Hetalia

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hetalia

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Come on then all you anime and manga fans on this site, where does your loyalty lie, who is your favourite Hetalia character? Which characters do you not like and which countries do you most want to appear next?

My favourite character is England, I love his sense of humour and belief in magic. I am not a fan of Prussia but time will tell if the character grows on me and we need Scotland and Wales in the interaction between the UK characters would be brilliant.
Ash

Postby mystmoon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:04 am

Yay, another Hetalia fan!
I think my favourite character is currently tied between England, Japan and China (who I cosplay in my Hetalia group) although America is arguably one of the funniest, I like the serious types!
Prussia is one of those characters that I can deal with in small doses but he gets tiring rather quickly!
Do people prefer the sub or the dub? I personally liked hearing the accents in the dub, but I prefer the translation(?) in the sub if that makes sense?
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm

What's it about? :?

I did a bit of searching and it seems to be an allegory of the world during WW2, using characters to represent various countries. But how does that work?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Hetalia was originallt a webcomic, which someone did some short webisodes for. The comic got printed into a proper manga and it was adapted into an anime and film (i haven't seen the film yet though because it isn't released in england yet :( )
basically, every character is a personification of a country, (and somewhat of a stereotype eg america is always eating hamburgers and italy is obsessed with pasta) and the show is a bunch of short skits, some are based on historical events (such as the WWII shorts) others focus more on cultural differences between different countries (such as the America and Japan shorts)
this is the opening skit which shows a fair few countries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGUQfJ7xfME
sorrry if it doesn't work, try typing in hetalia world conference
also, sorry, but it's the dubbed version, i couldn't find the sub just on it's own without the rest of the episode
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Ah, I found the original webcomics in english if anyone's interested? Here
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks mystmoon,I was trying to check this out the other day,but couldn't find the site.
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby mystmoon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 pm

I found it through the chat on hetalia wiki, but i think it hasn't been updated in a while, so i need to find a more regularly updated one
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:01 pm

I like the dubbed version, to me the voice cast they picked was brilliant, but I understand what you mean the sub version often has the better jokes.
Ash

Postby mystmoon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:06 pm

i was worried that the dubbed version was going to hold back on the stereotypes a bit (4Kids made me paranoid) but if anytrhing, some of their stereotypes are even closer to the bone!
Seriously, on some episodes, I just feel like "...ooh, too mean, funimation, too mean"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby mystmoon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:24 pm

ugh, u know you've watched to much hetalia when you have "poland" moments and "prussia" moments
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:13 pm

I looked at that site you linked and so far I'm really enjoying it :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby mystmoon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:56 pm

thank you! i was really worried someone would take offense to it! want me to link you to the anime?
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I started watching the anime on one site I found,but the voice timing was wrong :cry: .I'm trying this one now.I don't know this site, so if you know a better site please give me the link :D
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby mystmoon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:05 pm

u found the same site i use! although some of the episodes are still screwed up with the sound. u can try here for the dub (be prepared for ridiculous accents tho).
my friend just got series 1 on dvd and i'm so jealous! hetalia looks so much better on the tv than it did on my comp screen
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre