Questions about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Questions about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine books

Postby Beyond Birthday » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:27 pm

Which Star Trek: Deep Space Nine books are good? Please give the title and why it is good. Thank you!
Beyond Birthday

Postby Penfold » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 pm

I've read a few Deep Space 9 novels and found them fairly enjoyable, but generally not really as good as The Next Generation ones. Having said that, this is purely my own personal tastes and not a criticism of the series, which I have just started watching again on DVD from episode 1. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I can recommend the Double Helix Series (Infection, Vectors, Red Sector, Quarantine, Double or Nothing, The First Virtue) and the Invasion Series (First Strike, The Soldiers of Fear, Time's Enemy, The Final Fury) however, since they have crossovers between all the different series (except Enterprise, which I never really counted as being true Star Trek). Both have different types of theme, great storyline and pace, as well as benefiting from the input of multiple authors (a different one for each book). :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 am

I love the series, but have never read a book.
I'll write down those recommended by Penfold, you never know.. :)
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Willem » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I've only read a couple:

A Stitch in Time by Andrew J. Robinson. A Garak book, dealing with his past mostly but also his life after the series finale. On the one hand, I enjoyed it immensely, but it did take a bit out of the mystery that is Garak.

The 34th rule - co-written by Armin Shimerman. I don't remember much about this one. Some laughs (well, it's about Ferengi) and all characters that Armin portrayed play a role in the book. Read it if you like Ferengi, I'd say.

The Millennium trilogy. When I first read these, I thought they were awesome. They do have a lot going for them: interesting new characters, big enemies, suspense and action. I reread it some years later and was less impressed. Try the first one. If that one's got you hooked, you're sure to like the rest too.
Willem

Return to Non-Discworld books