Favourite Musical

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Favourite Musical

Postby Da Gamer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Well musicals are pretty popular around the world especially in areas like the West End and Broadway, have you seen any? What did you think of them?
Da Gamer

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Not a stage musical, but I really like Lars von Trier's 'Dancer in the Dark'. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am

Rocky Horror Show :D

I saw it at the Playhouse in Edinburgh in June.

I like Chicago, the Moulin Rouge, Evita, Phantom of the Opera and Cabaret as well, but I've only seen movie versions.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Tiffany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 am

I saw Hairspray two weeks ago at our local theatre. Brian Conley & Les Dennis as the 'mum' & 'dad'. It was very good.

My favourite all time musicals were South Pacific & Oklahoma, seen some time ago. By an amateur cast too & very good. In fact I have seen a lot by that am-dram group.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 am

South Pacific is great and dealt with some really controversial issues at the time such as inter-racial sex and bigotry. The movie is a little spoiled by the director's experimentation with coloured filters - but there's some really great songs in there.

The movie of Oklahoma was actually mostly filmed in Arizona. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 pm

I think the most impressive musical I've seen live has to be Cats in terms of singing (1st time I saw it I was lucky enough to hear Marti Webb*sing Grizabella - she's the real deal on the actor-singer front!) and the dancing and the set itself are just astonishing!

*sorry couldn't find her singing anything from Cats so ignore Cliff :oops: on this duet from Phantom - she knocks spots off Elaine Paige and Sarah Brightman every time! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:42 pm

I hate musicals (sorry everyone...). I mean, I don't see the point of, you know, the story going on, people talking about something, and than suddenly, someone starts singing about how bad he feels about something, or how happy he is... and everybody acts as if this was normal. I mean, you could suspect a bit of schizofrenie there, someone walking down the street and singing things like "I wanna wake up in a city that doesn't sleep..."
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:50 pm

The best musical has to Paint your wagon. A western musical with Clint Eastwood :lol:

You can hear him sing here :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzVM6Q4Y ... =1&index=2
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Da Gamer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 pm

I think one of either Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat or Wicked would have to be my favourite musical.
Da Gamer

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:29 pm

I was bored one evening and on a whim went to the local theatre to see 'The Pirates of Penzance' staged by a local amateur operatic society. I was pleasantly surprised as I had never watched Gilbert & Sullivan before, or realized just how risqué and anti-establishment they were (for their time). I thoroughly enjoyed myself. :twisted:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Can't stand them unless I think they will be funny

So, I've only seen Wicked! (and it was really good)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Penners wrote:I was bored one evening and on a whim went to the local theatre to see 'The Pirates of Penzance' staged by a local amateur operatic society. I was pleasantly surprised as I had never watched Gilbert & Sullivan before, or realized just how risqué and anti-establishment they were (for their time).

I saw Pirates in the West End with OLIVER TOBIAS as the Pirate King :shock: Image The man can sing and smoulder at the same time as well as buckling his swash - in time to the music! Phwoooar! :twisted:

I definitely, definitely would - even if I had to choose between him and Johnny Depp (just a pretend pirate by comparison) :lol:

The rest of it was dire (Pamela Stephenson was in it and whoever told her she could sing deserves shooting... :roll: )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I think the most impressive musical I've seen live has to be Cats in terms of singing (1st time I saw it I was lucky enough to hear Marti Webb*sing Grizabella - she's the real deal on the actor-singer front!) and the dancing and the set itself are just astonishing!

*sorry couldn't find her singing anything from Cats so ignore Cliff :oops: on this duet from Phantom - she knocks spots off Elaine Paige and Sarah Brightman every time! :lol:

I forgot Cats, saw that too, but as it was here I don't think anyone famous was in it. It wasn't am-dram, though I really can't remember who the cast were now, but it was very good.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Tonyblack wrote:South Pacific is great and dealt with some really controversial issues at the time such as inter-racial sex and bigotry. The movie is a little spoiled by the director's experimentation with coloured filters - but there's some really great songs in there.

The movie of Oklahoma was actually mostly filmed in Arizona. :lol:

I saw the movie before the stage show. It was slightly different, I was very disappointed they didn't have Curly riding on a horse on a tread mill on stage & singing Oh What A Beautiful Morning, though. :( :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGS4fkv ... re=related
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Windy City with Dennis Waterman and Anton Rogers was excellent.

Gotta love Calamity Jane, too! Doris Day had the most phenominal voice.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre