MANGA

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm

mystmoon wrote:i read oh my goddess, but i'm not into harem mangas (or at least...not female harem mangas) so i got a bit annoyed with it, same as Love Hina or Negima!

Ouran High School Host Club. Now THERE'S a good harem manga :twisted:

I love the Ouran Manga :D,I'm sad it's finished :(
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby mystmoon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Who's your favourite Ouran Host?
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:10 pm

I liked them all so much :? it's hard to choose.(except for Honey,he was just ok).It used to be Mori,but now it's Kaoru(for now anyway :roll: ). :D Who's your favourite?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby mystmoon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:22 pm

hmm, i think its currently between kyoya and kaoru.
I saw a male haruhi cosplayer in leeds last month, which was entertaining to explain to my friend at least (male dressed as a female dressed as a male) dunno whether thats crossdressing or not!
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:28 pm

double cross dressing :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby BaldFriede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:31 am

I really HATE mangas. The combination of the childlike faces and the very adult nature of the stories is absolutely distasteful for me.
BaldFriede

Postby Beyond Birthday » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:58 am

Damn, quite the statement Friede. You'd HATE Tezuka then since he's the one that made that popular (note: Tezuka is the father of manga and loved the Disney style. Hence the reason why most manga and anime is like that).

Not all manga has that though. Most, but not all.
Beyond Birthday

Postby Beyond Birthday » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 am

Monkey Punch (Lupin the III) uses a style similar to that of a MAD Magazine.
Beyond Birthday

Postby BaldFriede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 am

Beyond Birthday wrote:Damn, quite the statement Friede. You'd HATE Tezuka then since he's the one that made that popular (note: Tezuka is the father of manga and loved the Disney style. Hence the reason why most manga and anime is like that).

I have kids myself. When I see a manga I see my kids doing this stuff, and that disgusts me more than anything else.
BaldFriede

Postby Beyond Birthday » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 am

Fair enough. If there was a comic book or manga that featured felines planning world domination I wouldn't wanna read it either.
Beyond Birthday

Postby BaldFriede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:21 am

BaldFriede wrote:
Beyond Birthday wrote:Damn, quite the statement Friede. You'd HATE Tezuka then since he's the one that made that popular (note: Tezuka is the father of manga and loved the Disney style. Hence the reason why most manga and anime is like that).

I have kids myself. When I see a manga I see my kids doing this stuff, and that disgusts me more than anything else.

If it does not have the childlike faces I don't call it a "manga". It is just a comic then. What makes a manga a manga is the combination of childlike faces and adult acts.
BaldFriede

Postby Beyond Birthday » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:09 am

That part I don't agree with. That's like saying all American comics are about superheroes or that all 90s comic books look terrible: that may be the majority but that doesn't define it.

Wait...*click* *click* *click*

Okay, according to Wikipedia it turns out that what you mentioned does more or less define manga. Oops.

So, wait, what does that make Lupin III? Anyway there are still plenty of Japanese comics that are good, you just have to try a lot harder to find them. If you only like hero comics, though, I can name several.
Beyond Birthday

Postby BaldFriede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:45 am

I did not say anything about Japanese comics. I only spoke about mangas.
BaldFriede

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 am

There are no Japanese comics. There is only Manga. Manga means Japanese comic.

You can't say you don't like manga but you like Japanese comics because they are one and the same thing. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby BaldFriede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 am

poohcarrot wrote:There are no Japanese comics. There is only Manga. Manga means Japanese comic.

You can't say you don't like manga but you like Japanese comics because they are one and the same thing. :D

I am aware of that. However, when we speak of "Manga" we don't mean any Japanese comic (at least i don't) but a certain kind of comic.
BaldFriede

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books