Death of the Sitcom

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Willem » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:10 pm

I've got mixed feelings about the Big Bang Theory. The main source of the jokes is one of the nerds, who's social awkwardness borders unto the autistic. That's grown pretty old. They've got some great gags and situations, but they also tend towards the cliche sitcom stories.

Parks and Recreations is funny, although you have to be able to watch Amy Poehler to enjoy it. Not my favourite comedy of this moment, but still fun to watch.
Willem

Postby Fizz » Sat May 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Willem, I read an article at slate.com a few months ago that praised the program for the very reason you find it stale.

Must-Geek TV-Is the world ready for an Asperger's sitcom?
How do you build a sitcom around a neurological condition without uttering its name? That's the challenge CBS faces in its show about the travails of four Caltech researchers: experimental physicist Dr. Leonard Hofstadter (played by Johnny Galecki), engineer Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg), astrophysicist Dr. Rajesh Koothrappali (Kunal Nayyar), and theoretical physicist Dr. Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons). The running joke of The Big Bang Theory is that these guys are brilliant at understanding the workings of the universe, yet hopeless at socializing with Penny (Kaley Cuoco), a waitress who lives next door. But a more subtle theme is that Sheldon—flat-toned, gawky, and rigidly living by byzantine rules and routines—appears to have Asperger's syndrome.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby bruniezm » Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 am

Hi,

I liked to watch Cougar Town, it was much interesting to enjoy.
bruniezm

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Unless one counts re-runs and DVDs (of Spaced, Father Ted, Black Books, Blackadder, Red Dwarf etc), I only watch Big Bang Theory.

I used to watch Friends but the endless loops of repeats on Ch4 and E4 have drained it of all joy.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby sheilaj » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 am

What about Early Doors and Gavin and Stacey?
I thought that Early Doors had The Royle family licked, stamped and posted.

Other favourites. The Thin Blue Line, Clarence (fairly obscure Ronnie Barker and Jo Tewson) Lame Ducks (really old, John Duttine and Lorraine Chase) and the masterly Open all Hours. Does anyone remember Turtle's Progress and Big Jim and the Figaro Club?
Not strictly a sitcom but I really really rated Boston Legal too.
sheilaj

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre