Jennifer Garner to play Miss Marple?!?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Jennifer Garner to play Miss Marple?!?

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am

I would be ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING, but I am standing in the rain waiting for a bus!

LINK. :)

:shock:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 am

And there I was just about to post this.......

Agatha Christie's famous elderly sleuth Miss Marple is to get a shock makeover - Jennifer Garner is the surprise choice to play the iconic character in Disney's modern day re-invention of the series.

Instead of the mature spinster who solves crimes in an English village, the revamped version will star Hollywood beauty Garner, 38. It's not yet known if the film's setting will be in America or the UK.

Actresses who have played the sleuth include Dame Margaret Rutherford, Gracie Fields and Joan Hickson. Angela Lansbury also played the heroine in 1980's 'The Mirror Crack'd' alongside Dame Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis.

'Twin Peaks' screenwriter Mark Frost will be on writing duties for the re-invention of one of the most famous fictional sleuths ever created. According to the LA Times, Disney are "looking to do a contemporary version with an edge".

While some fans of the much loved character will be up in arms over the decision to go younger for Miss Marple, Warner Bros' recent attempt to re-invent another fictional detective for a new generation was a huge success. 'Sherlock Holmes' was a hit with both fans of the series and newcomers. A sequel will be released at the end of the year.

Garner will reportedly act as producer on the movie as well.

Three letters spring to mind - F.F.S.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 am

Sorry I beat you to it Bouncy :wink:

I hope she keeps her Elektra sais in her handbag- :lol:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 am

Her what now?

Has the bus come yet?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:27 am

WTF?

...Okay. Yeah. It might work, but shouldn't they do it in the same way they re-invented Sherlock Holmes for that Sherlock TV series?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 am

To be fair... Agatha Christie never liked Margaret Rutherford playing the part... she always intended Miss Marple to be much much younger and not so doddery....

But JENNIFER GARNER????

Sorry guys.... I am not geographically challenged.... but I don't GET Americans playing VERY English characters.

I never liked Renee Zeldwegger playing that diary chic either.

Miss Marple is ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 am

deldaisy wrote:To be fair... Agatha Christie never liked Margaret Rutherford playing the part... she always intended Miss Marple to be much much younger and not so doddery....

But JENNIFER GARNER????

Sorry guys.... I am not geographically challenged.... but I don't GET Americans playing VERY English characters.

So were Frodo and Sherlock Holmes, and yet both Elijah Wood and Robert Downey Junior played their respective roles very well. I think the problem is the calibre of the actor.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 am

So was Pooh, before Disney came along. :(

(ps I liked Renee Zeldwegger in Bridget Jones' Diary.)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:35 am

So did I. But Robert Downey Jr, might have been brilliant for all I know because I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Mumbler!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 am

deldaisy wrote:To be fair... Agatha Christie never liked Margaret Rutherford playing the part... she always intended Miss Marple to be much much younger and not so doddery....

But JENNIFER GARNER????

Agatha Christie stated that her ideal actress to play Miss Marple was Joan Hickson.

Mrs Christie was spot on!

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 am

Talking about British accents, what about Russell Crowe in Robin Hood? To be fair - he did try and do lots of different British accents during that film. His Liverpudlian was very good. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:57 am

Ah, the wonderful Joan Hickson. Just as you would expect Miss Marple to have been. What an actress.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Talking about British accents, what about Russell Crowe in Robin Hood? To be fair - he did try and do lots of different British accents during that film. His Liverpudlian was very good. :lol:

Robin Hood was set in Toxteth? Who knew? :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Talking about British accents, what about Russell Crowe in Robin Hood? To be fair - he did try and do lots of different British accents during that film. His Liverpudlian was very good. :lol:

He's a Kiwi, that's close enough to a British accent. Ditto...wasn't Cate Blanchett in that movie?

Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:

Robin Hood was set in Toxteth? Who knew? :lol:
Rob from the rich and keep it. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre