going postal

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Squig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:53 pm

If I'd realised this had devoled into a punning war I wouldn't have been fishing for comments...

Had to get at least one bad pun in...
Squig

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi there Squig - awesome first post! Image Very meaty :D

We might argue on your PoV but we'll only 'shout' at you ironically :wink: For instance I agree with you that Moist's a master, just not on the violin... My opinion is that he's a master amongst petty crooks, who uses people and ends up barely changing at all, but happens to be onside for Vetinari's enlightened regime by dint of the only other alternative being the hemp fandango (no smoking involved :wink: ). He thinks he only hurts greedy or venal people and thoroughly deserves to have Adora and Mr. Pump twanging his normally amoral conscience. I don't like him at all really and the charm factor irritates me, rather than mitigates.

I haven't read Making Money - I will, but not because it's a Moist vehicle, because Terry writes an excellent story regardless and Vetinari's in my top 3 fave characters. I didn't watch Going Postal at all (nor Hogfather, nor CoM) and probably never will, but that's because I don't really watch TV anymore, not because I'm never going to be a Moist fan. The clips looked the bizness and most people on here seemed to enjoy it on some level, but I fully agree that it's always a shame when the film doesn't live up to the book - very few really do. And when you don't like the hero much anyway it's not a big attraction to sit down for 3 hours when I know what's going to happen (mostly). :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Squig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks Jan, got to say I would heartly recommend Making Money as it's an excellent read (but which Discworld book isn't :lol: ), oh and speaking of which, does anyone know the recipe for thplot?
Did anyone get the number of that donkey cart...
Squig

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:03 pm

pooh I thought you were going to flounder there for a moment,but you were just being crabby maybe you should play a different tuna or do you do it on porpoise. :)
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm

:roll: :lol:

See Squig - everyone wants to be a clown(fish) on here (no mimes though) so we're mostly far too busy to hammerheads :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi squid welcome to the forum, but I did take the film for what it was regardless of what was in or not,just for the enjoyment of seeing it protrayed,but the books are allways better. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Squig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:51 pm

I was angling for a whale of a time, and although I didn't want to rock the boat I did want to make a splash with my first post. It seems that I've landed a good forum, even if the puns are a little wet.

:D
Squig

Postby fords » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm

*Waves to Squig* Ahoy there!
fords

Postby Squig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 pm

just thought I'd ask your opinion on my avatar!.. Arrhh matie!
Squig

Postby bikkit » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:01 am

Avast, ye, Squig. Sorry about the late welcome, but it's better late than never . I hope you feel you have a plaice here in a forum and don't leave us. That would cause much g-reef. I hove you enjoy yourself and mybe even have an elver(That's a baby eel, right?)(that was the lamest pun I've ever made in my life. elver- 'ell of a) time.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 am

Oy! I've already said plaice! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:10 am

There is a difference they're both flat but not related. :P even though they come from the same place. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby bikkit » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry, I just felt in my sole that I had to say that.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Penfold » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Squig wrote:I was angling for a whale of a time, and although I didn't want to rock the boat I did want to make a splash with my first post. It seems that I've landed a good forum, even if the puns are a little wet

Hellooo and welcome! :D Please don't blame huss for all these puns, we just like to skate on fin ice now and again!
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:00 pm

don't you just hake it when that happens,in fact it's far from the dogs pollocks.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre