Who should play Mustrum Ridcully?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:He's a bit too old now, but Nigel Planer would have been a good Rincewind. :)

Yes, and, of course, Eric Idle is another could-be-if-he-weren't-so-old. Except, of course, with voice roles.

Hmmm...what about Mark Strickson? He's not exactly prime Rincewind material nowadays, but what about when younger? He plays a good 'sh**-me-pants-scared' moment...
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby jaeger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Ooo ! Ooo ! Ridcully . . . . How about Eddie Izzard ? And Paul Whitehouse as Rincwind ?

Reaches for coat
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Ooh! Ooh! I just thought of a good one who could have been a great Rincewind, but may not be now except through voiceovers. Michael Keating, aka Vila from Blake's 7. If you don't believe me, watch this clip from The City at the End of the World where he is forced to confront Colin Baker's Bayban the Butcher, and see if you don't see a lot of Rincewind in his performance.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby jaeger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Good choice . . . but surely we should be looking for who'd fit now . . . .
Seems a little bizarre , but Johnny Depps' Cap'n Jack Sparrow just flickered across my mind as a rincewind type :?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby Macarona » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Quatermass wrote:Jeremy Clarkson's not an actor. The only acting he does is acting up!

Brian Blessed all the way.

Love that idea!
All the if clarkson and blessed combined together that would be the best
"'I believe you were an alcoholic sir Samuel'
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
The fifth elephant/The wit and wisdom of discworld
Macarona

Postby SimsKatie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Quatermass wrote:Jeremy Clarkson's not an actor. The only acting he does is acting up!

Now I'm trying to picture Clarkson in a beard. He does like shooting things...

Brian Blessed all the way.

Now that's a choice I can get behind! He does have knack for loud, obtuse characters.[/i]
SimsKatie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Clarkeson has acted - sort of. He voiced a character (Harv) in the UK version of 'Cars'. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby David Brown » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:33 pm

I still see David Thewlis as Rincewind.

Timothy West would never have been my first choice for Ridcully, but I thought he did a good job of it.

I do agree that Ian McNiece would make a good Dean, though.
David Brown

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:00 pm

James Cosmo was very good as Galder Weatherwax in the Colour of Magic movie. He could have played Ridcully as well I think. :)
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Tonyblack wrote:James Cosmo was very good as Galder Weatherwax in the Colour of Magic movie. He could have played Ridcully as well I think. :)
I agree, I liked his tough as nails Father Christmas in the 2005 Narnia. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Antiq » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Michael Gambon :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby David Brown » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Quatermass wrote:Whereas Tom Baker is just bats*** crazy. But if I had to choose a member of the Unseen University faculty he could play, well, the Bursar springs to mind, if we can mentally transform the Bursar from a thin scrawny type into a beefy type.

I don't see him going potty because Ridcully makes him nervous, though, which is, surely, the reason for the Bursar's reliance on dried frog pills?
jaeger wrote:Dunno about Ridcully but I could see Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rincewind . . . I guess though that's kinda type casting from the Rodney in Only Fools and Horses and Adam in Butterflies. But also for his tall and gangly appearance.

Now he's not so young, I could see him as the Bursar.
Quatermass wrote:Nicholas Lyndhurst? Well, I did see him as Uriah Heep in David Copperfield, and he might work. Does anyone thing David Tennant is too handsome to play Rincewind? I mean, he has the running and thin thing down.

Other alternatives? Well, someone mentioned Mackenzie Crook at one stage, didn't they? On this board, I mean. Or maybe Bruce Spence?

I think that David Jason was a good Rincewind in that he had the personality if not the looks.

I could see David Tennant as the Bursar, if aged up a bit, same with Mackenzie Crook, although, yes, I can see Crook as Rincewind, easily, but I still favour David Thewlis.

Surely Bruce Spence is (a) too old, and (b) more likely to be found in Bugarup University? With his height, he could also play Death without lifts in his shoes, however.

I disagree with you about David Jason.
David Brown

Postby ramtopsman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Might just have to wait until UU to find out if it will be david jason =/

(Sorry i honestly dont see him as rincewind (NOT DUE TO AGE) (his age was never mentioned in the 1st two books)

I would like to see Chris O'Dowd just a shame ive never heard an english accent by him

Or maybe a previous pratchett movie goer Ian Bonar (With a beard ofcourse)

Will think of some more
Check out all things pratchett at

www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman
ramtopsman

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:58 pm

ramtopsman wrote:Might just have to wait until UU to find out if it will be david jason =/

(Sorry i honestly dont see him as rincewind (NOT DUE TO AGE) (his age was never mentioned in the 1st two books)

I would like to see Chris O'Dowd just a shame ive never heard an english accent by him

Or maybe a previous pratchett movie goer Ian Bonar (With a beard ofcourse)

Will think of some more
But Rincewind's age was mentioned (sort of) in Colour of Magic.

In the bit where he and Twoflower find themselves aboard a plane, Rincewind is described as Dr. Rjinswand, a 33 year old bachelor, born in Sweden and raised in New Jersey.*

*Reference from the New Discworld Companion
Last edited by Tonyblack on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Ramtopsman: For a Chris O' Dowd English accent watch last year's Gulliver's Travels where if plays the Liliputian Army Chief guy. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre