Cain and Abel

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Cain and Abel

Postby MattK » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Feeling particularly blasphemous today? Well head on over to Free Range Thought for the next installment in a series I like to call, the Bible (don't read ahead or you'll spoil it!).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:40 pm

:lol: That's good!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:44 pm

It´s funny :D Like the Adam and Eve story a bit more though :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Beth » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I've been reading a couple of books on Matthew Manning, the British psychic and healer. First is about him in general the other is about experiences he had with poltergeists in his house when he was younger. Very very interesting. Also reading Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland by Lady Gregory.

And um..Carpe Jugulum. You know how it is.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Love it! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 pm

very good matt liked the bit about him marrying a very close relation :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:12 pm

The story about the prodigal son always bugged me. It seems to me that what it is saying is - go off, enjoy yourself, live irresponsibly and as long as you say you're sorry you'll get treated better than someone who has worked hard, been a good person and behaved yourself.

What sort of message is that? :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks everyone. The semester is starting next week so my writing will slow down a bit. Except for those ever so much fun papers for organic chemistry, A&P, and 3 other classes that I can't remember right now. But I'm glad you all (or you'se as people say around these parts) enjoyed it. I'll write some more when I can.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Batty » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The story about the prodigal son always bugged me. It seems to me that what it is saying is - go off, enjoy yourself, live irresponsibly and as long as you say you're sorry you'll get treated better than someone who has worked hard, been a good person and behaved yourself.

What sort of message is that? :shock:

It's an unfair message, Tony. It's like the sibling that never visits or helps a parent, only for that parent to cherish them more than the other siblings who are around constantly.

I can only guess at the prodigal son as meaning that someone who is naturally inclined to be good makes less effort to be so than someone who struggles to be good but decideds to act responsibly anyway.
The first step to turning over a new leaf towards 'goodness' is to have acted badly in the past.
Does that make sense??
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby MattK » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:34 pm

There's another part of that story that people usually forget. The whole situation was compared to a shepherd losing a sheep. That shepherd, it stated, would leave the rest of his flock to go search for that wayward sheep. And when he found it, would celebrate its return. So the whole thing is just a metaphor (allegory?) for someone losing their faith, then coming back to the church. And when someone does return, you realize how much they were missed and celebrate. It's more of a you don't know what you have until it's gone idea.

At least that's the interpretation I remember from religion class. Personally, I think the other sheep in the flock would have run off somewhere else while the shepherd abandoned them to go find the one stupid sheep, but that's just me. :)

Besides, who wouldn't celebrate their son returning after they thought he was gone for good?
MattK

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:45 am

MattK wrote:
At least that's the interpretation I remember from religion class. Personally, I think the other sheep in the flock would have run off somewhere else while the shepherd abandoned them to go find the one stupid sheep, but that's just me. :)

No, that's the way I saw it as well. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am

what if he was a she and came back with a load of kids from various people who were definitely not close relatives? :twisted:

I quite like god in this - makes a nice change anyway :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Return to Non-Discworld books