Equal Rites Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Is that why it's called Friday ... because of all the fried food we eat?

its called friday because every builder in the country stops on a friday for a full english :lol: this is a fact :wink:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

chris.ph wrote:
Lady Vetinari wrote:Is that why it's called Friday ... because of all the fried food we eat?

its called friday because every builder in the country stops on a friday for a full english :lol: this is a fact :wink:

um, a "full english" what? she asked knowing the answer will be so obvious, or embarrassing that she will :roll:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Dragging this topic kicking and screaming back to ER... :wink:

Does anyone think it a bit hypocritical of Granny one minute looking down her nose at what Hilta was doing and the next minute doing the same thing - selling preparations in A-M?

By the way - pennyroyal, which is mentioned a few times was used to abort pregnancies.

Nanny's favorite thing was to teach the girls to count, and hope they kept it up to avoid the, sometimes, obvious ending to a sexual encounter.

hahaha Kicking and screaming... I like that. :lol:

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
chris.ph wrote:

um, a "full english" what? she asked knowing the answer will be so obvious, or embarrassing that she will :roll:

bacon x 2
sausages x 2
eggs x 2
beans
tomatos
black/blood pudding
mushrooms
and fried bread

thats a full english :D
and all for less than a fiver or $10 if your on the wrong side of the pond :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Sorry Tony! I fried - I mean tried but how can this compete with a full english! :lol:

Chris - you forgot the HP sauce! :twisted: And toast or a nice thick wad (slice to you lot) of uninterfered with bread is a healthy alternative to the fried bread. You can put some proper butter on there if you need the extra fat, but I like using the bread to mop up and sausage and bacon juice afterwards :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 pm

i dont put sauce on in caffs as its horrible i use the tomato sauce(bean juice) instead , i did forget the tea you can stand a spoon up in tho :D
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Gourmet! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Kladivo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:02 pm

chris.ph wrote:

Full English (breakfast) is a thing that both has build and ruined The Empire. Encient Englanders (EE) invented and introduced this innovative method of conquering Poor Sods (aka 'natives'), which was based on giving them (PS) their own (EE's) food. Whole empires in Herebedragonslands fell immediately ill and became defenceless. All there was left for the colonists was to open a couple of hospitals and sustain a continuous supply of laxatives. But after some generations PS began to grow awareness that in fact they have not been defeated by black magic, curses and other fiendish means of mass soul draining but by the foul mixture of atrocities they always considered to be some blasphemous sacrificial abominations imposed on them by the barbaric EE as some form of weird, foreign cult. However, when they realised that it was in fact 'food' they said 'hang on a minute... We surely couldn't have been conquered by anyone eating THAT!' and the sense of humiliation was so great, they decided to muster some strength and kick the invaders with their frying pans back where the sun finally had set over the Habsburg empire...

The End

Bloody hell! THAT time already?!? Oh well, I'll talk about books some other time then... :oops:
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:20 pm

chris.ph wrote:
chris.ph wrote:

bacon x 2
sausages x 2
eggs x 2
beans
tomatos
black/blood pudding
mushrooms
and fried bread

thats a full english :D
and all for less than a fiver or $10 if your on the wrong side of the pond :lol:
You forgot the chips also. :roll: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Isn't it a Full Scottish when you chuck chips on it? :twisted: :wink:

Actually if you must have potatoes, I'm quite fond of hash browns with FE - instead of the Black Pud
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Ahh, I am enlightened... or enloaded, one of the two, we more or less call it the Denny's Grand Slam and or IHop Full On, Both Bountiful, both artery/colon endangering, but yummy nonetheless. :lol:

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Isn't it a Full Scottish when you chuck chips on it? :twisted: :wink:

Actually if you must have potatoes, I'm quite fond of hash browns with FE - instead of the Black Pud
NO! I have seen it most down here when I have been in a cafe with builders in it and with black pudding ,but they don't know how to make a good one as it just has lumps of diced diced suet in it costs them less money than minceing it as should be done with proper one. :P
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:38 am

(Gets back on topic) (in wind-up mood)

Apart from Kakaze and Phoenix, is there anyone else who thinks the staff communicates telepathically with Esk and tells her what to do? :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 am

poohcarrot wrote:(Gets back on topic) (in wind-up mood)

Apart from Kakaze and Phoenix, is there anyone else who thinks the staff communicates telepathically with Esk and tells her what to do? :D
And does the staff have a mind of its own? It actually makes Esk feel pain when Granny tries to burn it. This is odd as it goes out of its way to protect her in other parts of the story.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:22 am

Tony and Pooh - it's not telepathy as I understand it. Telepathy involves specific verbal communication without sound, and that is not what they have. But they certainly have a link and the staff is charged with protecting Esk until she can become a full wizard.

No one can take the staff from Esk either to steal or destroy it, but Esk can throw it away as she does towards the end of the book. It seems interesting to me that for all its wizardly power, the staff is essentially juvenile. Granny has to remind it of its obligation to protect Esk, even when Esk does something against the Esk/staff's own best interests, like staying in the middle of the river.

Once Esk is made a full wizard the markings from Drum Billet disappear and presumably she will shape the future markings on the staff with the uses she puts it to.

P.S. thanks for the good wishes everybody - I'm trying very hard not to fall again and I'm starting physical therapy next week. :)

Tony typed this for me. (It would have been MUCH longer if I'd typed it :lol: )
swreader

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels