desert island book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: desert island book

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Hvitveis wrote:I think I would bring something so utterly boring, I'd rather play solitaire with palm leaves than read it. Something like the book version of dwarf bread..

I have an unabridged (at the time) websters dictionary from the 50's you could borrow :D
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Hvitveis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
Hvitveis wrote:I think I would bring something so utterly boring, I'd rather play solitaire with palm leaves than read it. Something like the book version of dwarf bread..

I have an unabridged (at the time) websters dictionary from the 50's you could borrow :D

That sounds about right: heavy, boring and dare I hope soft pages? ;)
Hvitveis

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:49 pm

2,556 boring soft pages.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby deldaisy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Um, Raft-Building For Dummies?

or as Antiq said:

If I didn't, the SAS Survival Handbook

I am being far too practical right? I am thinking "Hell if I am on a deserted island I would be too busy to read what with gathering water and wood and food and fishing and staying alive...."

None of you have ever been alone on a deserted island have you? I have.... well it was only for one day until the boat could get their outboard fixed on the dinghy and get back to me but they missed the high tide and couldnt get over the reef til the next high tide .... but it was ten hours!!!!! :D
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 pm

I have seen a lot of Man vs. Nature. Also, I have survived Ikea on a saturday, thay should give badges for that. + I used to be a girl scout. So I'd rather use my paper ration on something practical and soft..unless it was a book on Edible Plants and Animals On Your Desert Island. Including Recipes!! (I just got sidetracked looking at the smilies. There is even a Spongebob! 8-) )
Hvitveis

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 am

Hvitveis wrote:I have seen a lot of Man vs. Nature. Also, I have survived Ikea on a saturday, thay should give badges for that. + I used to be a girl scout. So I'd rather use my paper ration on something practical and soft..unless it was a book on Edible Plants and Animals On Your Desert Island. Including Recipes!! (I just got sidetracked looking at the smilies. There is even a Spongebob! 8-) )

A friend used to be a manager at Ikea..... if you ever want to get out of there quickly without doing the full marathon just tell you you are having an asthma attack (wheeze appropriately) and you medication is in your car. They will show you the shortcuts or emergency exits. :lol:

OR spill some water over the front of your pants and tell them you have peed yourself.... same response.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:37 pm

^ I went to Ikea with a girlfriend for the first time last holiday, ( wild horses couldn't drag my husband & kids there. They're smarter than me). It was morning when we got there and afternoon when we left. I don't what the hell happened inbetween. I had that strange lost-time feeling when we left, and a pain in the belly from eating too many Swedish meatballs.

Anyway my desert island bloke is Dylan Moran.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby meerkat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 pm

I would like to have my very thick paperback of the whole Sherlock Holmes collection. That'd keep me busy!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 pm

One book I would not like to bring on a desert island is A Trick of the Dark by B.R. Collins.If you haven't read it it's about this teenager whose shadow gets separated from his body and then the shadow starts haunting him and trying to kill him.I also wouldn't like to bring Lord of the Flies on a desert island :hand:
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books