POOHS PROMISED PYTHON PLACE

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 am

I was watching John Boorman's 'Excalibur' recently and chuckling at the scene where Percival has to answer the disembodied voice's riddle. It's very much like the "WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" bit in Holy Grail.

See here. (around 6.05) Watch out for guest starring role by Quoth the Ravenin the earlier part of the clip. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

pip wrote:
WannabeAngua wrote:Hard to choose, but I think the knights who say "Ni" are really funny

“First you must find... another shrubbery! (dramatic chord) Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!”
:lol:

Staying out of the questions part of this thread though - don't want to be smacked with a fish!

Good call, both the quote and avoision of fish slappery . :lol:

Well, it was like Pooh wasn't even trying. Perceived lack of effort and attention makes Quatermass...well, Quatermass goes 'short fuse' to 'sweaty gelignite', if you get my meaning.

Actually, WannabeAngua, if you want, you can do the next question, or else pip can. Clearly, my efforts are too far out of the box.

But seriously, Eric Idle's mother is said to strongly resemble Mary Whitehouse. She even appeared on stage for Michael Palin's birthday as a surprise 'guest' during a Monty Python tour in the 70s.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Quatermass wrote
Actually, WannabeAngua, if you want, you can do the next question, or else pip can. Clearly, my efforts are too far out of the box.

Nah, you go ahead Q. It's fun watching other people getting smacked about with any kind of water living creatures - as long as I'm not on the receiving end I'm ok with it :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Okay...

What was the most expensive movie ticket in history, and who paid for it? (Hint: Think about real-life stuff rather than a Python sketch)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Beatle Trivia mixed with Python.
Its all to do with the funding for the Life of Brian.
EMI paniced over the film and pulled funding . George Harrison read the script and wanted to see the film so he co founded a company to fund it which Terry Jones commented on as being the most expensive film ticket in History :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 pm

pip wrote:Beatle Trivia mixed with Python.
Its all to do with the funding for the Life of Brian.
EMI paniced over the film and pulled funding . George Harrison read the script and wanted to see the film so he co founded a company to fund it which Terry Jones commented on as being the most expensive film ticket in History :D

Booyah! Pip got it right! Go Ireland!

Your turn for a question then, Pip. :)

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 am

What, according to a character , was the only way to get the public back into the cinema. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 am

pip wrote:What, according to a character , was the only way to get the public back into the cinema. :D

Gratuitous pictures of penises, as the Lady Presenter said in The Meaning of Life. (I cheated a little there. I knew the character and the film, but not what they said, so I looked up Wikiquote to find out the details, as I don't have the scriptbook of The Meaning of Life handy)

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 am

close enough. she also points to gratuitous violence and filth :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 am

pip wrote:close enough. she also points to gratuitous violence and filth :lol:

Yeah, but the penises were the first subject mentioned. (I nearly said 'came first', but I didn't want to provoke puerile laughter) :roll:

Am I allowed to make another question?

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 am

you are. :D
And well done on holding back on the penises came first comment :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 am

pip wrote:you are. :D
And well done on holding back on the penises came first comment :lol:

I try.

Gimme a few minutes, I have another post to deal with...

Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:39 am

Ah, I got it. Which sketch did Victor Lownes have cut from And Now For Something Completely Different?

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:44 pm

That would be the one with Ken Shabby played by Michael Palin.
Mr Lownes , head of playboy thought the character too disgusting.
Thats standards for you. :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:34 am

Tonyblack wrote:I was watching John Boorman's 'Excalibur' recently and chuckling at the scene where Percival has to answer the disembodied voice's riddle. It's very much like the "WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" bit in Holy Grail.

Excalibur was much, much, much funnier than Holy Grail. Only they didn't intend it to be.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre