favourite quotes

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mattygroves » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Dotsie wrote:"How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you it is the basis of an entire culture"

Blackadder

I lived in Germany for a year, and can easily explain why the Germans regard toilets differently. It's because they have the most ill designed toilets ever.

http://www.asecular.com/~scott/misc/toilet.htm

That link even comes with pictures (of toilets - fear not - it's perfectly suitable for all) and never fails to make me laugh. And it's all true.
Man created god not in his own image, but in his toddler's

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
mattygroves

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:50 pm

They have those type of toilets in the Netherlands as well. There's a sort of ledge where... things sit out of the water until you flush. Very odd indeed. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:28 am

Ewww! We regularly went to Austria/Germany for holidays in the 80s/90s - called those models 'inspection pads'..... :shock:

My husband and his brother developed a rather unfortunate obsession with them and got pretty disappointed when they seemed to become less popular as time went by... :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:37 pm

i always haveto inspect my doings coz of this bloody bag. worst thing about it is not farting anymore :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Because I'm watching Firefly - "Let's go to the crappy little town where I'm a hero!"
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:35 pm

chris.ph wrote:get away from her you bitch from alien2

And The Vicar of Dibbley.

As for the other thing.... :roll:

You'll just have to get your kicks from inappropriate scratching! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:They have those type of toilets in the Netherlands as well. There's a sort of ledge where... things sit out of the water until you flush. Very odd indeed. :lol:

Oh yes. I'm sorry to say I remember those well. :shock: I want to say it was the same in France - but it could be just an overall, international whirlwind of bad bathroom experiences blending. :?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:24 pm

isnt that y women scratch their eyes in the morning coz they havent got anything better to scratch :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:They have those type of toilets in the Netherlands as well. There's a sort of ledge where... things sit out of the water until you flush. Very odd indeed. :lol:

Oh yes. I'm sorry to say I remember those well. :shock: I want to say it was the same in France - but it could be just an overall, international whirlwind of bad bathroom experiences blending. :?

Of course there's always the squat toilet that they have in France and other places... :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

Tonyblack wrote:Of course there's always the squat toilet that they have in France and other places... :shock:

I looked at those when we were in Japan, but I have to say... I just don't get it :oops: They're the sort of thing I would rather try out if I don't then have to get myself home in damp trousers :shock:

Fortunately they have a love affair with fancy toilets - music & scented sprays coming out of the armrest! Tried pressing the music button in a public toilet once, but it was really loud & went on for ages :oops:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Most 'fragrant' squat toilet ever (with ceramics) was in Heraklion Bus Station (Crete) - it was market day and much raki had flowed so as I 'had to' I did - else my kidneys would've burst... :!:

Most fragrant 'indoors' toilet ever (without ceramics) was in Namanga, Kenya - a 'long drop' hole in the ground (sort of like Granny Weatherwax has except they'd forgotten to move the 'little hut' around for like 2 years so it wasn't a long drop so much as a slight bump on the ground... :? ) I wouldn't have minded so much but the cockroaches and hunter spiders were so bloody rude and kept staring at me... :shock:

I had expected more de luxe facilities as this was next door to a rather bijou roundhouse drinking den that some local wag had dubbed The Namanga Hilton - lovely sign it had - bit of cardboard with felt-tip lettering that just oozed style. We don't know we're born in the West really :oops:

Oh yeah - quotes
Spaceballs the Movie...

Dark Helmet - What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

Visual - bumper sticker on Lone Star's Winnebago - I <3 Uranus

In desert - Lone Star/Mog - Water Water! Dot Matrix (robot) - Oil! Oil! Princess Whatevershewascalled - Room Service! Room Service!

And many more...... I <3 Mel Brooks :lol: [/i]
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Dotsie, :lol: !

Jan, :shock: !
Catch-up

Postby silverstreak » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 pm

This thread is getting really weird.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby chris.ph » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:24 pm

it woz started with good intentions honest :lol:

another good one "whos the daddy"
chris.ph

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 am

My favourite quotes.

"Robin Hood steals money from my pocket forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?" scribe nods, Sheriff flings wine at him. "Cancel kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings. And call of Christmas!"

Robin Hood: Prince of Theives.

The whole Gateaux from the Chateaux episode of Allo Allo. Kudos Dotsie for mentioning that!

Almost anything Ronnie Barker has written, he was a genius...

And of course:

"Don't be stupid Gytha Ogg, Witches don't know the meaning of the word failure!"

"Esme?"

"What?"

"It means lack of success!"
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre