going postal

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 am

A friend is borrowing my copy at the moment, recorded for me by a friend with Sky, and who very kindly removed the commercial breaks.

Once I get it back, I'm more than happy to lend it to anyone who can't get Sky.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Banzai » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:05 am

You can see the movie at http://www.letmewatchthis.com/watch-350071-Going-Postal. Not dvd quality, but not bad either. (Streaming site).

And regarding to Mr Pratchett working behind the camera: Yes, they say so, and he's in the last scene as the postdude, but I cant imagine him controlling every aspect of the screenplay (not with this result).

Does Mr Pratchett read this forum btw?
One of Norways biggest fan of the Discworld.
My own humorblog is found at : http://insaneframe.blogspot.com (no ads etc).
Banzai

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Banzai wrote:
Does Mr Pratchett read this forum btw?
We don't know. :) He's never said so. But I do know that he does visit websites and has posted on other Discworld websites - so who knows?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby fords » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 am

I thought Going Postal is definitely the best adaptation by far (<3 Richard Coyle); it had great pace, looked bloody fantastic and the acting was spot on - Charles Dance as Vetinari was a stroke of genius, once I got over the ginger hair!
fords

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Banzai wrote:I dont know where to start.

Well, I liked the first two adaptions (Color of Magic and Hogfather) cause they where true to the books. This one is not.
I can't believe, as they state, that Mr Pratchett himself worked behind the camera to check on everything. Did he sleep through the whole process?
Its a looong time since I have been so angry after seeing one of my favorite authors adapted to the silverscreen.

Maybe this will answer your question about how much imput Pterry had just found this.
interview on the book show http://thebookshow.skyarts.co.uk/homepa ... chett.html
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 pm

That link seems to be broken, Dug - try this one. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:06 am

I just copied and pasted it Tony I had already watched it but thanks anyway. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby madam » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:07 pm

the race to uberwald in the movie- am i right in thinking that the destination is the town of Bonk?

(more importantly do they show it in the film?ive been obsessed with uberwaldy stuff since fifth elephant and this is probobly the closest i'll get to seeing it on film. sometimes i love exectutive plot meddling:) )

there's a fiver riding on the answer to this question- me and my friend love discworld but neither of us have sky so we're loosing a lot of money to each other making bets on what the movie is actually like. :D
madam

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 pm

I think I'm right in saying that the race is to an unmentioned place in Uberwald (in the movie). Of course it's to Genua in the book.

And no, we don't get to see the place it's going to in the movie. :)
Tonyblack

Postby madam » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:28 pm

oh bum. ah well at least i'll be keeping my fiver, thanks for the info Tony.
madam

Postby lothlann » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 am

Im just about to watch it, Im looking forward to it. Who plays Vetinari in this one? I thought Jeremy Irons was very good in the Colour of Magic.

Incidentally, I got a HD version off a private torrent tracker I use. If anyone wants an invite to it send me a pm and il try to sort it out.
lothlann

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:41 am

Charles Dance plays Vetinari. Although he is blonde, he really does make a very good Patrician. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Syanin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Hello, first time posting.

I enjoyed the film. I was upset a bit by Angua, but aside her transformation I thought she was pretty good. This also ruins Moist figuring out she is the werewolf in Making Money.

Charles Dance was a great Vetinari .

Adora giving up smoking? Health wise good but out of character, still her actress was spot on.

Someone mentioned Stanley was not attacked in the fire but Groat was. Actually Stanley's scenes in the fire are in the book. What were missing is Groat being attacked and Tiddles Plus Golems are supposed to come running to put out fires.

We also loose out on the birth of Gladys.

I think the film captured the book's heart but lost alot in parts not included. The Ancient Golem , We could have had Cameos from Carrot and Vimes . As well as the UU and Mossy Lawn plus poor Otto is just a sight gag and not mentioned by name.

If you nit picky this movie will upset you. I think it captured Disc and the book it just left many things out , some of which were important.
Syanin

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Welcome to the site, Syanin! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:12 am

Hi and Welcome to the site Syanin, for the few ommisions as with the other films I thought they were all good some I liked better than others.They don't have Hollywood budgets and Peter Jackson etc. I just think the MOB do a great job with the budget they have, so I won't moan or complain about them. :)
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre