Equal Rites Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Can you describe the scene where that happens? I'll have a look in the US version I have here. :)

ok, Granny talks to Esk, right before teaching her how to Borrow, and esk thinks of how she could...
"Don't you look at me in that way - said the old woman - one day you will thank me...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:08 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:I can't think of much to say about this book, so I'll wait for someone to say something stupid and then argue with them. :twisted:

(Jan's usually good for a stupid comment or two. So is SWReader, but she's incapacitated at the moment.)

Phoenix wrote:
Eh, I've quite probably said something silly in the above, so please be gentle with me and leave some limbs attached ;)

Um... I was only joking! Only trying to wind up Jan and hopefully bring a smile to the face of SWReader. :oops:

Wind away smartypants - I have other fish to fry on here and elsewhere just now so you won't see me in here too much for several more days, so make hay while the sun shines sunshine - the rain on your parade will arrive soon enough (monsoon proportions if swreaders back in the game! *blows her a kiss*) :P

As for saying something stupid, as Tony's observed you don't need me for that - and you're kippering yourself quite nicely and unassisted in Guidlty too.. :twisted: :wink:

Re HP women v HP actionmen - Rowling's hopeless anyway. Aren't Warlocks male Witches if they're suppose to be the same 'breed'? :evil: She doesn't know the true meaning of the term Wizard so just ignore that whole body of work - it isn't in the same league and so totally bogus to compare :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:AND it says clearly that Hilta's broom was old and malfunctioning...
I just think TP forgot about that. He probably liked too much the idea of Granny running and running to start the broom.. :lol:
I agree! It is a funny idea - especially with Granny being normally so self-assured. :lol:

But dwarfs repair the broom in Witches Abroad as well and in ER the wizards talk about getting Granny a new broom so she can travel to the University. In a later book she says that she did indeed travel to A-M several times.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:29 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:This is NOT an important question, I know, but at the beginning (on my book is page 42 of 172 total) it says "don't try to walk before you know how to run" ... :?: shouldn't it be "don't try to Run before you know how to walk" ???

My (American english paperback) book says "Don’t try to walk before you can run."

It might have been an accident, but I don't think so. I think it's a reflection of Granny's personality, though it doesn't really fit in with what she's telling Esk at the time. I could see Terry putting that in just to see if anyone would catch it!

The "a leopard can't change his shorts" is a reference to the bit in Soul Music where Scum? buys a leopard from the circus and puts it into Crash's? bedroom.
kakaze

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 pm

A phrase I liked in this book was "the words that are really magical are those who fights attempting to escape and become real"
I know he's talking about Magic, but it sounds exactly like every word he writes to me, so magical it becomes real.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:36 pm

kakaze wrote:
CrysaniaMajere wrote:This is NOT an important question, I know, but at the beginning (on my book is page 42 of 172 total) it says "don't try to walk before you know how to run" ... :?: shouldn't it be "don't try to Run before you know how to walk" ???

My (American english paperback) book says "Don’t try to walk before you can run."

It might have been an accident, but I don't think so. I think it's a reflection of Granny's personality, though it doesn't really fit in with what she's telling Esk at the time. I could see Terry putting that in just to see if anyone would catch it!

!! So it wasn't the translator's error!!
CrysaniaMajere

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:46 pm

I am even surprised. It's not at all impossible for the translation to be less than ok.. Over the years I've descovered many things badly translated, ever since I started reading in English. Sometimes it's a phrase that doesn't make sense, other times it's just that the translator didn't like the original and decided to change it!! That made quite angry :evil: :evil:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby kakaze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:28 pm

As someone who'd done translation work, I think that translating a book with as many puns as the average Discworld book has, would be very difficult.
kakaze

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:10 am

Tonyblack wrote::lol: Oh I think you underestimate your own ability to make stupid comments Pooh! :wink:

I don't think I do. :wink:

But you know I'm going to make stupid comments. I can't help it.

If anything, I underestimate my own ability to make sensible comments. :lol:

(PS who was it who came up with the theory that Equal Rites is "chock" full of sexual innuendo? :roll: )
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:24 pm

Well, Granny and Cutangle were on a "date" at the end. I don't know about "Chock" full tho.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Phoenix » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:36 am

poohcarrot wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:I can't think of much to say about this book, so I'll wait for someone to say something stupid and then argue with them. :twisted:

(Jan's usually good for a stupid comment or two. So is SWReader, but she's incapacitated at the moment.)

Phoenix wrote:
Eh, I've quite probably said something silly in the above, so please be gentle with me and leave some limbs attached ;)

Um... I was only joking! Only trying to wind up Jan and hopefully bring a smile to the face of SWReader. :oops:

Hehe, I was taking it as a joke and I was joking too... hence the wink :)
Phoenix

Postby Trish » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
CrysaniaMajere wrote:AND it says clearly that Hilta's broom was old and malfunctioning...
I just think TP forgot about that. He probably liked too much the idea of Granny running and running to start the broom.
I agree! It is a funny idea - especially with Granny being normally so self-assured.

Granny is stubborn.
And it's completely within her (character) to "appropriate" Hilta's broom.
Trish

Postby Trish » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:22 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:
kakaze wrote:
CrysaniaMajere wrote:This is NOT an important question, I know, but Granny's line: "don't try to walk before you know how to run" ... :?: shouldn't it be "don't try to Run before you know how to walk" ???

So it wasn't the translator's error.

No, this is Granny, who'd say something to the tune of: If a thing is worth doing, do it as hard as you can.
It's the obverse of "in for a penny, in for a pound."
Trish

Postby kakaze » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Trish wrote:No, this is Granny, who'd say something to the tune of: If a thing is worth doing, do it as hard as you can.

When I was a kid I could never figure out what a penny and a pound had in common. I mean, one is a coin and the other is a measure of weight.
kakaze

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:31 pm

kakaze wrote:
Trish wrote:No, this is Granny, who'd say something to the tune of: If a thing is worth doing, do it as hard as you can.

When I was a kid I could never figure out what a penny and a pound had in common. I mean, one is a coin and the other is a measure of weight.

until you realized that penny and pound were actually both monetary thingies? or I, being a bluidy minded american assumed it was in for a penny's weight, in for a pound worth...? :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels