Comics and graphic novels

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Comics and graphic novels

Postby Square12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 am

The thread in the children's book section got me wondering what if any comics/graphic novels people read.
I myself am a big fan of any deadpool among most marvel stuff, also a lot of stuff in CLINT magazine and watchmen.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Re: Comics and graphic novels

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:13 am

Hmm...I've found, mostly through experience rather than any preference per se, that I'm a DC kind of guy, or to be more precise, a Vertigo kind of guy. I used to think I preferred Marvel over DC. I also enjoy a lot of manga.

Let's see. Graphic novels I have enjoyed...

*Watchmen

*The Sandman

*V for Vendetta

*Batman (particularly The Killing Joke and Year One)

*Kingdom Come

*Transmetropolitan

*The Unwritten

*Hellboy

*The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

*Sin City

I also have some Terry Pratchett graphic novel adaptations, as well as the Doctor Who comic compilations The Mark of Mandragora, and Oblivion.

As far as manga are concerned, my favourites are:

*Neon Genesis Evangelion (better than the anime series, IMO)

*Azumanga Daioh

*Death Note

*Monster

One of my most prized possessions is a copy of Watchmen, which I recently got signed by Dave Gibbons.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm not much for graphic novels, but recently I have read two long-term-but-ended webcomics that are also in print which I consider to qualify as genuinely being novels: Digger, by Ursula Vernon, and Narbonic, by Shaenon Garrity. If they had been written entirely in words instead of mainly in pictures, they would still have the elements of a novel, and in my opinion, would still be worth reading.
=Tamar

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 am

Another good topic.

The Sandman, V for Vendetta & TP's The Last Hero, are prob my favourite graphic novel/comic series.

Recently read, Preacher & Transmetropolitian. I'm currently into The Walking Dead & Dark Tower series.

When I was in my teens and 20's I read Heavy Metal magazine, Silver Surfer, Groo the Wanderer & 2000AD. I stopped reading comics out of my 20's and have only just started reading them again in the last few years.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Haven't really gotten much lately. But used to be big into the ninja turtles comics. think I have almost 100 of them.

I was for a time trying to collect all the comics covered in the death and life of superman novel. everything from the reveal of doomsday through his death, the funeral, the rise of the 4 supermen,up to his return and the defeat of cyborg. I got most of them, but the comic shop i went to was spotty, and i didn't always have the money.

But, i have to say i'm more of a marvel fan. have a bunch of random selections from various comics. and always wanted to read the civil war and those connecting arcs.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Katblossom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm

I've started to read Batwoman. Good female hero. I used to read Wonder Woman and the Justice League comics from DC years ago when comics shops still existed. Now I buy Batwoman to read on the IPad. It works pretty well actually but having the actual object of a comic is something I miss.
Katblossom

Postby Katblossom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 pm

There was also a comic book called Love and Rockets which was written by two brothers - beautiful black and white artwork.
Katblossom

Postby Barchester » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am

I was pleasantly surprised by the new X-Files comics. The so-called "Season 10" series really goes on where the television show stopped, and it really feels like proper new X-Files.

Concerning graphic novels, though, I'm reading mostly what other people seem to do. Watchmen, V for Vendetta, that sort of stuff. I'm terribly fond of anything Alan Moore writes, especially his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series. Marvel's The Dark Tower series is good, too.
“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”
Barchester

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 pm

I liked the Scott Pilgrim series. The next comic I'd like to get into is Jonah Hex.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Barchester » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:40 am

Jonah Hex has been on my list for a long time as well. Thanks for reminding me. Come to think of it, so has Preacher. I've been wanting to get into that one for years now, ever since I read an excerpt when visiting a comic loving friend.
“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”
Barchester

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:I liked the Scott Pilgrim series. The next comic I'd like to get into is Jonah Hex.

The film wasn't that good but watchable.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 am

I didn't know much about Jonah Hex until I saw the movie, Dug. I liked the character & thought the comic would be worth getting into.

Barchester wrote: Come to think of it, so has Preacher. I've been wanting to get into that one for years now, ever since I read an excerpt when visiting a comic loving friend.

I really enjoyed Preacher. It's all kind of messed up but good just the same.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby =Tamar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 pm

A Redtail's Dream is now into the epilogue. It's gorgeous. I've been following it online for over a year. I didn't get into the kickstarter, but next spring the book (over 500 full-color pages) will be in print!
=Tamar

Postby stuperrins » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Graphic novels should you defo read are -

1. WATCHMEN
2. SUPERIOR
3. THE NAO OF BROWN
4. 1985
5. SUPREME
stuperrins

Postby Katblossom » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Where do you all buy your comic books? Online or in specific shops? Comic book shops are very sparse these days. Theres one I'm going to visit in Melksham next week which also sells hot sauce apart from anything else, lol. ( Komix)
Katblossom

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books