going postal

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby sheilaj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 pm

I didn't think they condensed so much as re wrote!
thanks for the welcome
sheilaj

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm

sheilaj wrote:you know what? yell if you want to but I was deeply disappointed with Going Postal. Great casting but where was the original story???? Still if Terry is happy I guess i shouldn't cavil.
Ah, if you want the "original story" then reading the book is probably your best bet. :lol: :wink:

Welcome on board!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Thesily von Lipwig and sheilaj :D
On lofty Beysitoun the lingering sun looks down on ceaseless labors, long begun.
Sjoerd3000

Postby sheilaj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
sheilaj wrote:you know what? yell if you want to but I was deeply disappointed with Going Postal. Great casting but where was the original story???? Still if Terry is happy I guess i shouldn't cavil.
Ah, if you want the "original story" then reading the book is probably your best bet. :lol: :wink:

Welcome on board!

I have, hence the disappointment :(
sheilaj

Postby Ogg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:23 pm

That's the third time in a row I've been left disappointed, why do 'they' always slow the pace which vastly important...we...can...speed...up, we are left bereft of the zip and zing that permeates every Pratchett page.
Admittedly the budget appeared a little more substantial this time around, the clacks were ingenious and the casting grew on me the more I watched...although Andrew Sachs as Groat failed to capture the true essence of the character imo.
It's the little details that count, oh there's Angua..who has just transformed in front of everyone(?) and surely it wouldn't be too much effort to have the correct Vetinari hair colour? and as for the golems...pish and tish I say.
Hmm, more of that godawful 'reimagining' thing than an adaptation. I knew we were in trouble as soon as Moist joined Gilt in his coach...wt?
I admit to being distracted more than once so I may be liable for correction but what irks the most was the lack of 'postie'isms'...considering I am an english postie this smarts! Oh yes, Sir Terry at the end 'Extremely Senior Postie Pratchett' if I say so myself :)
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby sheilaj » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I made a conscious decision when posting on these threads to stay general in my criticism and not to list all the wrongs and niggles and when talking about detail, to concentrate on the good bits...Otherwise I will bore you all to stone (and me too)
I reckon David Suchet, apart from being a bit the wrong shape, (apologies David if you are reading) would have made a better Patrician. I loved to see the clacks spring to life BUT what happened to Angua's luxuriant hair? Sorry but that young lady looked like she had overused the straighteners :(
sheilaj

Postby Bascule42 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 pm

(Joined these forums a while back...and promptly forgot about it, until seeing Skys Going Postal).

I really don't know what to say about Sky version of Going Postal. I'm struggling.

When we see a film or TV adaptation of a book, especially one we might consider one of our favourites. It is to be expected to be niggled or dismayed slightly by changes in the story, or plot lines being shunted about to make it work on film. Even characters being changed for the sake of the actor playing them. This is to be expected.

Now, I enjoyed The Hogfather, I enjoyed The Colour of Magic, despite Alberto Malich being Rincewind. Both were pretty good adaptations.

Going Postal however, is not. Of course that is in my humb..sorry, in my opinion. I'm not really sure a point by point rundown would be welcome at this time, but I'll just say, I am very disapointed and will finish with this:

Mr Gryle is NOT the curse you buffoons. (Not you lovely readers here, GP's producers).

"Sky One. It aint Holy Wood"
It seems that beggars can actually be choosers.
Bascule42

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 am

Glad you found us again! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby sheilaj » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I agree Bascule...such a waste
sheilaj

Postby mariekni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm

If anyones still wanting to watch Going Postal then both part 1 and 2 are on sky anytime, or there is this

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/content/SK ... ilsPage.do
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Mariekni, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,..........
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Noooooooo-ho-ho-ho-hooooooooooooooo..... :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't open it, because I'm not in UK or Republic Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!! Image
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby AM » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 pm

michelanCello wrote:Noooooooo-ho-ho-ho-hooooooooooooooo..... :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't open it, because I'm not in UK or Republic Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

I agree michelanCello, I really thought that I was going to see it now. I think I´m going to go and cry a bit...
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Hmmm

Postby CJDobs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:43 am

I've read a lot of good reviews from fans and the occasional bad . . As I previously mentioned I loved it and I believe one of the reasons for that is I don't have high book to TV expectations.

