What are you reading?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 pm

I've just started to read the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien (you know - Master and Commander :wink: )

I've been hearing about these books for years and even have most of the series already. I just haven't got around to reading them yet.

This series and the Hornblower series were part of the reason that Bernard Cornwell created Richard Sharpe. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Statsman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Very good books. I enjoyed them. If you like these Tony, I can recommend Alexander Kent (Bolitho series) & Julian Stockwin (Kydd series).
Statsman

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Statsman wrote:Very good books. I enjoyed them. If you like these Tony, I can recommend Alexander Kent (Bolitho series) & Julian Stockwin (Kydd series).

Thanks! I've actually started to pick up the Alexander Kent books as I see them in charity shops.

I'm sure you know that he also writes WW2 sailing books under the name Douglas Reeman. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Statsman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Yes, they're good as well. :D
Statsman

Postby Jinx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:47 pm

Right now I'm reading K-PAX III - The Worlds of prot by Gene Brewer. If you've seen the film to the first one, disregard what happens in it. I like these books, because they play up to my interest in clinical (and to an extent forensic) psychology.

When I'm done this, if I will either go back onto a Pratchett book like Thud or The Wee Free Men, or will re-read Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly.
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:18 pm

I lost all my Philip K Dick books - I had a whole stack of them. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was my favourite - in some ways I prefer it to Blade Runner.
Tonyblack

woy r u reading

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:58 am

deamons r forever by simon r green

good well written book which is the second part of a series
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby MJ » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:53 am

Fantastic Thread! Great to see what other people are reading - if we are all tickled pink by the same great Pratchett, then odds are that this thread will have some excellent recommendations!

Recently read Neverwhere and thought it was the most brilliant book I'd read in ages - dived into Anansi and the rest but honestly, Neverwhere is more mind-bending than the rest, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

For those who were reading war novels, Winter in Madrid is great by CJ Sansom, it's a nice holiday page turner, makes you think but not too much...

Cannot highly enough recommend Pullman's Dark Materials - all 3 are thrilling - enjoy!

At the moment I am struggling through a slightly disappointing Philippa Gregory, The Queen's Fool. I was looking for a page-turner (it's raining a lot and Nation won't be out for ages!) and someone recommended it. I won't be passing on said recommendation ;)

Alas I am one of those people who cannot leave a book unfinished, even if it is pants! I'm fighting to the end of this one, it may be one of the few I actually discard - shocking!

I think I'm going to take a leaf out of many of your books and start re-reading my favourites again... OK enough rambling!
"As full of hustle, bustle and sheer exuberant busyness as a dead dog on a termite mound." [Mort]
MJ

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:26 am

Neverwhere was a really good book and the adaptaion on TV a while back was pretty good too. I think American Gods has been my favourite of Neil's books so far though. :)

I'm still reading the Patrick O'Brien book, but have got my next book lined up.

After all these years I've never got around to reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I started once but got so fed up waiting for something to happen, that I gave up. But I've decided that I'm going to read the trilogy this year come what may.
Tonyblack

Postby TheMole » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:48 am

I am reading "Fatherland" by Robert Harris. I recommend it to all fans of "what if" novels :wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:15 pm

Currently reading Fellowship of the Ring. I've made myself a promise to read the series this year. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Statsman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:58 am

Ah the book that got me hooked on fantasy at 11. :D

Just finished Midnight Tides so am starting The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Statsman

Postby RACKU » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:35 am

Uhhmm.
Night Watch, to tell you the truth. I wouldn't have found my way to these forums if I hadn't started it :P
I'm also reading Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden, and the Bible (this, coming from a fantasy fan? xD)
RACKU

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Currently reading Fellowship of the Ring. I've made myself a promise to read the series this year. :)

It's worth it, only sometimes you might not think so! Grit your teeth and push on through (maybe you'll find them easy though).

I'm reading Middlemarch by George Eliot, for a reading group, so I'm going to have to speed it up cos it's a massive 800-odd pages.
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:10 pm

im now reading the nightside series by simon r green. not to ndeep and quite funny good pulp fiction. ive been reading an author called john ringo as well war sci fi
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books