Game -> Movie = bad

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:28 am

Some good points there !! :shock:

Tomb Raider would not have been the same Movie if they had cast Dawn French as Lara!! :lol:

Casting can make or break a Movie..... Mr & Mrs Smith for example.
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 pm

mspanners wrote:Tomb Raider would not have been the same Movie if they had cast Dawn French as Lara!! :lol:

It would have been a lot funnier though - and not for the wrong reasons :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:19 pm

The problem, I think, is best summarised by Yahtzee, the gaming journalist.
Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw wrote: While a movie just has to keep an audience entertained for an hour or two, a videogsme has to stand up to at least twelve hours of people like me overturning every stone in search of faults.
Any reasonable game that attracts attention enough to be made into a movie will have one fault: It will have sacrificed storytelling for gameplay, and struggles to stand up when there is suddenly no gameplay to lean on. If they aren't already fan-oriented or totally stupid, their apparent shallowness will not make a good movie.

This is probably why the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil films are even fractionally successful: They filled in gaps in the story with jaw-dropping action.

Having said that, it may just be a transition problem. After all, games made from movies tend to be truly awful. However, this is usually because the way development has to be rushed to meet the release of the movie.

Wow, am I a bore or what?
Quark

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Don't fret Quark - at least you listen to yourself and don't let the zombies get too close unless you are one yourself :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quark » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:01 am

Brains! :twisted:
Quark

Postby lothlann » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 am

Quark wrote:The problem, I think, is best summarised by Yahtzee, the gaming journalist.
Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw wrote: While a movie just has to keep an audience entertained for an hour or two, a videogsme has to stand up to at least twelve hours of people like me overturning every stone in search of faults.
Any reasonable game that attracts attention enough to be made into a movie will have one fault: It will have sacrificed storytelling for gameplay, and struggles to stand up when there is suddenly no gameplay to lean on. If they aren't already fan-oriented or totally stupid, their apparent shallowness will not make a good movie.

This is probably why the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil films are even fractionally successful: They filled in gaps in the story with jaw-dropping action.

Having said that, it may just be a transition problem. After all, games made from movies tend to be truly awful. However, this is usually because the way development has to be rushed to meet the release of the movie.

Wow, am I a bore or what?

I suppose the exception to this is the fact that games are more and more focusing on storyline. Look at Heavy Rain, Assassin's Creed and Alan Wake. These games use the action as filler to move the plot along. If you haven't played Heavy Rain, I strongly suggest you do. Its like playing a film and choosing what the 4 characters do without killing them is satisfying.
lothlann

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Anyone here old enough to remember the horrendous "old school" movie version of "Clue" that nearly ended the careers of Madeleine Kahn, Martin Mull and Christopher Lloyd?

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Willem » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 am

Clue wasn't that bad, surely? :) I remember seeing it on tv once, kinda liked it.
Willem

Postby Danny B » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:02 am

I'm going to admit my secret shame, here in front of all of you. I absolutely LOVE the film of Mortal Kombat, the sequel and the TV show spin-off, Mortal Kombat Conquest. I'm not even going to attempt to justify myself. I just like them, no matter how objectively bad I know them to be. They're not even so bad that they're camp and hilarious. They're just uniformly awful, yet I can't stop watching them.

So far as other game into film adaptations goes, the Resident Evil films were quite good, probably because the plot of the games was a bit ropey as well, so any changes were no wackier than Capcom have previously come up with. Being a zombie junky helps. Silent Hill was spooky and atmospheric (if completely incomprehensible), Tomb Raider was watchable enough, Street Fighter was an abomination unto Nuggan, as was Doom and everything adapted by Uwe Boll, widely regarded as one of the worst directors ever to make films. Hitman was fairly watchable. Anything with Olga Kurylenko becomes immediately watchable in my book. Even Max Payne, which otherwise caused me to describe the film in terms which violate the laws of physics. (This film both sucks and blows. AT THE SAME TIME!)

It's not just the video game adaptations which stink up the screen, though. Clue has been mentioned previously, but there were also two truly horrendous films made under the Dungeons & Dragons license. I'm looking forward to seeing what in blue blazes Ridley Scott is planning on doing with the license for a Monopoly film adaptation. I can't see it being anything but awful, but it's Ridley Scott, so it'll be awful and EPIC!
Danny B

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:42 am

Yes I watched the tv series and films for mortal combat no doubt it they made more I'd watch them not great by any stretch but better than some dross that was on tv. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:52 am

I loved Mortal Kombat as well! :lol: I can quote along with it (almost as annoying for Mr Dotsie as having to watch the film).

As for Dungeons and Dragons, the films were terrible but the cartoon series was well good. I have it on DVD and watch an episode on saturday mornings :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:45 pm

We used to have the movie of Street Fighter (with Jean Claude Van Damme) - it was pretty awful. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby shelke » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Bickaxe wrote:99% are awful.

Tomb Raider was okay, Hitman wasn't too bad.

Still waiting for a movie based on Tetris

I can actually see that happen, with all of those lads with tetris outfits like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0R9QtAEiQ4
shelke

Postby Archbishop73 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:35 pm

I have seen streetfighter with Van Damme and Kylie Minogue in the cinema then. that was a horrible experience. The animated movie of Street Fighter was quite good.
-------------------------------------------------
Cardinal! Give the rack a turn!
Archbishop73

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Archbishop73 wrote:I have seen streetfighter with Van Damme and Kylie Minogue in the cinema then. that was a horrible experience. The animated movie of Street Fighter was quite good.
Agreed! The animated version was much better. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre