What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:27 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Is the job that bad SJen. :mrgreen:

Given how the state government has been treating Queensland Health at the moment, yes. :roll: I remember SisterJennifer mentioning she worked in the health field.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Ah, rumbled!

Nah, everything is tickety-boo.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:Ah, rumbled!

Nah, everything is tickety-boo.

ImageImage ;) :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:HAve started the Game of Thrones series... Wish me luck.

Well, try to stay away from the TV series or anyone who's watched it. They're notorious for spoiling everything for the book readers... :D
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:10 pm

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Tonyblack wrote:

Spoiler alert

Spoiler: show
EVERYBODY DIES
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:08 pm

:lol: Love the e-card. So true!

Reading the latest Dresden Files. 8-)
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Lucky you I have not got it yet. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Just finished the latest Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum book, 21 something or the other. Light as a feather low-cylinder entertainment, just as forgettable as the last 20. Now I'm heading off in a completely opposite tangent, facing the chore of dealing with The Long Mars, which I have to read quickly, as it is due back at the library next week.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm reading The Long Mars at a much more leisurely pace and enjoying it for the most part. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:

Ah, you're gonna think I'm crazy, I've watched the entire telly series to date. My husband read the books long ago and said I should read them. So I thought I might. I'm about half way through the 1st book which IS very good but so close to what they've done in the tv series I'm not sure I'll read the other books. I'm not one to be bothered by the length of a book either but each one is so very, very long. We'll see.

My 'to read' pile is so high I want to crack on with other novels I have.

Alackaday!
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby raisindot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I had watched all of Season 1 before I read the books (I hadn't even heard of the series until the show came on) and finished them all before Season 2. Glad I did. While the show does follow the books pretty closely, there are some changes (most of them for the better) that occur on the series. Reading the books lets you get the plot the way Martin originally intended. In a few cases scenes in the book that the show took out for brevity's sake lessen their dramatic impact.

Plus if you read the books you get hundreds of pages of backstory on the histories of all the aristocratic families of Westeros.
raisindot

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm deliberately not reading Game of Thrones or Song of Ice and Fire or whatever the book series is called, though I'm itching to do so. Two reasons, one: it's nice to have a complete series to read in its entirety without having to wait months or years for the next installment, I think the experience is so much more intense that I think I'm willing to wait until Martin puts his final wrap around it. And two: well, there's a lot of really good fantasy book series' around but only one really good fantasy TV series, i.e. Game of Thrones so I don't want to detract from it's effect by fore-knowledge or be distracted by discrepancies.

Anyway, talking of really good fantasy series I've been re-reading Katherine Kerr's Deverry series, the first 4 anyway... good stuff, very Celtic.
MongoGutman

Postby Bickaxe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 am

Due to a lack of football for 2 days I figured it would only be right to finish Serpent of Venice.

Enjoyable and i'd like to see more of Pocket but I don't think it was as good as Fool. Jonesy was awesome as ever though.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:Ah, you're gonna think I'm crazy, I've watched the entire telly series to date. My husband read the books long ago and said I should read them. So I thought I might. I'm about half way through the 1st book which IS very good but so close to what they've done in the tv series I'm not sure I'll read the other books. I'm not one to be bothered by the length of a book either but each one is so very, very long. We'll see.

My 'to read' pile is so high I want to crack on with other novels I have.

Alackaday!

While I agree that the series sticks pretty much to the storyline in Book 1, like Raisin says the TV plot does differ after that, notably the Theon Greyjoy strand (in how it originates anyway :shifty: ). I'm only just halfway through book 2 atm, having read Game of Thrones back in the '90s but I think both the books and the series support each other pretty well - certainly casting-wise and is why Pete Dinklage keeps winning all those awards :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books