Who should play Mustrum Ridcully?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I'd vote for Michael Gambon. His Dumbledore was a bit too mellow, but he can do bluster and imbecility as good as anyone when he wants to.

Were he still alive and a foot taller, Leo McKern would have made a great Ridcully.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Gambon would be very good. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 am

raisindot wrote:I'd vote for Michael Gambon. His Dumbledore was a bit too mellow, but he can do bluster and imbecility as good as anyone when he wants to.

Were he still alive and a foot taller, Leo McKern would have made a great Ridcully.

I agree regarding Leo McKern. His Number Two from The Prisoner was well done. :)
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Rincewind-Type of cheese? » Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 am

When I was watching Hogfather, the chap who played Ridcully (was it Timothy West) reminded me of Brian Blessed. It is something about the voice. I think Brian Blessed would be perfect for the role. He definitely has a commanding aura.
Ho! The megapode!
Rincewind-Type of cheese?

Postby Quatermass » Fri May 13, 2011 9:04 am

Rincewind-Type of cheese? wrote:When I was watching Hogfather, the chap who played Ridcully (was it Timothy West) reminded me of Brian Blessed. It is something about the voice. I think Brian Blessed would be perfect for the role. He definitely has a commanding aura.

Joss Ackland played Ridcully in Hogfather, but Timothy West did play Ridcully in Going Postal.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Emberella » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:02 am

I think if you spliced Michael Gambon and Brian Blessed, that might be closer to they way I imagine Ridcully.
Emberella

Postby feanor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:27 am

Ayup All...

I always get Windsor Davies in my Head...
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 am

Have you consulted a doctor?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby jaeger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 am

Dunno about Ridcully but I could see Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rincewind . . . I guess though that's kinda type casting from the Rodney in Only Fools and Horses and Adam in Butterflies. But also for his tall and gangly appearance.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:16 am

I know what you mean about NL's build, but I think he's a bit too old.

Having said that............. David Jason. :shock: :roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

Rhys Ifans could probably play a passable Rincewind. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:34 am

Nicholas Lyndhurst? Well, I did see him as Uriah Heep in David Copperfield, and he might work. Does anyone thing David Tennant is too handsome to play Rincewind? I mean, he has the running and thin thing down.

Other alternatives? Well, someone mentioned Mackenzie Crook at one stage, didn't they? On this board, I mean. Or maybe Bruce Spence?

I think that David Jason was a good Rincewind in that he had the personality if not the looks.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby jaeger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 pm

I think David Jason was a better Albert and to old and miscast for rincewind . . . just my opinion Image
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:35 pm

jaeger wrote:I think David Jason was a better Albert and to old and miscast for rincewind . . . just my opinion Image

Too old, yes, but I think he had the right attitude. I mean, seriously, put a beard on Del Boy, and that could be Rincewind.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:43 pm

He's a bit too old now, but Nigel Planer would have been a good Rincewind. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre