The perferct actors for the parts of The Witches

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chuckie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Sheila Hancock.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Joyce Grenfell - in her day - would have made a great Magrat
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 am

michelanCello wrote:Totally agree, exept for Magrat - I always imagined her a bit younger... Welcome to the forum, by the way... :D

Thanks for the welcome :D

I always thought Magrat was the "young one" only compared to the other two. I think there's a few references that suggest she's not quite as young as she acts or is treated. I picture her kinda mid 30s in Wyrd Sisters to early 40s in Carpe Jugulum. Tate's 42 and looks a bit younger so I think she's about right.

Sheila Hancock's another good choice for Granny. Helen Mirren could be good too. Just a pity Sky seems to have no interest in doing a Witches adaption.
Last edited by Pearwood on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pearwood

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 am

I think it's a case of commitment. The casting choices for the witchjes and the Watch are going to be crucial because there are so many books in these series. If you get a well known actress to play Granny, you pretty much have to be sure you can get her again for future films.

Maybe they'll go for relatively unknown actresses because of this. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 am

Not sure that's what's holding them back. They seemed content enough to cast David Jason as Rincewind and Rincewind could probably match Granny when it comes to how many books he appears in.

Although to be honest, it might be better for someone other than Sky to have a crack at doing a Witches book. The Sky adaptions have hardly blown me away so far. :?
Pearwood

Postby pip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:31 am

Pearwood wrote:Not sure that's what's holding them back. They seemed content enough to cast David Jason as Rincewind and Rincewind could probably match Granny when it comes to how many books he appears in.

Although to be honest, it might be better for someone other than Sky to have a crack at doing a Witches book. The Sky adaptions have hardly blown me away so far. :?

David Jason was quite possibly one of the worst casting choices in history.
Didn't fit Rincewind at all.
Wasn't impressed with first two adaptions at all but the Going Poastal one was reasonable.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 am

I actually don't think Jason was that bad a choice, but he played Rincewind as a moron. Rincewind is many things, but he's not stupid. There was also way too much slapstick humour. Sean Astin was an even stranger choice.

I thought Hogfather and Going Postal were watchable, but that's it really (I had to fight to stay awake through Colour of Magic). The main problem is that a straight adaption just don't work. A lot of Terry's humour is designed to be read, not to be heard (think how the Colour of Magic adaption killed the In Sewer Ants joke). They should dig out the guy who wrote the scripts for the Discworld games - that guy got how to do his own thing but still keep it feeling Pratchett-esque.
Pearwood

Postby pip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 am

Pearwood wrote:I actually don't think Jason was that bad a choice, but he played Rincewind as a moron. Rincewind is many things, but he's not stupid. There was also way too much slapstick humour. Sean Astin was an even stranger choice.

I thought Hogfather and Going Postal were watchable, but that's it really (I had to fight to stay awake through Colour of Magic). The main problem is that a straight adaption just don't work. A lot of Terry's humour is designed to be read, not to be heard (think how the Colour of Magic adaption killed the In Sewer Ants joke). They should dig out the guy who wrote the scripts for the Discworld games - that guy got how to do his own thing but still keep it feeling Pratchett-esque.

They got a pensioner to play a youngish wizard though. Surely thats not a good choice. I agree Sean Astin was very odd a casting as well as being rubbish. Having seen a few of the plays these worked so use Stephen Briggs for the adaptions :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am

pip wrote:
Pearwood wrote:I actually don't think Jason was that bad a choice, but he played Rincewind as a moron. Rincewind is many things, but he's not stupid. There was also way too much slapstick humour. Sean Astin was an even stranger choice.

They got a pensioner to play a youngish wizard though. Surely thats not a good choice. I agree Sean Astin was very odd a casting as well as being rubbish. Having seen a few of the plays these worked so use Stephen Briggs for the adaptions :D

i think it's just because they saw Josh Kirby's covers and assumed he was old, like I did unitl I read it properly and saw Kidby's illustrations.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am

As far as I recall Rincewind's age is never stated, is it? Although considering the length of time there must be between Colour of Magic and Unseen Academicals, he must have been young in CoM and old by UA.
Pearwood

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 am

Pearwood wrote:As far as I recall Rincewind's age is never stated, is it? Although considering the length of time there must be between Colour of Magic and Unseen Academicals, he must have been young in CoM and old by UA.
In Colour of Magic, when Rincewind briefly becomes Dr Rjinswand, his age is stated as 33. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Pearwood wrote:As far as I recall Rincewind's age is never stated, is it? Although considering the length of time there must be between Colour of Magic and Unseen Academicals, he must have been young in CoM and old by UA.
In Colour of Magic, when Rincewind briefly becomes Dr Rjinswand, his age is stated as 33. :)

He wouldn't have aged as much as others either as he had his stint in the other dimensions.
:D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby deldaisy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

pip wrote:
Pearwood wrote:Not sure that's what's holding them back. They seemed content enough to cast David Jason as Rincewind and Rincewind could probably match Granny when it comes to how many books he appears in.

David Jason was quite possibly one of the worst casting choices in history.
Didn't fit Rincewind at all.
Wasn't impressed with first two adaptions at all but the Going Poastal one was reasonable.

[]Pratchett, who has a cameo in the film's opening scene, is delighted with the casting of Jason, despite many fans expecting a younger, slimmer actor. “It was mainly the book cover illustrations that did that,” he insists. “I'm very good at not describing characters. David Jason has got three amazingly good attributes. Firstly, he is an excellent actor. Secondly, he's Sir David Jason, and that name counts for something. And thirdly he's a Discworld fan and about 15 years ago he declared that he wanted to play Rincewind. I thought, ‘Wonderful!'”
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby pip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 am

An author has to say that to promote the adaption.
He's hardly going to publicly disagree when the thing is coming out. :roll: :roll:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Pratchett, who has a cameo in the film's opening scene, is delighted with the casting of Jason, despite many fans expecting a younger, slimmer actor. “It was mainly the book cover illustrations that did that,” he insists. “I'm very good at not describing characters. David Jason has got three amazingly good attributes. Firstly, he is an excellent actor. Secondly, he's Sir David Jason, and that name counts for something. And thirdly he's a Discworld fan and about 15 years ago he declared that he wanted to play Rincewind. I thought, ‘Wonderful!'”

and 4th, and most importantly, he put up a large chunk of the money it cost to make which is why he is credited as Executive Producer. Call me a cynic if you like but that may have swung the casting decisions :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre