Depressed about Radiohead's new album

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Depressed about Radiohead's new album

Postby raisindot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Let it be said up front that I'm a Radiohead fanatic. As an old fogey who all but gave up listening to popular music after 1980, Radiohead restored my faith that they were actually groups out there that could put out music that was as good as the stuff from my era.

But after listening to samples of the band's new album (coming out this week), King of Limbs, I'm totally depressed. Is that what I waited two years for?

Just about every song sounds like the stuff on Thom Yorke's solo album. Lots of preprogrammed nevous electronic drum rhythms, heavy synth stuff, cold, sterile stuff with barely any guitars. There was only one track that seemed to resemble anything of its previous work. Since I am an RH lemming, I'm going to buy it anyway but I will do so with a heavy heart.
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 pm

It was the Arctic Monkeys for me. First album brill, second OK, third complete dross. :(

I loved OK computer, and Creep is one of my fave songs ever. :P
I saw Radiohead about 5 years ago and they were a big disappointment, so haven't listened to anything since.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:18 am

You can listen to the whole album here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/ma ... mbs-stream

I listened to the first and last tracks and it's a bit bland.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:40 am

poohcarrot wrote:It was the Arctic Monkeys for me. First album brill, second OK, third complete dross. :(

Agree. And The Enemy. And Oasis.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Willem » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 am

At least the Spice Girls albums were consistent :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

Willem wrote:At least the Spice Girls albums were consistent :)

Well there is that to say about them yes :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby raisindot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 am

poohcarrot wrote:It was the Arctic Monkeys for me. First album brill, second OK, third complete dross. :(

I loved OK computer, and Creep is one of my fave songs ever. :P
I saw Radiohead about 5 years ago and they were a big disappointment, so haven't listened to anything since.

Thanks for the warning on the Monkeys. I like the first two albums a lot, even though you can have a little bit too much of the "She's getting dressed we're going to the club dancing drinking going home having sex" bit, but never liked the third.

If you haven't heard it, get Radiohead's "The Bends," which is nearly as good as OK Computer. The double-CD version is fantastic, since it has a whole bunch of outtakes that themselves are better than just about every other band's regular songs.

Still haven't seen them live, and not sure I will this time if they play the King of Limbs stuff.
raisindot

Return to TV, film, theatre