Darwin's Watch

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Darwin's Watch

Postby kakaze » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi,

I just checked Darwin's Watch out from the library. I have not read it yet, and the jacket cover seems to indicate that there are other "roundworld" books that precede it.

I don't want to read the books out of order.

Are there any Roundworld books that come before Darwin's watch?

Thanks,

kakaze
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:57 pm

There are three books in the series:

Science of Discworld
Science of Discworld II - The Globe
Science of Discworld III - Darwin's Watch.

I don't know if it's necessary to read them in order as I've only read the first one. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:46 pm

I think with now being in the process of reading the Globe, after reading the first book in the series a good while back, it's not exactly necessary to read them in order, but it helps as the first book does get referenced a fair bit and the Globe covers the human aspect of Roundworld that the first skipped over as it was more about the evolution of the Universe/Galaxy and the making of the solar system and of Earth with the wizards studying the various dominant lifeforms as they emerge - except for us as they only viewed the very beginning (of an ape who walked on 2 legs and could communicate with others of their breed pretty well) and a putative end of our 'reign' as top dog species, when Earth has been abandoned (a very Arthur C. Clarke solution).

The Globe is concerned with the time span and history of the human evolution and civilisation and concentrating on the intellect and the development of science and presumably Darwin's Watch is more concerned with genetics and evolution in general - pooh might be able to enlighten us on that as I know he's rather fond of this subject and has read the 3rd book with a lot of relish... :lol:

PS - will have a reply for you in the ToT discussion tomorrow Kakaze as it's rather late here now... :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:17 am

Actually Jan has summarised the first two books so well that you don't need to read them :wink: I read them out of order (third first), and it really isn't that confusing so don't worry.

I'm sure no-one else will want to enlighten you as to the content of Darwin's Watch, as you're just about to read it anyway.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Dotsie wrote:Actually Jan has summarised the first two books so well that you don't need to read them :wink: I read them out of order (third first), and it really isn't that confusing so don't worry.

I'm sure no-one else will want to enlighten you as to the content of Darwin's Watch, as you're just about to read it anyway.

:lol: Good Point, but he may want to for the "Discworld" sections in every other chapter.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:01 am

I loved Darwin's watch!
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby kakaze » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 am

No, I'm not going to read it until I have a chance to read the first two. :)
kakaze

Postby Quark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 am

I managed to get my hands on the first two 8) . Liked them very much, although it was unusual to find Pterry writing scientifically... The computer game reference was very funny, though. Can't remember now, but it was something about the apprentices in the H.E.M building playing around with the new universe and throwing meteors at eachothers' planets. :P
Quark

Return to Discworld novels