A Doctor Who marathon...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

A Doctor Who marathon...

Postby Quatermass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 am

On another BBS, I have what I call a Doctor Who review blog going. Basically, because I have pretty much every Doctor Who DVD released in Australia up to February this year, I've decided to watch them all, in order, at a minimum of one per week. Many of them, I haven't watched before.

I am currently up to watching the Patrick Troughton story The Dominators. I only started this a week and a half ago. :)
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:59 am

I liked some of those Patrick Troughton episodes.

I watched an episode (not from the original Troughton series) called The Two Doctors with Colin Baker. Troughton was great in that one. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 am

Tonyblack wrote:I liked some of those Patrick Troughton episodes.

I watched an episode (not from the original Troughton series) called The Two Doctors with Colin Baker. Troughton was great in that one. :lol:

Troughton's greatest two stories (that I've watched so far) were The Tomb of the Cybermen and The Mind Robber. But the only fully surviving story between them, The Dominators, was mediocre. Still, it has perhaps one of the goriest special effects that they ever put into an episode of black and white Doctor Who. They did it by superimposing footage of oil rippling of water over a photo of an actress, but the effect is surprisingly gruesome. It's about 50 seconds into this fan-made trailer for the story. But as you can tell from the rest of the trailer, it's a bit silly.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby DaveC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 am

Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 am

Oh, yeah. Read about that. Wish I didn't have to wait until next year, though.

Wish they'd hurry up and novelise the other stories Adams wrote, like The Pirate Planet and City of Death, not to mention Resurrection of the Daleks and Revelation of the Daleks.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby DaveC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

Quatermass wrote:

Oh, yeah. Read about that. Wish I didn't have to wait until next year, though.

Wish they'd hurry up and novelise the other stories Adams wrote, like The Pirate Planet and City of Death, not to mention Resurrection of the Daleks and Revelation of the Daleks.

Cool, glad you heard. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 am

Doctor Who: Planet Of The Spiders
Jon Pertwee, Elisabeth Sladen & Nicholas Courtney

Pre-order. Due for release on 18th April 2011

Jon's last outing, apparently.

I may have to indulge myself. Much as I love Doctor Who, I've never bought the DVDs.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Doctor Who: Planet Of The Spiders
Jon Pertwee, Elisabeth Sladen & Nicholas Courtney

Pre-order. Due for release on 18th April 2011

Jon's last outing, apparently.

I may have to indulge myself. Much as I love Doctor Who, I've never bought the DVDs.

I'm currently up to The Curse of Peladon. And BTW, there is the second Revisitations set before that, at least in the UK.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Q - I don't know if you are aware of this. Some years ago BT (British Telecom) introduced a service where you could send a text message to a landline. They had software that would convert the text to speech and give it the voice of Tom Baker. They've still got the service but with a woman doing it now I think.

Anyhow, people had great fun getting Mad Tom to say all sorts of things on the phone to their friends. You can hear some of them online at Tom Baker Says. . . :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

That was fun! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 pm

My 23yr old daughter watched an episode of Dr Who on Sunday Q.. you know how they are showing last season on ABC now in a lead up to the new series? Wellllllllllllllll... her b/f sat to watch it... and got SO into it he insisted they see the part two of that episode... :D

One Dr Who marathon later............ and he is a convert.

His first ever viewing of Dr Who and he's addicted... he is going to see Tom Baker when he comes over (is it this month or next?) with her now.

NOW he "gets" the whole Dr Who thang. :D
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 am

Tonyblack wrote:Q - I don't know if you are aware of this. Some years ago BT (British Telecom) introduced a service where you could send a text message to a landline. They had software that would convert the text to speech and give it the voice of Tom Baker. They've still got the service but with a woman doing it now I think.

Anyhow, people had great fun getting Mad Tom to say all sorts of things on the phone to their friends. You can hear some of them online at Tom Baker Says. . . :lol:

Ayiyiyiyi...But I do remember reading about that once... :)

deldaisy wrote:My 23yr old daughter watched an episode of Dr Who on Sunday Q.. you know how they are showing last season on ABC now in a lead up to the new series? Wellllllllllllllll... her b/f sat to watch it... and got SO into it he insisted they see the part two of that episode... :D

One Dr Who marathon later............ and he is a convert.

His first ever viewing of Dr Who and he's addicted... he is going to see Tom Baker when he comes over (is it this month or next?) with her now.

NOW he "gets" the whole Dr Who thang. :D

Yeah, I know, but I have the last series on DVD.

Uh, you mean Colin Baker, don't you? He's the one coming to Brisbane, to my knowledge.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Return to TV, film, theatre