The World's Greatest Extra!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The World's Greatest Extra!

Postby DaveC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am

Meet Jesse Heiman, The Most Important Background Actor Of Our Generation

How many films/shows have you spotted him in?!?!

I recognized him the American Pie bit mainly and lots of others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdEBu7ODVk8&feature=player_embedded
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby deldaisy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 am

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035503/

:D

And something that has forever fascinated me about "Who IS that?"

Can you name the girl who has appeared in more hollywood productions than any other actress in history?

Well... there ARE a few contenders for this one... but if yu want to amaze and astound your peers at cultural events and dinner parties.....

The girl who holds the flaming torch in the Columbia logo...

Originally Claudia Dell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Dell

though there have been a few incantations over the years....
Identity
Jenny Joseph was used as a model for the current Columbia Pictures logo.The first model for the logo is unknown, and Columbia have said that they have no record or documentation. Women who have been said to be the Torch Lady include:

Claudia Dell: Bette Davis made a passing remark in her 1962 autobiography about "Little Claudia Dell, whose image was used as Columbia Pictures' signature for years".[27]
Rose Edna Turiello, who died in 1979, worked for Columbia Pictures in NYC in the 1930s; her husband James (died 1983) had photos from the original photo shoot of his wife who most definitely was the very first model. These photos contain the Columbia Pictures logo and show the model (Rose), with a garment drapped over her shoulders and holding a torch. In the 1990s it was determined by photo imaging that Rose was in fact the person used in the original depiction.[citation needed]
Amelia Bachelor, a Texas-born model and minor actress, in a 1987 article in People magazine recounted modeling for the logo after having been asked by Harry Cohn in 1936.[28][29][30]
Jane Bartholomew: A February 26, 2001 article in the Chicago Sun-Times (page 5), said "she was one of several extras ordered by Columbia boss Harry Cohn to pose as Miss Liberty", and "is certain the icon was based on her likeness".[31][32]
Evelyn Venable: It has also been reported that the model for the (1936–1976) logo was Evelyn Venable.[22][33]
It has been mistakenly rumored that Annette Bening was the model for the (1993–) logo. As a play on this urban legend, on What Planet Are You From? (2000), the Columbia logo was superimposed with Annette Bening's face.[34]
Jenny Joseph: A homemaker and mother of two, she was the model for the logo that has been used since 1992, as confirmed by the painter Michael Deas. The face of the on-screen lady is a composite
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby DaveC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 am

deldaisy wrote:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035503/

:D

And something that has forever fascinated me about "Who IS that?"

Can you name the girl who has appeared in more hollywood productions than any other actress in history?

Well... there ARE a few contenders for this one... but if yu want to amaze and astound your peers at cultural events and dinner parties.....

The girl who holds the flaming torch in the Columbia logo...

Originally Claudia Dell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Dell

though there have been a few incantations over the years....
Identity
Jenny Joseph was used as a model for the current Columbia Pictures logo.The first model for the logo is unknown, and Columbia have said that they have no record or documentation. Women who have been said to be the Torch Lady include:

Claudia Dell: Bette Davis made a passing remark in her 1962 autobiography about "Little Claudia Dell, whose image was used as Columbia Pictures' signature for years".[27]
Rose Edna Turiello, who died in 1979, worked for Columbia Pictures in NYC in the 1930s; her husband James (died 1983) had photos from the original photo shoot of his wife who most definitely was the very first model. These photos contain the Columbia Pictures logo and show the model (Rose), with a garment drapped over her shoulders and holding a torch. In the 1990s it was determined by photo imaging that Rose was in fact the person used in the original depiction.[citation needed]
Amelia Bachelor, a Texas-born model and minor actress, in a 1987 article in People magazine recounted modeling for the logo after having been asked by Harry Cohn in 1936.[28][29][30]
Jane Bartholomew: A February 26, 2001 article in the Chicago Sun-Times (page 5), said "she was one of several extras ordered by Columbia boss Harry Cohn to pose as Miss Liberty", and "is certain the icon was based on her likeness".[31][32]
Evelyn Venable: It has also been reported that the model for the (1936–1976) logo was Evelyn Venable.[22][33]
It has been mistakenly rumored that Annette Bening was the model for the (1993–) logo. As a play on this urban legend, on What Planet Are You From? (2000), the Columbia logo was superimposed with Annette Bening's face.[34]
Jenny Joseph: A homemaker and mother of two, she was the model for the logo that has been used since 1992, as confirmed by the painter Michael Deas. The face of the on-screen lady is a composite


I always thought the Columbia ladies were paintings, not actual ladies. :oops:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Re: The World's Greatest Extra!

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 am

DaveC wrote:Meet Jesse Heiman, The Most Important Background Actor Of Our Generation

How many films/shows have you spotted him in?!?!

I recognized him the American Pie bit mainly and lots of others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdEBu7ODVk8&feature=player_embedded
He could play Ponder Stibbons. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29211
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby DaveC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:15 am

Great idea! :lol:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

Marni Nixon has always fascinated me. You've almost certainly heard her in movies, even if you haven't seen her. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29211
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby DaveC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:Marni Nixon has always fascinated me. You've almost certainly heard her in movies, even if you haven't seen her. :D


Oh yeah! I heard about her, remembered once I clicked!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby Willem » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I spotted the guy in Transformers 3! It was pretty distracting :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
User avatar
Willem
Member
 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Weert, The Netherlands

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:44 am

Willem wrote:I spotted the guy in Transformers 3! It was pretty distracting :)


Me too!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby ChristianBecker » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:06 am

deldaisy wrote:though there have been a few incantations over the years....

Like necromantic incantations, when they needed her for a new Columbia movie after she had died? :P
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
User avatar
ChristianBecker
Member
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Bingen


Return to TV, film, theatre

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests