going postal

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am

Welcome to the site Savage :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby michelanCello » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 pm

lewton wrote:I was bored and made this in celebration of the TV adaptation.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2uh7mg7.jpg

Welcome aboard! You do realize that we live in the same town, do you? :D

And welcome for you too, Savage! :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Welcome Savage :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Savage » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Cheers for the welcome

It just doesn't feel like the book, and so many things I was looking forward to seeing them relate in film just don't happen. But then again, I am a harsh critic of films anyway, so it may well just be me.
Savage

Postby Courtjezter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:13 pm

My opinion of the show is that it was the best adaption yet.
As i was never really a fan of the Hogfather and they completely miscast the main characters in COM, but i blame David Jason for that, partly.
But Going Postal was far from perfect but it is getting there. My niggles were the actress who played Angua was just wrong, the golems looked to cheap. Richard Coyle didnt convince me as a conman and seemed a bit overwhelmed by the material.
The whole smoking is bad thing seemed out of place. The Vampire, i cant remember his name, (it has been several years since i read the book, so dont remeber the story too well.) was unintelligible. But I did like Charles Dance as Vetinari and Claire Foy was also good.
It felt a lot more polished than the previous ones. I think this may be due to the departure of Vadim Jean, if he was involved i didnt see his name in the credits.

Nest up put Guards, Guards on the big screen.
"Generally speaking, when scary things get scared - not good."
Courtjezter

Postby Banzai » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:44 am

I dont know where to start.

I recently found out that they have made Going Postal into 'live fottage', and searched high and low for the movie on the net. (found it on http://www.letmewatchthis.com btw). I eagerly started it up and found myself, after like 15 minutes, talking aloud to the room (I was alone at the time) phrases like: "what the he*k have they done?", "Thats bullshit", "hey, thats the wrong charachter doing that scene/giving that speech". "hey! that never happened" and it goes on and on for most of the movie.

For those of you that liked the movie you have obviously never read the book. I have, at least five times, and 'Making Money' about 4 i think.
(I have all the books, and have read each 5-6 times at least).

They have cut off huge parts of the story, mixed up charachters (for ex its Groat that gets attacked in the postoffice, not Stanley), added things from like 10 different scenes into one scene, added stuff thats not in the book (like that Dearheart stopped the horse and rode with him? Where did that come from?) All this stuff about the movie-projector showing him pieces of what he has done is also bullshit. And the list goes on forever...

I dont even want to start on the charachters themselves. Only Vetinari and Stanley gets a thumb up from me.

Well, I liked the first two adaptions (Color of Magic and Hogfather) cause they where true to the books. This one is not.
I can't believe, as they state, that Mr Pratchett himself worked behind the camera to check on everything. Did he sleep through the whole process?

Its a looong time since I have been so angry after seeing one of my favorite authors adapted to the silverscreen.

Btw, I'm an old dude (30'ish) and english is not my native language, so no flaming for mispelling and stuff like that.

All my respect to Mr Pratchett, and none for the makers of this on-screen mess, called "going postal" (it dosent deserve capital letters).

One of Norways biggest fan of the Discworld.
My own humorblog is found at : http://insaneframe.blogspot.com (no ads etc).
Banzai

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:51 am

Hi and welcome banzai

I refuse to watch Going Postal because my reaction might well be similar to yours. I have my own images of each character and won't even listen to an audio book for fear of ruining that image.

Feel free to post any criticism you like about any subject without fear of being flamed. For example, I personally think Making Money is one of the weakest Discworld books, yet there are people on this site who love it.

There are people on this site who loved the Sky Going Postal adaptation and there are people who didn't. Such is life. :P

And don't worry about spelling mistakes or grammar. We don't flame people here for that sort of thing (well, I do sometimes, but only if they're being pretentious or deserve it. :twisted: )

PS I'm an older dude than you and have re-read all the Discworld books more times than you 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jason » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:29 am

It just goes to show that one man's rubbish is another man's treasure.

I think that sometimes you need to see these adaptations as exactly that adaptations. If you were able to film Going Postal exactly as it was in the book it would take a lot more that the 3 hours allowed. Jokes and ideas that work well written would fall flat in visual form. Adaptations by their nature change the story. Personally I enjoyed Going Postal but I seem to be able to remove myself from the original material more than others.

I could make a list of 100 things wrong with the adaptation but I won't because I didn't let the enjoyment of the film get spoilt by minor diversions from the source material.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:38 pm

It's like the movie Master & Commander (Far Side of the World). The movie only bears a passing resemblence to Patrick O'Brien's books - and yet, having read the books, I still love the movie.

You can't always make a perfect carbon copy of a book into a movie - it's simply not possible. Why not enjoy the movie for what it is and then go and read the book? :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Welcome Banzai :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:36 pm

:oops: Ooops - welcome from me too. :oops:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 pm

The thing is, Going Postal is one of my favourite discworld books. I could (barley) live throgh the C.O.M but Going postal had me tearing at my hair. And dubbing over the dialouge with what it SHOULD be (I didn't even know that I could do that :oops: ) Normally I can stand it (just) even if it's meant to be a faithfull adaption of a book and strays from the plot. Just not with one of my favourites

^makes no sense[/u]

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Welcome Banzai, I have got to agree with Jason on this enjoy it for what it is I'm just happy that that they are being made regardless,and long may they continue. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Banzai » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 am

Well, if they had been true to the book, kept the storyline intact and not adding stuff thats not even in the book i could agree to cutting out some of the stuff from the book (it's one of the longest ones in the serie).
But why cutting stuff out and then adding stuff thats not in the book in the first place?
Examples:
    Dearheart stopping the horse and joining him to Genua.
    Movies about Dearheart choosing cigarettes over chocolate / and all other movieclips in the film regarding his past.
    Mort hires a bunch of golems before the senior postmen have arrived.
    Stanley gets attacked by the banshee instead of Groth (who is saved by the chest-protection he wear made by his natural-health obsession. Not mentioned in the movie).
    ...and the list is at least two-three pages longer...

This is not an adaption of the book, this is free-writing with the idea of the book in mind, and Mr Pratchetts stories are way to good to be slaughtered in this way. :(

One of Norways biggest fan of the Discworld.
My own humorblog is found at : http://insaneframe.blogspot.com (no ads etc).
Banzai

Postby Penfold » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

Hellooo and welcome to the site, Banzai! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sir Terry also involved in the production (I think the term "mucked about a bit by...." was used in the credits). :wink: BTW, I haven't seen it yet myself but I will be getting it when released on dvd.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre