Sherlock

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 pm

The Golem somehow reminded me of Jaws from James Bond :wink:
Hope they will make some more episodes in the future too :)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:24 pm

I think it's a pretty sure bet that the Beeb will give it a second series, according to reports I've read.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Spike » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:52 pm

I hope they give it a second series - I've always been a bit of puritan about Holmes & Watson (really don't intend to watch the Mr Downey Jnr) and Jeremy Brett is still the definitive Sherlock Holmes.

But I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the BBC series and thought they not only did an great job of updating it (tricky thing to do) but that the main characters were very well written and portrayed. Martin Freeman as Watson was something of a revelation and frankly has done one of the best jobs of portraying Watson I've seen.

Benedict Cumberbatch.. well, I'm actually impressed, and as a Brett puritan that takes alot of doing. He really captured the manic energy and genius of Holmes, and he was aided by the excellent writing of Gatiss and Moffatt.

And as for the cliffhanger ending.. thumbs up from me.
Where's my cow? Is that my cow? It says "Buggrit millenium hand and shrimp". That's not my cow, thats Foul Ol' Ron.
Spike

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:04 pm

I've only seen last night's (forgot the other two!), but had to laugh at the bloke being given grammar lessons was hilarious!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Finomans » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 pm

I think it's awesome even though i have to downloaded it from pirate bay because I cant watch iplayer.
but i thought they where great.
Finomans

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

From Digital Spy:

Sherlock producer Sue Vertue has confirmed that there will be a second series of the modern-day adaptation.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Vertue - who appeared with husband and show co-creator Steven Moffat - revealed that an agreement has already been made with the BBC.

"There will be more.We're having a meeting, just to sort of talk about how many and when really. Steven and Mark [Gatiss] are both busy," she said. "Obviously Steven is doing Doctor Who as well so it's just when we are going to do them."

Presenter Sian Williams asked Moffat why only three initial episodes had been commissioned, to which he replied: "They're 90 minutes long! Three 90-minute episodes, that's longer than a sitcom, stop complaining."

BBC head of drama Ben Stephenson recently warned that any episodes of the show will not air for "at least a year".

Sherlock ended its three-episode run on Sunday night watched by 7.3 million viewers.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:43 pm

I understand that a DVD will be available at the end of the month - with an added bonus of the pilot that was never aired on TV. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Yuz indeedy.

I'm tempted to get it, as I forgot the first 2 were on, but quite liked the third.

Well, except for Moriarty doing his Graham Norton impersonation!!

Bouncy Castle

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 am

I absulutely loved this Sherlock series.
Thank god my dad's got digital TV so he recorded all three episodes. I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the text popping up on the screen, which is a very neat effect. Never seen anything like it before.
I never thought Sherlock Holmes translated to the present that well.

I'm definately going to get the DVD. Really hope there will be another series. It looks good though; the BBC are very happy with the result and Steven Moffat is eager to do another series.
Cheery

Postby high eight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:57 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Yuz indeedy.

I'm tempted to get it, as I forgot the first 2 were on, but quite liked the third.

Well, except for Moriarty doing his Graham Norton impersonation!!

I liked Moriarty - it's about time that we had an Irish one (It is an Irish name, after all)

The second story was (loosely) based on 'The Dancing Men', I'm told.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Da Gamer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:59 pm

I thought that the Sherlock episodes were great and am hoping that they make some new ones soon, the ones televised are already coming out on DVD soon I think.
Da Gamer

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Spike wrote:I hope they give it a second series - I've always been a bit of puritan about Holmes & Watson (really don't intend to watch the Mr Downey Jnr) and Jeremy Brett is still the definitive Sherlock Holmes.

But I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the BBC series and thought they not only did an great job of updating it (tricky thing to do) but that the main characters were very well written and portrayed. Martin Freeman as Watson was something of a revelation and frankly has done one of the best jobs of portraying Watson I've seen.

Benedict Cumberbatch.. well, I'm actually impressed, and as a Brett puritan that takes alot of doing. He really captured the manic energy and genius of Holmes, and he was aided by the excellent writing of Gatiss and Moffatt.

And as for the cliffhanger ending.. thumbs up from me.

I agree with everything you say. I still prefer the Jeremy Brett version tho', as they most accurately portrayed the original stories as written by Conan-Doyle. However, like you say, they did do an excellent job of updating the themes for the modern world. 8)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:42 pm

For our American friends who didn't get to see this series, it's currently being shown on PBS in the Masterpiece series. You should be able to watch it on the PBS website HERE. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Raz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 am

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with it personally ( *puts on flame retardant suit* :lol: )

I really enjoy alot of fiction from Doyle, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne etc, and a big part of the attraction is the era it was set in. I feel that it can only exist properly in it's own time. But there we are are, the joys of opinion eh? :lol:
Raz

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:07 pm

I prefer the original but enjoyed the modern retelling, they spent time getting details correct so that the stories still felt right. My 14 year old nephew saw them and has now started reading the originals so they must have done something right.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre