Rankin' Rankin

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Let's go Woodchuck is brilliant! He should do a whole book solely with Lip Gold Wood Nymph.

You've lost me, mate.

People always get Lazlo's name wrong. :roll: I was using the same running gag. :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm

That I got, it was the nymph thing that lost my tiny mind.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Wood louse
Wood chuck
Wooden leg
Wood Nymph.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/wood-nymph
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Ahhhh.

'Scuse me. I'm off to The Swan for a Pint of Large, and a chat with the one eyed barman. :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:09 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:I love Rankin, but I have to agree that the Woodbine stuff is pretty crappy.

You're kidding, right? :shock:

Let's go Woodchuck is brilliant! He should do a whole book solely with Lip Gold Wood Nymph. Talking the toot with Fangio is hilarious. :lol: :lol:

Haven't read that one, and now that you've warned me about it I'll avoid it like the plague. The Woodbine stuff is pure drivel. Hardboiled detective genre parodies have been passe for decades (twenty years ago I had my own parody published, a short story about a tick that had attached itself to the skull of a typical hardboiled private dick. The tick solves the case by feeding its insights into its host's blood) and are the last resort of writers who have run out of original ideas. Which Rankin seems to have done in his more recent books. Fortunately, I'm borrowing a whole bunch more from some of the older ones from area libraries. Alas, none have any of the complete 'series' but they'll do.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

or a charter or something. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Indeed. :lol:

I think my favourite is The Brightonomicon. The thing with Fangio's hats was brilliant.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Ahhhh.

'Scuse me. I'm off to The Swan for a Pint of Large, and a chat with the one eyed barman. :lol:
Watch out for old Pete's dog, don't let him stand next to you Bouncy. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:12 am

Waterproof trousers, mate!! :wink:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:07 pm

and steel capped boots for the proverbal swift kick in its nuts. :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 am

Plunging through "Knees Up, Mother Earth" now.

Unless it diverts into Woodbineism (I got scared when the author appeared in a cameo) it looks like it may end up being my favorite so far. Makes me wonder whether this soccer-themed book in some ways inspired PTerry to write his own soccer novel.

J-I-B
Last edited by raisindot on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 pm

One of the reasons Robert had written the book is he's a Brentford football suppoter and is was about Brentfod winning the world cup.

But I don't think it gave Pterry the idea, his was mainly to do the with attitude of fans or the single minded mentality of a mob in suppot of their team, he is not a football fana far as I aware.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:49 pm

raisindot wrote:Plunging through "Knees Up, Mother Earth" now.

Unless it diverts into Woodineism (I got scared when the author appeared in a cameo) it looks like it may end up being my favorite so far. Makes me wonder whether this soccer-themed book in some ways inspired PTerry to write his own soccer novel.

J-I-B

The reason I first bought a Robert Rankin book (Web Site Story) is because on the front cover there was a quote from TP saying thet "RR is one of those people who can always make me laugh".

The Witches of Chiswick is all about the Richard Dadd Fairy Feller's Masterstroke - so is Wee Free men. It would not surprise me in the least if TP copied the football theme from RR.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

I just finished "That Angel Look" by Mike Ripley. I'm liking this series a lot as well.

The relevancy to this topic is that when describing a murder victim's apartment, Ripley describes a book shelf as containing everything that Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin ever wrote.

At first glance, this seems like an ackowledgement of greatness. But, considering that the murder victim is a sleazy wanker who has no life, one wonders whether it might be a back-handed compliment or a dig at Pterry/Rankin readers (or an expression of jealousy that Ripley doesn't have a similar global fanbase.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Is Mike Ripley the guy who writes about a guy in the 80s who drives a de-commisioned black cab?

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books