For the Rankinites

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: For the Rankinites

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:37 am

Yeah. Ended up downloading 3 other books by other authors. One was free, so that's OK!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 pm

New on Kindle.
Robert Rankin ‏@therobertrankin ·6 mins6 minutes ago
My new novel 'The Abominable Showman' will be released on Kindle on 26th January. You can pre order here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R6BNZK8 … View photo Hide photo
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks Dug.

Any idea where I can find a plotline write-up for this?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Bouncy, it was originally to be published by Telos but that fell though some disagreement, last time I had a beer with himself in a bar at a Con in Brighton he did give me a very brief outline about the protagonist but I can't name names, :roll: but someone in the publishing business. ;) apart from that there is none at the Mo which I know about it, maybe there will be one on Amazon soon.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:46 pm

I shall wait before I buy it, to see what it's all about.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm

I will give you a heads up if I find out. :mrgreen:

Bouncy here it is.

THE ABOMINABLE SHOWMAN, EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE AS AN AMAZON KINDLE EDITION.

Yes, it's true. the galaxy's best loved time-travelling holy guardian sprout, Barry, has returned for his last ever adventure.

And if that alone isn't worth making a big fuss about, then how about this?

The year is 1927 and the British Empire is about to celebrate Queen Victoria's ninetieth year upon the throne. And where better to do this than aboard the most expensive and exclusive cruise ship ever built? The mile-long SS Leviathan, a space liner/pleasure craft, orbiting Earth, where, in the spirit of the Jazz Age, anything goes. For in space the laws of Earth do not apply and rich folk can really indulge themselves.

Meet Lord Jonathan Crawford, gentleman adventurer.

Lady Agnes Rutherford, secret agent.

The "Three Owls", Aleister Crowley, Master of the Arts Magickal"

Al Jolson, politically incorrect "minstrel" and Voodoo High Priest.

And Al Capone, a right dodgy geezer.

And let us not forget the Master and Commander of The Leviathan, Count Ilya Rostov, the 20th Century's very first super-villain.

Add into the mix a vegetable lamb, a reluctant schoolboy plucked from the nineteen-fifties to save the world and more space pirates than you could shake a sticky thing at. Stir in God, a modicum of excruciating poetry and a big spoonful of Armageddon and you may well have got started into THE ABOMINABLE SHOWMAN.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chillicamper » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:53 am

Oh what a quandary........what to do :think: .....I want to get this, but it would mean purchasing an electrickery bookery.....something I have so far avoided like the plague. I know I can get an app thingy for my phone, but that's too small to read from comfortably.

And when I've tried using a friend's kindle thingybob recently it hurt my eyes....I want dead tree technology!
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:29 am

chillicamper wrote:Oh what a quandary........what to do :think: .....I want to get this, but it would mean purchasing an electrickery bookery.....something I have so far avoided like the plague. I know I can get an app thingy for my phone, but that's too small to read from comfortably.

And when I've tried using a friend's kindle thingybob recently it hurt my eyes....I want dead tree technology!

You can download a Kindle for PC app to your PC or laptop for free.
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby raisindot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Even though I have a Kindle, I find it very hard to actually get the whatever to read anything on it. I've got one of Rankin's more recent novels on it but have never started it. I've "borrowed" several e-books from the library and never read them. If these were in dead tree form it would have been consumed long ago.

I think that's one key flaw of the e-book format, particularly if you're an author. People just download these things and since they''re not in front of people they just become more digital bits.
raisindot

Postby DaveC » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:42 pm

raisindot wrote:Even though I have a Kindle, I find it very hard to actually get the whatever to read anything on it. I've got one of Rankin's more recent novels on it but have never started it. I've "borrowed" several e-books from the library and never read them. If these were in dead tree form it would have been consumed long ago.

I think that's one key flaw of the e-book format, particularly if you're an author. People just download these things and since they''re not in front of people they just become more digital bits.

This.

I started reading A Tale of Two Cities on my phone when I first got as it was a free from Google Play. I think it was the novelty of it being my first smart phone (Christmas 2012..) I got around 10 pages in maybe and then just kind of forgot about it and started reading regular books instead.

I think I prefer just reading the internet and longish articles in digital rather than full blown novels
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks Dug.

I love Barry. Methinks I shall invest.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Free book coming :mrgreen:

Robert Rankin
FREE EBOOK FROM ME TO YOU
YES! To celebrate the launch of Barry the Time Sprout's last adventure, THE ABOMINABLE SHOWMAN (now available to pre order as a Kindle edition, as I think I might have already mentioned) Far Fetched Books will be giving away for a limited time only, Barry's very first adventure ARMAGEDDON:THE MUSICAL (First published a quarter of a century ago, where did my life go?) THEY CAME AND ATE US and THE SUBURBAN BOOK OF THE DEAD (the other two books in Barry's original trilogy) will both be cut to half price.
Are there no lengths I will go to in order to promote my new novel?
Probably not. But hey, it is free.
Offer begins on launch date 26th Jan.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Thanks Dug.

I love Barry. Methinks I shall invest.

Bouncy have you read it yet, and if so what did you think of it. :?:
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books