All books get mangled in TV/Film production so expecting treatment of Pratchett to be any different is folly.

LOTR a case in point - Peter Jackson knew he had to get the fans onside so FOTR was a close adapation that pleased all but the hardcore I think. Then in the following two films he went further afield and caused some eyebrow wiggling (marching the elves into Helms Deep was a bit of movie licence for dramatic effect but then to kill off Haldir? nooooooooooooooo!).

It wasnt just technology that stopped these films being made during Tolkiens life, he seemed to abhor meddling with his words and held film makers in some contempt (my source: Letters of Tolkien - great read, must buy if still onsale).

They do strange things like this in films. Another example - Forrest Gump, killing off Jenny for a movie audience was a bit cruel I thought but the Director wanted the sad overtone to overlay any outwardly happy ending. I was stunned when I first saw it as I didnt expect them to do this at all as there seemed no real reason for doing it. The wholesale changes throughout the film left the book in tatters and it was more of a 'based on the idea of' than an adaptation. At least that hasn't happened here.

I suppose my point is that the changes GP underwent were very 'minor' on the normal scale of things. I've read books after watching a film and sometimes felt the film treatment of it was better than the book (not in this case obviously) but I can't really fault GP as a great piece of family entertainment.

All the non Pratchett readers in my household loved it and I, as a long standing fan of 23 years was pleased as punch with it.

What more could I ask for? :lol:
CJDobs

Postby Bascule42 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:25 am

CJ, you are right. We do have to give a certain amount of leeway to film makers when judging their translation of the written word to screen. Things do get swapped around, changed, and bits get cut. This is a fair expectation.

There is one point I would disagree with on. I can't by any stretch see the changes made as being minor. (What follows are general comments for all - and certainly not an attack on your opinion).

Couple of points, by no means everything.

Reacher Gilt. Gilt is charismatic, he throws lavish parties, he is the man to be seen with. He is 10 times the con man that Moist could ever be, (by Moists own admission). Everybody sees him as lovable rogue. They laugh at his jokes about robbing them blind. He is such an artist of the long con, that he tells people not to trust him and they laugh at his waggishness. He is the master of all con men. Loved by many, respected by all, and feared by some.

Sky's production reduced him to nothing more than a cheap two dimensional cartoon villain. I was expecting him to say at the end, "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for the meddling kids", as he was exactly like a Scooby Doo Villain.

In my mind, most of the other characters under Sky's eye didn't fare any better. Adora-Belle's transformation into gymkhana girl being a case in point. Totally unnecessary, seemingly put in to provide a little bit of sexual undertone. Or as Peter Kay might put it: "A bit of blue fer Dads". Simply no need for her to jump on the back of Boris and ride with Moist. The narrative delivered at the abandoned clacks tower could have fitted pretty much anywhere.

EDIT: Oh yes. The wizards! Mustrum Ridcully dropping his gaze? Cowed by Ventinari and Reacher Gilt? Bumbling, yes. octrane addled buffoons, definitely, (not counting the Librarian of course). But subservient to...well anyone? Not a chance. They be singing Paul McCarneys Frog song before they knew it.

One of the pivotal moments in the story, was when Moist was presented with Boris. It was the scene when his, shall we say "friendly con" of his colleagues, customers, press, and of course Adora, came to fruition. This was reduced to a something meaningless.

I think I'll stop now. Of course this is my opinion and nothing more. If people liked it. Good for them! :) In the spirt of things I will sign off thus:

Disgusted of Anhk Morpork.
It seems that beggars can actually be choosers.
Bascule42

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre