going postal

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Movie links

Postby pocimop » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Peeps

Check out this link for the movie...should work most countries.

http://www.novamov.com/video/9ed60523f8c5e

If that fails more links here to try. (I know above one work cos I checked it first)

http://www.movies-links.tv/movies/going_postal/

Regards

Craig
Craig.

Why cant women ever lift the seat after using the loo???
pocimop

Postby AM » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:45 pm

OMG! Thank you pocimop!

The first link works, I cannot believe it.

It seems that it is only the first episode though, but who cares.

Thank you. :D
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Postby CJDobs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Bascule,

I agree with your book summary of the characters and further agree that the 'turning of Reacher Gilt' is at odds somewhat with the written creation.

BUT . . . . I think it worked on TV in a two part comedy drama to present him this way. I loved David Suchet in this role, I loved the melodrama of the 'Mr Whipsnade' moustache twirling villain - it fitted well with the old style b/w film flashbacks. I liked the way they played on his lack of height, particularly in the coach when he's practically sitting under Moist's armpit. :lol:

A few other people have commented on some of the pantomime acting which after two full sittings (thanks to Sky Anytime) I'm still at odds to see. The only part of Reacher Gilt's performance that made me squirm a bit was the circus ring master style parade he headed up. The little dance he did was out of character with the TV presentation of him!

I can't knock Adora though. I liked Claire Foy so much in this role and the way it was scripted . . . I warmed to her more than I did in the book *gasp*. Maybe it's because she's not one of my personal favourites. I'd have a lot more to say if they got Granny Weatherwax wrong!

I agree about Boris - bit silly but I've already forgiven them for that as I liked the 'flowers at the clacks' moment.

And yes, Mustrum is all the bit Vetinari's equal if not senior. There should be respect there but no kowtowing. I thought Timothey West was a good 'Wizard' in his speech about the power of books, but far too serious to be Ridcully. There has to be some haroomph about him - As Joss Ackland gave it in Hogfather.

Not perfect then we agree, but a big step up and I'd say a very watchable piece from start to finish.

"THE DEARHEART BOOOOOY SQUEALED LIKE A PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG! . . .. "
CJDobs

Postby pocimop » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Second episode can be found on the second link I showed :)
Craig.

pocimop

Postby pocimop » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:14 pm

But for anyone who doesnt want to search heres the direct link to part 2

http://www.novamov.com/video/0c332cfabff3d
Craig.

pocimop

Postby AM » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Again, Thank You! :D
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Re: Movie links

Postby michelanCello » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 pm

pocimop wrote:Hi Peeps

Check out this link for the movie...should work most countries.

http://www.novamov.com/video/9ed60523f8c5e

If that fails more links here to try. (I know above one work cos I checked it first)

http://www.movies-links.tv/movies/going_postal/

Regards

Craig

It works! IT WORKS!!!! A miracle has happened!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!! Image
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby joemcf » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Well, IMO its the best adaptation so far. Funy, exciting, another excellent cast and while not as funny focused more on the more thoughful elements of the book, and didn't make it farcical. David Suchet had me in stiches in almost every scene he was in, which his darkly humourous portrayal of Gilt being funny, "deliciously" dark and at some point quite frightening. Probably the bit which i liked the best was:

Spoilers

When Gilt killed the accountant. I thought that was brilliant in almost everyway. The humour, the darkness, the acting. All very good. Even though there was no blood, i found it quite disturbing, how he felt he could just walk out onto the street with a dead body and get away with it. However it was very funny as well. However, i don't know it was really a PG like the DVD is... :?
joemcf

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:22 pm

CJDOBS I with you on that all said and done I enjoyed it,some parts more than others. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby lewton » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:36 pm

I was bored and made this in celebration of the TV adaptation.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2uh7mg7.jpg
lewton

Postby kakaze » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:37 pm

I have to say that I was deeply disappointed in the movie. :(

I understand the need to make changes to adapt a book to a movie, things that just can't be shown visually, and the need to limit the length of the movie. However, many things were changed that didn't need to be changed, I guess in an attempt to make the story more interesting.

Moist lost all of his interpersonal skills and spent most of his time confused and complaining.

Groat & Stanley were both done very well.

I liked the way the golums were done (I know some will disagree), but I was disappointed that they all seemed to have cracks in the same places. I also thought they made Mr. Pump a bit stupid.

I really, really hated Mr Gryl. He talks way too much, looks like a vampire from a cheap 1930's film, and for some reason is all wet!

I liked the way Claire Foy played Adora Belle Dearheart, but I also think it's sad they had to make her into a romantic figure; fighting him so much, then giving in and riding around on the back of Boris.

And I thought that Reacher Gilt looked like the Penguin from Batman. Why'd they make him short, fat (or fat-looking?), and unpleasant?

I must say, fantastic work on the set, particularly the buildings and clacks towers.
kakaze

Postby kakaze » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:43 pm

michelanCello wrote:Noooooooo-ho-ho-ho-hooooooooooooooo..... :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't open it, because I'm not in UK or Republic Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

You can download it from here:

Going Postal Part 1
Going Postal Part 2

You'll need a torrent downloader, such as BitTorrent
kakaze

Postby michelanCello » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:06 pm

kakaze wrote:
michelanCello wrote:Noooooooo-ho-ho-ho-hooooooooooooooo..... :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't open it, because I'm not in UK or Republic Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

You can download it from here:

Going Postal Part 1
Going Postal Part 2

You'll need a torrent downloader, such as BitTorrent

Thanks, but I could see the second link pocimop gave, so problem solved... but thank you too!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Savage » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Hello everyone.

I know its my first post, and perhaps this isn't the best place to put it. I do have to admit that I was listening to Stephen Briggs audio book version of Going Postal just before I watched the movie, which perhaps wasn't the best thing to do. If I'm honest, I don't like what they've done.

It's not really an adaptation, the only two characters I can see who remain anything like what they were in the book are Mr Pump and Vetinari. Otherwise, everyone changes.

Moist, who became my favourite Pratchett character, has become some whining dolt who has lost his style. Adora became the feisty love interest that seems to be shoe horned in everywhere these days. Gilt similarly looses all his charm and playfulness, as well as loosing his build (he's described as being built like a beat, why would he need to stand on tip toes to look at the Patrician?).

Secondly, what happened to the sorting engine? In the books its the curse of the Post Office...

I think the character I liked the most (if you bar the whole changing into a wolf infront of everyone, and that the wolf is nothing like its description in the books) is Angua, and she never had a large role in the Lipwig cycle...
Savage

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:12 am

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, Savage. I haven't seen it myself yet, so I'll withhold judgement. :)

Welcome to the site! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre