Doctor Who: The Rebel Flesh

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun May 29, 2011 5:21 pm

penners river song died in the library mate :wink:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
User avatar
chris.ph
Member
 
Posts: 8612
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:52 am
Location: swansea south wales

Postby Penfold » Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Good point Chris, but since when has that stopped them. With any time travel sci-fi, there is always room for paradoxes......a universal storyline 'get out of jail free' card, sort off. :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Postby chris.ph » Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm

and i enjoyed them both :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
User avatar
chris.ph
Member
 
Posts: 8612
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:52 am
Location: swansea south wales

Postby author3 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Ugh I hate River I was so happy when she died 2 years ago
But then she returned last year I was so annoyed
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
User avatar
author3
Member
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am
Location: Sunnydale Highschool

Postby pandasthumb » Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 am

Penfold wrote:Good point Chris, but since when has that stopped them. With any time travel sci-fi, there is always room for paradoxes......a universal storyline 'get out of jail free' card, sort off. :wink:


indeed, how many times can they bring the Time Lords back? You know, the ones the Dr killed. Last one he said. Liar liar pants on fire says I.

I feel there are a lot of plot holes in this one, many assumptions that I am being asked to make. I wouldn't pass it as a narrative. I would send it back with 'more linking between ideas needed' scribbled across.

I enjoy Rory, he is quite interesting as a character.
User avatar
pandasthumb
Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 am
Location: Australia

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 am

I didn't 'get' why Rory became so attached to the girl in these two episodes. In past episodes he's been totally devoted to Amy and then, as soon as the girl from the British version of Wallander turns up, he's like a love-sick puppy. :?

I like Rory - I'm kind of fed up with the whole girl-in-love-with-Doctor thing. The Doctor should have more male companions. Patrick Troughton's Doctor with Frazer Hines's Jamie, were a great partnership. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28783
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Willem » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 am

Spoilers for The Almost People inside in tiny letters!


Dídn't much like either of this two-parter. I mentally tuned out a couple of times watching the first episode. At least the second one had some interesting ideas like the 'flesh graveyard', Amy telling the Doctor about his death believing it was the fake one and most importantly, by highlighting the 'plastic Doctor might be the one we saw killed in the first episode' thing we're pretty much guaranteed they won't use that predictable turn of events :)
Last edited by Willem on Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
User avatar
Willem
Member
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Weert, The Netherlands

Postby Quatermass » Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 am

Well, I just watched The Rebel Flesh, and I'm not sure why people say it is boring. It is slower paced, to be sure, but it's about the same pace as many a classic series story, and I think it works well with the psychological horror angle, the whole thing about the Gangers becoming 'human'. It feels like the bastard offspring of Malcolm Hulke's work and Fury from the Deep (am I the only one who thinks Cleaves, the bitch forewoman, was basically a female version of Robson from Fury from the Deep?).

It's not quite as good as The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon and The Doctor's Wife, but it's much better than the very average Curse of the Black Spot. The most egregious fault in the writing is that Jennifer suddenly snaps from being angsty to villainous at the end of this particular episode with virtually no transition. If she was more overtly fearful than venomous when she did that, I might understand.

And keep in mind that I went in thinking that it would be boring.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby pandasthumb » Mon May 30, 2011 8:45 am

Tonyblack wrote: The Doctor should have more male companions. Patrick Troughton's Doctor with Frazer Hines's Jamie, were a great partnership. :D


Apparently Patrick and Frazer would try to work 'gee Dr that's a big one', or words to that effect into the script of every story. (They unsuccessfully tried to get Wendy to make this remark about the rocket in Seeds of Death).

I guess Rory (being a nurse) has a caring nature, (the need to nurture?) and here was a weak, defenceless female who would let him be the big, strong man. I find it interesting after the brilliant 'I hate Amy, kill Amy' scene in the tardis... :shock:
User avatar
pandasthumb
Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 am
Location: Australia

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 am

Quatermass wrote:Well, I just watched The Rebel Flesh, and I'm not sure why people say it is boring. It is slower paced, to be sure, but it's about the same pace as many a classic series story, and I think it works well with the psychological horror angle, the whole thing about the Gangers becoming 'human'. It feels like the bastard offspring of Malcolm Hulke's work and Fury from the Deep (am I the only one who thinks Cleaves, the bitch forewoman, was basically a female version of Robson from Fury from the Deep?).

It's not quite as good as The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon and The Doctor's Wife, but it's much better than the very average Curse of the Black Spot. The most egregious fault in the writing is that Jennifer suddenly snaps from being angsty to villainous at the end of this particular episode with virtually no transition. If she was more overtly fearful than venomous when she did that, I might understand.

And keep in mind that I went in thinking that it would be boring.
I didn't think it was boring - I said it was pants. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28783
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Quatermass » Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 am

pandasthumb wrote:
Tonyblack wrote: The Doctor should have more male companions. Patrick Troughton's Doctor with Frazer Hines's Jamie, were a great partnership. :D


Apparently Patrick and Frazer would try to work 'gee Dr that's a big one', or words to that effect into the script of every story. (They unsuccessfully tried to get Wendy to make this remark about the rocket in Seeds of Death).


They did that in The Two Doctors too. :lol:

And then, there were...other incidents. Like that time during rehearsals where they undid the skirt of Wendy Padbury while she was dozing, and she ended up curtseying to a vicar in her knickers.

Or a time when they were rehearsing The Mind Robber, and every time Emrys Jones (the actor playing the Master of the Land of Fiction) said "I have your dossiers right here", Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines would clutch their groins and wince in pain. :lol:

But yeah, it's about time the Doctor had an interesting male companion. The last one in the classic series, Turlough, wasn't too bad.

pandasthumb wrote:I guess Rory (being a nurse) has a caring nature, (the need to nurture?) and here was a weak, defenceless female who would let him be the big, strong man. I find it interesting after the brilliant 'I hate Amy, kill Amy' scene in the tardis... :shock:


And not just that. Later on, when he learns that the Jennifer he was helping was a Ganger, it's probably his sympathy for her existential angst. After all, he's been there, done that. He was turned into an Auton Replica and endured two millennia of all sorts of crap. In fact, I reckon that because of that, he and the Doctor have more of a rapport now than ever, because they both know what it is like to endure for such a long time.

Tonyblack wrote:I didn't think it was boring - I said it was pants. :P


Was it? Seemed to be more jumpsuits in that story than pants. :)
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:08 am

Just watched the next episode, The Almost People. Less good than the first episode, less psychological horror and more out and out horror, but still pretty good. Very scary to see the Doctor act like that, especially when you find out that it's the real one. I don't think he's been that manipulative since his seventh incarnation.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Tonyblack wrote:...
I like Rory - I'm kind of fed up with the whole girl-in-love-with-Doctor thing. The Doctor should have more male companions. Patrick Troughton's Doctor with Frazer Hines's Jamie, were a great partnership. :D


I couldn't agree more, which is why I think Donna and Rory are so refreshing :D
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Postby author3 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 am

I hated last night's episode Matt Smith didn't regenerate :x
Ugh I hate him
And the story was bad
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
User avatar
author3
Member
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am
Location: Sunnydale Highschool

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:47 am

It went down well in our house :D
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests