The Book Exchange thread

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Book Exchange thread

Postby Raz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:30 pm

The title kind of makes the thread obvious :lol:

Anyway, I find it hard to get hold of second hand TP books where I live, and I can't afford to buy every discworld book at £7.99 a pop from Waterstones :oops: so I was thinking, why not have a book exchange thread! :D

Basically post up books you have to trade and we can go from there! I currently have:

Good Omens paperback in excellent condition
Science of Discworld I in excellent condition

Any takers?

Also I'm UK based, so post to UK would be preffered on a cost basis, but I'm flexible :lol:
Raz

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Just to confirm - are we talking about straight exchanges with no money (other than postage) involved? :)

This sounds like a great idea and once I'm back in Cardiff in the New Year, I'll have to scour my bookshelves.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I´ve got some Dutch books I´m willing to trade if anyone is interested :wink:

Have to check my books first :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Artamis Shadowbane » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:18 pm

What a great idea :D

I have a few fantasy and other fiction to exchange, looking to replace all my paperback Discworld novels with hardback, if anyone has any spare hbs. Well one can only ask :)

I was given about ten pb Discworld novels by someone who had read them once, didn't want them any more. I think he made a mistake. That was several years ago now. Twas the best present I had had for years. Anyway, once I realised how brilliant the writing was, I insisted on hardbook first editions for the new books.

On my nnth re-read of the Discworld books at the moment, just on Night Watch, and you know? I am struggling to find a new author to get close to Sir Terry. Keep re-reading. Any suggestions?

If anyone is interested, let me know please.
Artamis Shadowbane

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:18 pm

I've moved this thread here and pinned it as I think it might disappear from the front page of the Broken Drum and be tricky to find. Depending on how popular it is I'll stick it permanently.

Tonyblack.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:57 am

I have:-

The Fifth Elephant, paperback, v.good condition
Maskerade, paperback, v.good condition

Edited to add

Carpe Jugulum, paperback in fair condition
Lords and Ladies, paperback in good condition

I'm looking for:-
Mort
Sourcery
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Feet of clay
The Last Continent
The Last Hero

I'm in UK and prefer to post here because of cost.
Last edited by wicked woman on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
wicked woman

Postby michelanCello » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:15 am

I'M NOT TRADING MY BOOKS! :evil:

Sorry... :wink: They're just... mine... It wouldn't feel right to get rid of them.
But apart from that I think this is a great idea... not for me, obliviously, but in general...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Raz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:10 am

michelanCello wrote:I'M NOT TRADING MY BOOKS! :evil:

Sorry... :wink: They're just... mine... It wouldn't feel right to get rid of them.
But apart from that I think this is a great idea... not for me, obliviously, but in general...

I know what you mean, but personally I cannot find DW books second hand locally, and on the rare occasion that I do it's normally one I already have. I could pick them up and use them to trade on here for ones I don't have though! :D
Raz

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm like mC unless I have more than one copy of something (I have 2 of The Truth due to separate catatonic visits to the Smith's at Charing Cross :shock:)

However - there's actually a website that does just this in an organised way so have a gander at this site - BOOKMOOCH. Will mean you get a bigger pool to fish in anyway :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:00 pm

me too :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby mystmoon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:04 pm

chris.ph wrote:

me too :)

and me, sorry! unless someone gives me doubles
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby wicked woman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Mine are all duplicates. 3 of them from charity shops when i forgot which ones i wanted.

I wouldn't let go of any others, though one day i might replace my paperbacks. Good luck to anyone who wants to keep hold of the ones they've got.
wicked woman

Postby pip » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 pm

When i unpack my books in the new place i will sort out my duplictes.
I've bought a lot of hardbacks were i had the paperback and one or two just got a little foxed and i bought a crisp copy.

I'm not missing any books so won't be looking to swap but will be willing to give these to a worthy follower of Pterry once i've worked out what I have in the next two weeks. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Raz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:30 pm

pip wrote:When i unpack my books in the new place i will sort out my duplictes.
I've bought a lot of hardbacks were i had the paperback and one or two just got a little foxed and i bought a crisp copy.

I'm not missing any books so won't be looking to swap but will be willing to give these to a worthy follower of Pterry once i've worked out what I have in the next two weeks. :D

Nice one. Just let us know when you're done! :D
Raz

Postby pip » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:34 pm

of course.

Should be anything up to eight or ten books at least.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books