Christmas Specials...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Christmas Specials...

Postby Quatermass » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:59 am

Who here enjoys Christmas Specials? Well, I enjoyed the Christmas specials in my favourite TV series. Like...

Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, Voyage of the Damned, The Next Doctor, and The End of Time.

The League of Gentlemen: Christmas Special (aka Yule Never Leave...)

Bottom: Holy

Would Hogfather count?
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby FirstoftheGangtoDie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 pm

I love chritmas specials. So far all I've seen this year is topgar though. And I freaking love the top gear xmas special :D
...I swear I'm too young to feel this old
FirstoftheGangtoDie

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I quite enjoyed the Dr. Who christmas specials :D

Can't wait for the Top Gear christmas special on boxing day :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:31 pm

I've just watched the Doctor Who special, and my constant thought throughout was...... BLOODY MURRAY GOLD.

Music wayy too loud again.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:49 am

You know what I love more than Christmas specials????? The end of year programmes.... the year in review.... I love those.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:56 am

deldaisy wrote:You know what I love more than Christmas specials????? The end of year programmes.... the year in review.... I love those.

I HOPE that you are joking. Those are little more than glorified clip shows that they do to save budgets at the end of the year.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby james.a.vivian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 am

Quatermass those clipshows are used to save money for big budgets on other episodes, I don't mind them on a sci fi show anyway.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby Willem » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:01 am

The only special I try to watch each Christmas is the Father Ted one. But my brother borrowed the DVDs so I couldn't this year :(
Willem

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 pm

james.a.vivian wrote:Quatermass those clipshows are used to save money for big budgets on other episodes, I don't mind them on a sci fi show anyway.

There's only two shows where I think that sort of thing worked. One of them was that Star Trek episode The Menagerie (and technically, that used footage from the unaired pilot) and that clip-show episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby bikkit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm

sorry to completly derail the thread but is Neon Genesis Evangelion any good?

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby deldaisy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Quatermass wrote:
deldaisy wrote:You know what I love more than Christmas specials????? The end of year programmes.... the year in review.... I love those.

I HOPE that you are joking. Those are little more than glorified clip shows that they do to save budgets at the end of the year.

Nooooooooooooooo! I mean the "Year in Review" NEWS! I have a chronological memory (I know you are saying everyone does) but what I mean is I remember MY year when I see what was happening during the year. Some news we tend to forget about and it was huge at the time. Some news feels like yesterday. And I always get that moment when they do they "who died" thing and I go "Noooooo! He/she died?"
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:27 pm

bikkit wrote:sorry to completly derail the thread but is Neon Genesis Evangelion any good?

Ummm...

Depends on your taste. If you like a show like, say, The Prisoner, you'll enjoy it, and if you like mecha anime, you'll enjoy it. But if you go into it expecting explanations a-plenty, you WILL be disappointed.

There is still much to recommend it given the character interaction, though. Every character has a story to tell...or major skeletons in the closet. I mean, the main character is a whiny teenage boy with major daddy issues, his fellow pilots are a near-emotionless girl with almost literally no life and another girl, this one with something to prove and a real bitchy attitude problem. Their immediate commanding officer and guardian is a drunken slob in her off-hours and has relationship issues, the main character's father is a ruthless SOB who doesn't give a flying one about his son's happiness or safety, and the titular Evangelions themselves are scary as all hell.

BTW, the above was not meant to turn people off Evangelion, but it's meant to let you know what you'd be letting yourself in for.

deldaisy wrote:Nooooooooooooooo! I mean the "Year in Review" NEWS! I have a chronological memory (I know you are saying everyone does) but what I mean is I remember MY year when I see what was happening during the year. Some news we tend to forget about and it was huge at the time. Some news feels like yesterday. And I always get that moment when they do they "who died" thing and I go "Noooooo! He/she died?"

Even more boring, or else distressing.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby james.a.vivian » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Quatermass have you seen Code geis? not sure how to spell it :oops:
james.a.vivian

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:17 pm

james.a.vivian wrote:Quatermass have you seen Code geis? not sure how to spell it :oops:

Code Geass? I've read the first volume of the manga, but otherwise I haven't watched it.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby james.a.vivian » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 am

It is pretty good you'll probably like it, i've been meaning to look at Evangelions. In Sydney we have a big Asian bookstore in the city, I've only just discovered the graphic novels. :oops:
james.a.vivian

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre