Tom Bombadil

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Tom Bombadil

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Certainly an acquired taste - it's just so different from LotR in tone though and the depth's not great either. If he'd only written the tale of Feanor or the Fall of Gondolin in the same vein as Return of the King - just a smidge of passion and drama here and there - it would probably have been the greatest lyrical work of prose ever, in or out of genre, but I guess he just liked tweaking around more and never truly got to grips with putting the flesh on it.

If he'd only been able to use a word processor even, we might have seen it all decked out in language as compelling as we know he could write, because he was at least as prolific as Terry, but soooooooo flaming slooow - how Christopher Tolkien stayed sane piecing together all those hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pieces of longhand draft manuscript and scrawled notes I'll never know - just as well he occasionally got a typist in, or actually used a machine himself, else we'd never have got what we have in The Hobbit and LotR and the other books published in his lifetime.

This is what I meant when I was saying in another thread about how Tolkien's from another era, or even a whole world in reality now so comparisons to contemporary fantasy writers are hard to make in some respects. :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books