... I don't think that Blackadder 2 will actually be a continuation, will it? They just kept the names and the actor, and made a whole new show that has nothing to do with the first, didn't they? Oh well, anyway I quite liked the first series, especially the Queen, even if she had a little part. Will see the second series soon.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:47 pm

It's a sort of history of the Blackadder family. The next series (series 2) he is a courtier to Queen Elizabeth 1. Series 3 he is the manservant of the Prince Regent at the time of King George 3 (the mad one :lol: ) and series 4 he is an officer during WW1.

Baldrick is a lot more intelligent in series 1. He goes rapidly downhill after that. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:52 pm

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!

You want youtube comedies to watch..... AT WORK???? :shock: :shock:

Forget the recommendations for the comedy shows.... what the hell job do you have???? :shock: :shock:

and do they have a vacancy?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

deldaisy wrote:WAIT! WAIT! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!

You want youtube comedies to watch..... AT WORK???? :shock: :shock:

Forget the recommendations for the comedy shows.... what the hell job do you have???? :shock: :shock:

and do they have a vacancy?

ok, you seem to be on the wrong track here, 'cause I can assure you it's not all that funny here.
I run a newspaper shop or however it's called in English, which means that from 7.30 am to 6.40pm if I have to take the bus, or 7.30 pm if my bf drives me home, I'm stuck in this shop by myself.
I'm not on the internet all day, I just download what I want to see, then watch it when I have time (and it takes some time because from time to time I get interrupted, unfortunately not as often as I'd hope) and then delete the whole thing 'cause it takes a lot of space.
and I live in the dullest place on earth, and I live in Italy, and blablabla a lot of boring stuff you don't want to know, I need something to distract me!!

Any other suggestions will be appreciated and go on my list, since it looks like I'll be here for quite some time :P
CrysaniaMajere

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm

HOW can anywhere in Italy be boriing????? :? :wink:

It seems you are enjoying Black Adder... it only gets better and better.

Black Books IS good too. Ohhhhhhhh so many great shows! I am trying to gauge what humour you like.... me? I love all sorts at different times so its hard to come up with a suggestion.... and you KNOW what its like... you see a GREAT show on TV and tell EVERYONE how great it is and they see the only UNfunny episode ever put to air and they go.... hmmmm. And some of my suggestions are Australian and I am never sure how they translate overseas.... (Kath and Kim, Summer Heights High, We Can Be Heroes)

If a whole episode of anything is hard try little skits on youtube.

Sometimes I watch a link to a comedy sketch recommended on here and end up spending hours watching OTHER skits by the same comedian on youtube.... and that way you can bounce around for ages without having to watch a whole show.

So try "Tommy Cooper"... he's always good for a quick laugh... any of the "Monty Python" skits..... Just pick a comedian you like and hit youtube.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Fawlty Towers is on youtube too :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm

DaveC wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:How about Father Ted? That's available on YouTube. :D

Seconded, also try, Red Dwarf, Spaced, Big Train. Green Wing. Campus... :D

Are you in my house? :shock: :lol:
spideyGirl

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 am

Okay, so, where do I begin?

The League of Gentlemen and Bottom may not be safe for you to download at work. However, if you can get them at home, you might like them. People have already recommended Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, Black Books, and Blackadder. I'll add The Young Ones and The Big Bang Theory to that list.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:11 am

Quatermass wrote:I'll add The Big Bang Theory to that list.

That one we got in Italy too, so I already saw it on tv :P Both me and my bf loved it :D

I'll check the other one, thanks
CrysaniaMajere

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre