Forum Writer of 2012 Competition

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Forum Writer of 2012 Competition

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:19 pm

:lol: Very good! :clap:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Very good writings! :clap: It's going to be a tough one, for sure...!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby DaveC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Just noticed this, sounds cool, I'll see what I can do. ;)

Welcome back Pooh, hope you had a good Christmas. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Ta DaveC :D

Bad Dot on t'other thread wrote:As, now since Pooh's back, I feel happy in throwing out my usual "Pyramids sucks!" bait.

Still talking out your bum. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby stripy_tie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Ta DaveC :D

Bad Dot on t'other thread wrote:As, now since Pooh's back, I feel happy in throwing out my usual "Pyramids sucks!" bait.

People don't like pyramids?, I mean it's not a stand out book but it's still very good.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:56 pm

I thought it was rather good. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:14 am

15 The Fourth Crusade

There was a crusade the fourth of its kind. It reached Venice after quite some time. The Venetians were willing to ship the crusaders to the Holy Land, for a small fee. Alas the crusaders were down on their luck.
No worries, said the Venetians, you can do us a favour. Constantinople that great city is being a pain in the neck. Capture it and we will be in your debt.
But the Byzantines are good Christians! We only fight the unbelievers!
No worries the Byzantines are excommunicated by the pope!
Well…
Think of the riches!
Which way is Constantinople?
Last edited by poohcarrot on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:15 am

16 The Slayer

The future is not quite what I hoped it would be. Men in grey coats watch our every move, while the great leader tries to rule our every thought. It´s not easy to get a gun in this supposedly crime free society. It’s not impossible either.
I’ve had enough of it all. No I’m not going to shoot myself, it’s the great leader I’m going to kill. My name while be remembered as Thomas the Tyrantslayer.
I thought things went well, but now I’m on death row and will be forever known as Thomas the Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs slayer.
Last edited by poohcarrot on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 am

stripy_tie wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:Ta DaveC :D

People don't like pyramids?, I mean it's not a stand out book but it's still very good.

It's a running gag stripy. :lol: :lol:

Everybody actually loves Pyramids, but they only say they don't to try and wind me up. :roll: :roll:

But if you notice, the ones who say they don't like Pyramids, usually say they like Making Money. :roll: So it just goes to show that the subtle and erudite humour of Pyramids is completely lost on people who like "knob gags!" :dance: :dance:
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:30 am

poohcarrot wrote:The Fourth Crusade

There was a crusade the fourth of its kind. It reached Venice after quite some time. The Venetians were willing to ship the crusaders to the Holy Land, for a small fee. Alas the crusaders were down on their luck.
No worries, said the Venetians, you can do us a favour. Constantinople that great city is being a pain in the neck. Capture it and we will be in your debt.
Well…
Think of the riches!

Oh, this is a good 'un. This should've been in that Crusades documentary with Terry Jones...

poohcarrot wrote:Everybody actually loves Pyramids, but they only say they don't to try and wind me up. :roll: :roll:

But if you notice, the ones who say they don't like Pyramids, usually say they like Making Money. :roll: So it just goes to show that the subtle and erudite humour of Pyramids is completely lost on people who like "knob gags!" :dance: :dance:

Pyramids has an excellent first part with Pteppic's test and life in the Assassin's Guild. The rest of the book is dreary and tired, much like the country of Djelibeybi. In other words, it's a load of bollocks.

Whereas Making Money lampoons the banks and economics in a very timely manner, and has Moist! Moist von -ing Lipwig! The knob gags are secondary. :P :dance: :dance: :dance:

As the l33tsp33kers would put it, Pooh, "Yr logicz r broken!" :D
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 am

Pooh wrote:Everybody actually loves Pyramids,

No!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 am

17 MAKING HARD DECISIONS

-This is so difficult, you can't expect this of me. How can I choose only one of you?
-You said I was your true hero, said Aragorn
-yes, you are but
-I thought you had decided to protect the four lands with me, said Allanon
-And I intend to, but
-And I was your soulmate, said Raistlin
-Well, what I meant...
-You know, I have work to attend to, so if you would be so kind as to make a quick decision, said Vetinari
-This is ridiculous, I can't go through this any time I want to reread a book!
Last edited by poohcarrot on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 am

Just a couple of points Q 8-)

a) You are a native English speaker, yet freely admit that you are incapable of writing a 100-word story. :ugeek:

b) A third of the entries so far are from people whose first language ISN'T English. :ugeek:

Sorry to disagree with you yet again, but I think that non-native English speakers who are brave enough to submit an entry should be applauded and encouraged, not ridiculed. 8-)
poohcarrot

Postby stripy_tie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 am

Quatermass wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:The Fourth Crusade

Well…
Think of the riches!

Oh, this is a good 'un. This should've been in that Crusades documentary with Terry Jones...

poohcarrot wrote:Everybody actually loves Pyramids, but they only say they don't to try and wind me up. :roll: :roll:

Pyramids has an excellent first part with Pteppic's test and life in the Assassin's Guild. The rest of the book is dreary and tired, much like the country of Djelibeybi. In other words, it's a load of bollocks.

Whereas Making Money lampoons the banks and economics in a very timely manner, and has Moist! Moist von -ing Lipwig! The knob gags are secondary. :P :dance: :dance: :dance:

As the l33tsp33kers would put it, Pooh, "Yr logicz r broken!" :D

I liked Making Money, it was good. It didn't really work as a satire of the banks though. It didn't even really work as a book, there's no clear beginning, middle, and end.

it's just Moist doing lots of stuff, having a lot happen to him in turn -some of it while working at a bank- and then doing some more stuff. The theme of money and it's worth is in there but it's lying scattered in bits and pieces and never really comes together.

Pyramids while not standing out from the pack all that much is nevertheless very well put together and tightly edited. It's themes of time, culture and history come through very well and the ending was even a little bit genius.

In fact Pratchett's moving away from theme based work like "Pyramids" and onto heavily plot driven stuff like "Making Money" and "Snuff" is the main reason for my dissatisfaction with the series of late.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 am

Funny thing, I love the Discworld more and more with every book I read... :think: but it's just strange me, I like them all even the ones that I do not like ^_^
CrysaniaMajere

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books