Moist von Lipwig - love him or hate him

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Moist von Lipwig - what do you think of him?

Love Moist
49%
Like Moist
34%
He's So-So
9%
Don't Like Moist
8%
Hate Moist
No votes

Total votes : 53

Moist von Lipwig - love him or hate him

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:19 am

At Pooh's request here' a thread to discuss Moist von Lipwig. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:33 am

Moist is offcourse a conman which is very bad and not nice at all.
But he changes and becomes a hero (one of the most heroic things he does is saving a cat and he makes some other stuff happen :wink: ) So he changes for the good becomes a nice enough guy and I like him :)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:04 am

I try hard never to hate anyone, certainly not a fictional character, so I merely dislike him. :wink: He's capable of good, even great things but his reasoning and nature are flawed and mostly turned in on himself. Yes he's capable of caring, but even there he's thinking in terms of himself or at least seeing people as a 'project' to make them like him. :wink:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:06 pm

i like him youve got to work hard to be a good con artist :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby bikkit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:49 pm

I love him. End of story.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby mspanners » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:33 am

Voted I love Moist........... then again there are few of Terry's creations that I do not find interesting in some way or other. So I will give Him my vote!
mspanners

Postby Cheery » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:40 am

I like moist. He's a fun character. :D
Cheery

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Oh I dunno. I know know if I feel strongly enough either way. I'm indifferent I suppose (there's always one :roll: )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:05 pm

[Spoiler]

I like Moist. Of all the non-Watch, non-magical protagonists, he's probably the best. He's far less pompous than Willian De Worde, and he knows exactly who he is.

The climax of "Making Money"--when he confesses to all that he's a crook--pretty much tells you everything you need to know about him, and it's one of the best scenes in any of the DW books.

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I Like him.
Not love
Not hate

I did not like him at all for a while as he was so self absorbed but as soon as he saved the cat I changed my mind lol

(sad strange cat lady here sorry)
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:15 pm

I like Moist - prefer to Carrot but won't over take Lord Vetinari!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby AM » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm

I´m somewhere between like him and love him. I think he is a fun person and I agree with raisindot. When he confesses in MM, that tells you all you need to know about him.

I like the way he does all those crazy stuff when Miss Dearheart is out of town. They make a nice couple
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:03 pm

AM wrote:I´m somewhere between like him and love him. I think he is a fun person and I agree with raisindot. When he confesses in MM, that tells you all you need to know about him.

I like the way he does all those crazy stuff when Miss Dearheart is out of town. They make a nice couple

Gotta agree with ya, He is really funny when he is not desparately trying to figure her out. Well, I just like him, he thinks, and you get to hear a lot of brain work going on.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby AM » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
AM wrote:I´m somewhere between like him and love him. I think he is a fun person and I agree with raisindot. When he confesses in MM, that tells you all you need to know about him.

Gotta agree with ya, He is really funny when he is not desparately trying to figure her out. Well, I just like him, he thinks, and you get to hear a lot of brain work going on.

Yeah, but still, I like the part in MM (p.335) when they are discussing Hubert and she says something about a manual and he does not reply because he has also read the manual, the one about women. It made me laugh really badly, my dad says that that is just how my mum and I work.
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Postby Taliesin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 am

I voted "don't like", I've only read GP; but on the strength of that I'd say he's my least favourite lead character.
Taliesin

Next

Return to Discworld novels