What Will be the next Terry Pratchett film

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:38 am

I'd like to see them do Moving Pictures.

"What's up Duck?" :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Annebn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:51 am

It's not just you, at least I partly agree.

Although I personally really enjoy the films, I've always had my doubt as the wether they would be enjoyable (or even make sense) to someone who wasn't familiar with the stories beforehand.

-I think maybe Going Postal is a bit better in that respect than the first two. Although I'm sure the golems will confuse many, as it isn't really explained in the story what they are. (This was done very well in Feet of Clay, but if you haven't read that...). Like you, I'm not sure the films make anybody want to read the books if they don't already.

That being said, I do want more of them to be made, because I think it's fun to see the books on screen, and see how other people (directors, set designers and actors) imagine the Discworld. It's never going to be exactly how I (or any other one person) imagine it, but that's OK with me.
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
-- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Annebn

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 pm

TV adaptations do create new readers. The Sharpe TV movies are a good example of this and I've known lots of people who have come to love Bernard Cornwell's books from the Sharpe series. I've yet to meet anyone who, after reading the books, thought the TV series was better though. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Annebn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm sure TV adaptations create new readers. There are books I have read myself after seeing a TV adaptation. (For example, I hadn't actually read any Jane Austen before seing Pride and Prejudice). I'm just not sure if the Discworld ones do (or not many anyway). I haven't yet heard anyone say they picked up their first DW book after seeing for example Hogfather or Colour of Magic. I'd be very happy to be wrong though!
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
-- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Annebn

Postby Jugula » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Personally, I would like to see Reaper Man or Carpe Jugulum as films. I have enjoyed all the ones so far made, loved David Suchet as Reacher Gilt, and preferred Charles Dance over Jeremy Irons as Vetinari - he had just that right touch of genteel sadism I imagine Vetinari to have. Not too sure about David Jason as Rincewind, a trifle too stolid around the waist - I imagine Rincewind as being skinny. Just got back from a holiday in Budapest, where 'Going Postal' was made. Jugula.
I never drink .... vine!
Jugula

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:34 pm

Welcome back Jugula! :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Penfold » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Yay! Glad to see you back with us Jugula. :D Hope you had a great holiday.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby LessHero vanU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Beautiful Dirt wrote:

I'd like to see a different book brought to life, my preference being a Witches or Watch story. Failing that I can live with Unseen Academicals I suppose :roll: Afterall, who wouldn't want to watch the Librarian play football :?:

I can't see a Witches tv film being made - the major characters being fat older women for two roles (Dawn French and Miriam Margoyles again) and even the third of the coven is often less than stunning to look at, unless you have a Magrat story (Tiffany is too young, and really not part of the Witches storyline for plot) - I'm thinking of Sky pitching it to viewers who are not Discworld fans. Carpe Jugulem is about the only Witches story that might work, since Magrat is slightly involved but anything with vampires is likely to sell (and I think that Agnes/Perdita is easily the best of the junior Witches, but again you are looking at a character that is not "TV attractive").
Guards stories have more potential, but are also often more ensemble stories - which are expensive in terms of casting; you need a Vimes, likely a Vetinari, the major other Guard (and likely another one = Carrot/Angua, Nobby/Fred), the major villain (and possibly another), and then the rest of the Guards in many scenes. That is a lot of top and second line characters to pay good actors for, and there might be major CGI or other effects for Detritus and Cheery or other species in the Watch for that plot.
Under the circumstances, I think Sky and most producers will go for human hero character stories with as few leads as possible. It is just economics.
"Magick!" Canon Y Balle
LessHero vanU

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 pm

You can also use fat suits, no need to have over priced stars unless they are fans. :wink:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Annebn wrote:I haven't yet heard anyone say they picked up their first DW book after seeing for example Hogfather or Colour of Magic. I'd be very happy to be wrong though!

ME !!! THOUGH I ONLY REALLY SAW THE ADS FIRST !! :lol:

I AM SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED UA IS THE NEXT ONE AS CONFIRMED FOR EASTER 2012 AGAIN A GUARDS ONE SHOULD BE DONE :cry:
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby pip » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm

ghostsecurity28 wrote:
Annebn wrote:I haven't yet heard anyone say they picked up their first DW book after seeing for example Hogfather or Colour of Magic. I'd be very happy to be wrong though!

ME !!! THOUGH I ONLY REALLY SAW THE ADS FIRST !! :lol:

I AM SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED UA IS THE NEXT ONE AS CONFIRMED FOR EASTER 2012 AGAIN A GUARDS ONE SHOULD BE DONE :cry:

Have they officially announced this. Wow . Thought there would be a few others better to adapt than UA.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Although its not a Discworld novel, I would really like to see Good Omens made into either a film or TV adapatation. 8) (wasn't there some rumour of this being done a few years ago, or was it just wishful thinking on my part?)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Ooooh yeah.

I'm re-reading it at the moment. Would be heavy on FX though.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:05 pm

There's quite a saga involved in a Good Omens movie. It's come close to it several times. Terry Gilliam was up for making it, but it looks like it might have died now. :(

More details HERE. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Everything. :wink:

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre