whats your favourite non terry book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 am

I was worried, though, just there for a second. The fact that I didn't know any of the books, that is.
Quark

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:22 pm

The Garpes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. The Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien. The Famished Road by Ben Okri. Life of Pi by Yann Martel. His Dark materials and The Edge CHronicles for Children.
(To name a few:)
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby mystmoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Not in order
His Dark Materials (loved the daemons!)
Artemis Fowl
The Hobbit
Inheritance (by christopher paolini)
Chronicles of Narnia (before people pointed out all the meanings to me, that ruined it)
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

mystmoon wrote:Chronicles of Narnia (before people pointed out all the meanings to me, that ruined it)

Me too! Especially in Dawn Treader where Eustace the dragon sloughs off several layers of scales - he was much better as a dragon and far more useful instead of useless! :lol: :wink:

Actually in retrospect C.S. Lewis is a very heavy-handed writer, whether it's for children or adults - The Screwtape Letters are about the best thing he did I think, as at least that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a immortality tale :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby james.a.vivian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:22 am

Magic Kingdom for sale/sold by Terry Brooks I first read it when I was 11 and was hooked on fantasy from then on.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby mystmoon » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
mystmoon wrote:Chronicles of Narnia (before people pointed out all the meanings to me, that ruined it)

Me too! Especially in Dawn Treader where Eustace the dragon sloughs off several layers of scales - he was much better as a dragon and far more useful instead of useless! :lol: :wink:

Actually in retrospect C.S. Lewis is a very heavy-handed writer, whether it's for children or adults - The Screwtape Letters are about the best thing he did I think, as at least that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a immortality tale :D

the ending of the last battle freaked me as well
SPOILER wrote:I mean they all died! and then they were told it was all happy and stuff, and that they could see everyone again, and they weren't upset or worried about it, they were just like "oh we're dead. but we're in narnia! YEY!"
<----i don't want to ruin the ending for everyone
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby FirstoftheGangtoDie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:56 pm

A tie between A Clockwork orange and The Catcher in the Rye. Yeah I'm suuch a teenager :P
...I swear I'm too young to feel this old
FirstoftheGangtoDie

Postby Temple_maiden » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:47 pm

It's a series for me - the Dragonrider series of books by Anne McCaffrey - heavily alluded to by Pterry in the CoM with HIS dragonriders.

I haven't read any of the more recent ones whch she wrote with her son, the reviews on Amazon are not very good - so I stick to the 'pure' ones.
. . . and I'm all like, "I wrote a book, innit," and they're all like, "Well where can we get it," and I'm all like, "Here . . ."
Temple_maiden

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books