What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:36 am

I've read a couple of interesting books in the past little while (as noted on my thread), ranging from the first volumes of the strange manga Durarara!!, the bizarre Japanese novel Paprika, and Murder on the Orient Express. Currently chipping away at a Doctor Who novel called The Sands of Time...
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby storm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:15 am

have just started on another of the 'Dresden Files' by Jim Butcher.

The series is about a wizard living in modern Chicago .
I wasn't too excited by the first one I read: Fool Moon, it's about werewolves
But thought I'd give the series another try.
This one is about Nightmare daemons.

Storm
"Sometimes the storm winds blow so strong a man has no choice but to furl his sails.”

George R.R. Martin,
storm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:16 pm

It's a good series gets better as it goes on, and the good news is he a G.O. H. at Eastercon next year in London. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, I've just started Game of Thrones as well. Never seen it, don't know anything about it, and I could do with a good long read. So far, so interesting.

Just finished the Percy Jackson series, which was entertaining.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Finished the latest Dresden Files and it was just as expected. Fun and fast! I've started on Charlaine Harris' new book, Midnight Crossroads. Kind of slow to get into, it's the first of a new series, but enjoyable so far.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Iv'e had a look at that one Catch-up, post a review when you're finished reading it. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm reading a LOT of Pratchett at the moment just in case I end up having to cover in Strangely Fascinating. I'm on a book a day currently :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:I'm reading a LOT of Pratchett at the moment just in case I end up having to cover in Strangely Fascinating. I'm on a book a day currently :roll:

:lol: I'm wandering the mean streets of Ankh-Morpork (the Compleat Guide) in my sleep atm - really channelling Vimes just now :P That and Turtle Recall although that's more use for the new Caroc deck I'm taking up with me for the Dicebox :roll:

MAD - don't get too manic although you could refine your research reading to guilds/societies and industries in A-M (or environs such as Holy Wood since Moving Pictures market was in A-M ;) ). I'm trying not to do too much on the railways though I daresay it'll creep into the equation as Pat and Chris are planning on doing a lot of ad libbing this time around... :shifty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:57 pm

(The Mad Collector wrote:
I'm reading a LOT of Pratchett at the moment just in case I end up having to cover in Strangely Fascinating. I'm on a book a day currently ) that's Raising the standard a bit Mad. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:35 am

Amongst other things, I've started reading the graphic novel series The Invisibles, by Grant Morrison. Two volumes in, and, well, it's both repellent and strangely engrossing. Morrison's an extremely intelligent writer, but he's also a very morbid one...
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:02 am

I been reading dawn of the bunny suicides
I'm a bad bad person :twisted:
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby storm » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Finished the two Dresden files that I have and haven't tracked down any more yet.
Have just started a factual account of the battle of Pegasus bridge by Stephen Ambrose.

So far so good.

Storm
"Sometimes the storm winds blow so strong a man has no choice but to furl his sails.”

George R.R. Martin,
storm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 pm

You can get them on Kindle storm, or I seen them regulary in the Works book outlets three for a fiver, and in the charity shops. I have only three to read not got the latest one yet. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby hnorwood » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 am

I am ashamed to admit that I have only just discovered Iain M Banks; picked up "Matter" from the Library. Almost can't put it down. I'm hooked!
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:48 pm

the long mars
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books