Favourite Musical

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Ooooh, ooooh, can't forget High Society, either.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Tiffany wrote:I forgot Cats, saw that too, but as it was here I don't think anyone famous was in it. It wasn't am-dram, though I really can't remember who the cast were now, but it was very good.

Thing with Cats is that it really doesn't matter too much who's in it really as they're all so well made up and in some ways the singing's less important than the dancing (I love the observation of the choreography and some of the dancers stay 'in character' even when they're just sitting around :) ). It would have been really great if Wayne Sleep could have been in it when it was touring at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth wouldn't it? :lol: But then I think that his brother was the longest serving dancer in the New London show (Mister Mistofolees) and he may have done the touring version too - not sure of that though :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:42 pm

I also enjoyed Stop The World I Want To Get Off, with Anthony Newley & Pickwick with Harry Secombe, nearly forgot, Half A Sixpence with Tommy Steele. Guess those do date me somewhat. :D All seen in Londons West End.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:42 pm

I've just seen what you wrote about Oliver Tobias, you old trollop!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tiffany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Tiffany wrote:I forgot Cats, saw that too, but as it was here I don't think anyone famous was in it. It wasn't am-dram, though I really can't remember who the cast were now, but it was very good.

Thing with Cats is that it really doesn't matter too much who's in it really as they're all so well made up and in some ways the singing's less important than the dancing (I love the observation of the choreography and some of the dancers stay 'in character' even when they're just sitting around :) ). It would have been really great if Wayne Sleep could have been in it when it was touring at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth wouldn't it? :lol: But then I think that his brother was the longest serving dancer in the New London show (Mister Mistofolees) and he may have done the touring version too - not sure of that though :D

Did you see it there as well, Jan? We sometimes see cast members of whatever show is on in Plymouth too, but if I had seen any of the Cats cast, I certainly wouldn't have recognised them. :D
Brian Blessed was in it for a time too, but I don't think he was in the Plymouth showings, though I could be wrong.
We did see Brian Conley's car, he has a very distinct personal number plate, :D but he wasn't in it.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:02 pm

The Wizard of Oz?
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I've just seen what you wrote about Oliver Tobias, you old trollop!

I can't help it - he's really gorgeous and pouty! :lol:

Tiffany wrote:Did you see it there as well, Jan? We sometimes see cast members of whatever show is on in Plymouth too, but if I had seen any of the Cats cast, I certainly wouldn't have recognised them. :D

Sadly I was in the middle of an appeal with the Benefits agency when that was playing in Plymouth so I didn't go. Brian Blessed was in it when it first opened and played Old Deuteronomy and Bustopher Jones - he's another actor with a fantastic voice, but sadly I've only heard recordings which isn't quite the same. :D
Marti Webb singing Memory was the first time I had the hair standing out on the back of my neck with the passion she sang that - truly superb. I cried buckets! :oops: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby princeknight11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm

I do enjoy musicals, but these are the type of movie musicals. I always wanted to experience a live musical comedy because I think it would be an experience I want. I found myself drawn to all types of musicals in the film industry because of my daughter and when I was a child my mother would watch them.
films such as:
Mary Poppins
Oklahoma
Last edited by princeknight11 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
princeknight11

Postby raisindot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:52 am

Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Stephen Sondheim's deepest, darkest, most subversive work.

Even Tim Burton's horrible, vacuous, blood-spattered film version couldn't wreck the beauty of the music, although it totally dumbed-down the meaning of the work itself. Look for the 1990s video version with George Hearn and Angela Landsbury if you want to see how it should be staged.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 am

Oh dear lord. How could I have possibly forgotten Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Dick van Dyke is a god.

Bouncy Castle

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Grease!
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:08 pm

I quite like musicals, the tunes usually sticks in my head :) I've seen Phantom of the opera and Jesus christ superstar in London. Also seen Sweeney Todd, Chess and Oklahoma in Oslo. Of these my favorite is Phantom of the opera, but if I include the ones I've seen on tv my number one is Chicago.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Draywoman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Chicago/Caberet - Kander & Ebb with Bob Fosse choreography is just brilliant, also La Cage Aux Folles, saw that in London & loved it.

That said, I also love the old-style musicals of stage and screen; Fred & Ginger movies, High Society, Kismet, etc., and G&S.

I used to do a bit of am-dram musicals and even got to reprise the same role in The Boyfriend after ten years (that's when i decided it was probably time to quit!) and at the time I listened to/watched a ton of musicals and liked everything from Offenbach to Lloyd-Webber & Cameron Macintosh.

But please, please, never make me go near Carousel or South Pathetic...yeugggghhh!
Habeus testiculares, habeus cardium et cerebellum
Draywoman

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:45 pm

It has to be Chess, I bought the album when it first came out well before the musical was ever staged and it's coming to Birmingham soon :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:01 pm

I forgot An American in Paris. The story is pants, but the music by Gerswin is fab! 8)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre