Dr Who question

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pandasthumb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 am

I think I started with John Pertwee, but I really remember Tom Baker the best and I can remember being absolutley terrified by that story where the hand of the statue comes alive and starts crawling around. Ohh and the Spiders. Oh oh and terror of the Autons really freaked me out - shop dummies coming to life bbbbbrrrrreeewwwjjjkkkkk!

I am told that there were multicoloured Daleks for the Peter Cushing Movie. My husband has a red remote control one that says 'people of London ... you will be exterrrrminated!'

I like the fact that the ironside dalek wanted to make me tea, but the rest of that episode was, frankly star wars. (and a christmas Carol was Star Trek).

but what ho, Broadsword to Danny boy!
User avatar
pandasthumb
Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 am
Location: Australia

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 am

Tonyblack wrote:Yep the Cyber Men were scarier than the Daleks when I was a kid.

So...

If you could go to a garden centre and buy a life sized replica of a weeping angel for your garden, would you? :wink:


That would be sooo cool! I'd get one. Although it might freak me out at night but could be a good anti burglary device, especially if you lit it up a bit at night. Tony, think you are on to something there. They are very scary, which is very clever isn't it because they don't really do anything, no need for fancy effects! I thought that about the 'Midnight' episode as well, brilliantly clever and featured a young Merlin to boot!

Penfold wrote:It was, for me, the scariest episodes as well (are you my mummy? freaked me out) but I was really thinking about recurring opponents rather than singular appearances. Personally, I always found the Cybermen to be scarier than the Daleks when I was young.


Yep, Cybermen, way more scary. And my lad loves winding/freaky me out by imitating (very well) that childs haunting voice, "Are you my mummy". :shock:
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Postby bikkit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:26 am

Cybermen are definatly more scary than daleks.

whenever anybody mentions Midnight, I start copying them untill they freak out. :twisted:
Image

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
User avatar
bikkit
Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am
Location: Out of my mind- It's too dark and scary in there

Postby WannabeAngua » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:45 am

bikkit wrote:whenever anybody mentions Midnight, I start copying them untill they freak out. :twisted:


That is pure evil that is :lol:
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
User avatar
WannabeAngua
Member
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 am

bikkit wrote:Cybermen are definatly more scary than daleks.

whenever anybody mentions Midnight, I start copying them untill they freak out. :twisted:


I always thought that the creature from Midnight was a memetic (ie, conceptual) one.

While my personal favourite monster from the series is the Cybermen, I feel that the best done, particularly in their debut story and the story that revived them in the new series, were the 'Silurians', aka Earth Reptiles. Doctor Who and the Silurians by Malcolm Hulke and The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood by Chris Chibnall were the best stories to feature them because they portrayed them both sympathetically and as individual characters.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 am

I don't care what they throw at us this season.... I CAN'T WAIT!

As my teen used to say at the end of EVERY episode last year...

"That was the best episode EVER!" :D

Oh and my 23yr old was saying this afternoon.... in the preview for the new season.... did you see the space suits? THEY were in the library episode with the darkness.... rememeber?... thats when Rivers was there....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Silence will fall!

Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby bikkit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

Silence will fall!


Once in art class my teacher tried to shut us up by shouting SILENCE and about five people (me included) all said at the same time WILL FALL in that really creepy voice.

The teacher was not amused.

question- Is it stange that I think daleks are kind of cute? The old ones even have big blue eyes for pete's sake!
Image

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
User avatar
bikkit
Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am
Location: Out of my mind- It's too dark and scary in there

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

But one of the scary things about the Cybermen and Daleks is that they have no real character. They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality. I think this is something that a lot of people can identify with and therefore fear - it's about being a faceless number with no voice. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28886
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby bikkit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 am

Silence will fall!


Once in art class my teacher tried to shut us up by shouting SILENCE and about five people (me included) all said at the same time WILL FALL in that really creepy voice.

The teacher was not amused.

question- Is it stange that I think daleks are kind of cute? The old ones even have big blue eyes for pete's sake!
Image

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
User avatar
bikkit
Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am
Location: Out of my mind- It's too dark and scary in there

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am

Tonyblack wrote:But one of the scary things about the Cybermen and Daleks is that they have no real character. They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality. I think this is something that a lot of people can identify with and therefore fear - it's about being a faceless number with no voice. :D


Reminds me of the phone call I had to make today.... except this one HAD a voice... an automaton voice.... you know.. those services with voice recognition...

Really important call... means I do or do not get money this week... and I got most of the way through and then a question came up with a yes or no answer and I didn't have a yes or no answer.... so I said "Question not applicable".... and it just KEPT REPEATING... "please answer yes or no" ARGH!!!... so then I kept repeating "Need operator" in a nice calm voice, because if your voice changes from the voice recognition one you recorded originally it goes into "voice not recognised; security alert" mode.....

FINALLY got an operator! By some fluke of fortune.....
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 am

Sometimes hitting zero several times on your phone will cause it to put you through to a real person - sometimes. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28886
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby bikkit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 am

sorry about the double post :oops:

computer spazzed up
Image

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
User avatar
bikkit
Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am
Location: Out of my mind- It's too dark and scary in there

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 am

I don't think its you bikkit.. I have been getting that CGI error thing all night.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 am

Tonyblack wrote:But one of the scary things about the Cybermen and Daleks is that they have no real character. They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality. I think this is something that a lot of people can identify with and therefore fear - it's about being a faceless number with no voice. :D


While I agree with the Cybermen having no character (well, except for the Cyberleaders of the 1980s stories, as played by David "EXCELLENT" Banks), I disagree about the Daleks.

At their best, Daleks try to break down individuality, but they are far too pedantic about racial purity. In fact, I reckon that if Daleks didn't have enemies to exterminate, they'd fall into civil war pretty swiftly. They have at least twice, although one was caused by the Doctor, and the other by Davros.

I think the key is that the Cybermen pretty much suppress all their ego with their emotion and differences, whereas Daleks are nothing but ego and emotion. In fact, there's a wonderful little line in the new series episode Doomsday where the Doctor talks to a Dalek about what it is like to be one.

See, you're inside your casing. Not feeling anything. Ever. From birth to death, locked inside a cold metal cage. Completely alone. ...That explains your voice. No wonder you scream...


In fact, that sort of hysteria due to isolation was part of the rationale behind the original Dalek voices, as portrayed by Peter Hawkins and David Graham. If anyone here has the DVD of The Dalek Invasion of Earth, look up the special feature Talking Daleks. And those two voice actors gave Daleks individual personalities. Hawkins usually played, in Graham's words, 'the guv'nor'.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 am

Tonyblack wrote: They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality..


Was sooo scared of the Borg

Image
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest