Stephen King...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Werewolf87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:43 am

I read Lissey's Story, which I liked very much. That's the only book by him I read so far, but I have the first three parts of the Dark Tower somewhere in my book shelf and I intend to read those.

I know quite a few of the movies derived from his books. To this day I can't look at Tim Curry without remembering Pennywise (...which probably contributes to my thinking that the actor looks creepy as hell).
Werewolf87

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am

poohcarrot wrote:I've read a few. They start off OK then they tend to go silly. :roll:

I agree. It's like he gets bored writing some books and therefore the endings seems very rushed.
I thought It was quite good until the spider thingy was introdused.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby polythenegirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 am

Aside from the most recent one I've read all of his books that I can find (including some of the books of short stories). My favourite is by far and away the Dar Tower series, easily the best thing he has ever written. Second after that is The Langoliers

I can understand where people are comign from syaing that he is hit and miss and things can go silly in them, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I like his style of writing
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby Antiq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:40 pm

I've read them all. A handful are very good, a couple are excellent, the rest are crap.......in my opinion, that is, but I still like 'em anyway :D My favourite is The Stand, I think that was his masterpiece. I also liked Running Man, Rita Hayworth etc., The Shining, Needful Things, The Green Mile, Misery, Dolores Claiborne and some of his short stories.
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Postby author3 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:09 pm

I've read the Shining and It
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby dennykay » Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

i've read most of his big books, he really does sell his books by the pound...most of them were...'yeah, nice, but kinda meh...' except for the stand and the dark tower.

i read the stand very late, i think last year or so, and when i started it, some newsreader in the book said captain trips was, according to some lab or other, a kind of swine flu. when i had stopped reading that paragraph, i turned on the tv and bang! swine flu in europe. mucho creepy!
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby Garfiun » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 pm

I haven't read any but have just picked up Cujo cheap to give it a go.
Garfiun

Postby Phoenix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:25 am

I read quite a lot of Stephen King as a teenager, but I can't remember which one was which now :? However, some stand out and have been read several times- Firestarter, The Dead Zone, The Stand and the Bachman Books, plus The Running Man :) they're not the more horror-themed books and I've always been a sucker for a dystopian society :D I would love to see a film version of the Running Man that was more faithful to the story :)
Hah! I laugh in the face of danger... Then I hide until it goes away.

+++ Out of Spoons Error +++ Redo From Start +++
Phoenix

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books