The perferct actors for the parts of The Witches

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The perferct actors for the parts of The Witches

Postby hibern8 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:58 am

Please, please, please...

Please can someone with the money and the expertise to make a TV movie/miniseries or even a feature length dvd, approach the following actors for the parts of the witches... I think they'd be ideal;

Granny Weatherwax - Dame Maggie Smith
Nanny Ogg - Dawn French (Pity that Liz Smith is a wee bit over the hill but Dawn French would be great).
Magrat - Emma Chambers or, even better, Siobhan Hayes fom the BBC sitcom 'My Family'.
Fot the part of Agnes Nitt... either Ruth Jones, Jenny McAlpine or Natalie Cassidy with the aid of a fat suit.

What do you think?
hibern8

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:12 am

Hi hibern8 and welcome! :D

I agree with Dame Maggie and Emma Chambers Image

Although I think using Dame Maggie would be a mistake after her already playing a witch in the Harry Potter series. :)

Seriously, I think Dawn French is just too young. There must be plenty of great actresses who are more of an age who could play here. I think Liz Smith would be to thin for the part anyhow. But those are interesting choices. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chuckie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 am

Dawn French would be a good choice if she was made up to look older but i always picture Miriam margoyles when i think of Nanny Ogg.
Emma chambers is, i think, a little too old to play Magrat. Having googled Siobhan hayes, i think she would be an excellent choice.
Welcome to the site Hibern8.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:27 am

I was thinking Patsy Byrne (Nursie in Blackadder) for Nanny Ogg and maybe Miranda Hart for Perditta X. although both would need a lot of assistance from the make-up and wardrobe departments. When it comes to Magrat, I haven't a clue (Kiera Knightly, Maybe? :wink: ).

Welcome to the site Hibern8
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:54 pm

welcome to the site hibern8 :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 pm

welcome to the site hibern8 :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Welcome from me too, hibern8, I've always thought of Maggie Smith as the perfect Granny, even if someone got her before for witch Mcgonagall, but she would be perfect anyway. Welcome again :P
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tone The Phone » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Emma Chambers is spot on for Magrat, but I think that Kathy Burke would also make a wonderful Nanny Ogg.

And I think that Alison Moyet would do rather well as Agnes. Statuesque and with a great voice. I saw her in a theatre show a few years ago, with Dawn French. The show wasn't that great, but Ms Moyet was rather special.

Tony
I like telephones...
Tone The Phone

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi hibern8 and Tone. Wouldn't Alison Moyet be a bit old for Agnes? I think Agnes is quite young. It would be even worse than when Emma Thompson played a teenager in Sense and Sensibility!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 pm

I agree about Alison Moyet being too old for Agnes, although she is one of my favourite female vocalists.

This might be slightly 'outside the box' casting, but what about June Brown (of Eastenders fame) for Granny Weatherwax? I've seen her in a few other roles (I can't stand Eastenders) and think she's a great actress.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Welcome to the site Hibern8, Joanna Lumley as granny. :?: :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Danny B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 am

I think Emma Chambers is absolutely perfect for the role of Magrat. I've noticed a few people mentioning her age, but I never got the impression that Magrat was in the first flush of her youth. She always seemed to me to be a woman in her thirties, who'd simply led a sheltered sort of life.

My vote for Granny would be Shirley Stelfox. (Image)

For Granny I'd go with a Keeping Up Appearances theme and cast Patricia Routledge. Everyone thinks of her as Hyacinth Bucket, but she has far greater range than that.

Agnes/Perdita has me at a loss, though. :?
Danny B

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 am

Good image of Shirley Stelfox, I didn't know her, never seen her before, but it's really a good choice. I agree :D
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Willem » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 am

I've always pictured Liz Smith as Nanny Ogg, although she's too thin I guess. She's the right type in my mind though. She was the grandma in the Royle Family, and the old crazy woman in the first seasons of the Vicar of Dibley.

For Granny Weatherwax, I'd see Dame Judi Dench in that role. She's got the stare right. I still picture my own grandmother as Granny, more for looks than personality :)

Emma Chambers has already been mentioned for Magrat, she looks the part.
Willem

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 pm

A younger Liz Smith maybe. I think Nanny would be in her sixties at the most (I think an active life has lead to her looking older than she is :wink: )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre