Footnotes*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:One of my favourite footnotes:
*This at least was true. Rincewind could scream for mercy in niniteen languages, and just scream# in another forty-four.
#This is important. Inexperienced travellers might think that 'Aargh!' is universal, but in Betrobi it means 'highly enjoyable' and in Howondaland it means, variously' I would like to eat your foot', Your wife is a big hippo' and 'Hello, Thinks Mr Purple Cat.' One particular tribe has a fearsome reputation for cruelty merely because prisoners appear, to them, to be shouting 'Quick! Extra boiling oil!'

From Interesting Times :D


LOL yeah, I just adore the footnotes. That is a pretty darn good one too. I remember thinking that it was unique that sometimes 1/2 of two facing pages were covered with footnotes... :lol: They really add a cool dimension.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:46 am

9/10, including footnotes of books I haven't read in the first one and 6/15 in the second one :oops:
User avatar
Cheery
Member
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:51 am

Sjoerd3000 wrote:One of my favourite footnotes:
*This at least was true. Rincewind could scream for mercy in niniteen languages, and just scream# in another forty-four.
#This is important. Inexperienced travellers might think that 'Aargh!' is universal, but in Betrobi it means 'highly enjoyable' and in Howondaland it means, variously' I would like to eat your foot', Your wife is a big hippo' and 'Hello, Thinks Mr Purple Cat.' One particular tribe has a fearsome reputation for cruelty merely because prisoners appear, to them, to be shouting 'Quick! Extra boiling oil!'

From Interesting Times :D


Nearly wet my pants when I read that one the first time :lol: It's so hilarious!
User avatar
Cheery
Member
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 pm

I showed it to all my friends :D They all laughed out loud :lol:
User avatar
Sjoerd3000
Member
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Lelystad, The Netherlands

Postby Cheery » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:23 pm

It's from Colour of Magic isn't it? Or The Last Continent...? This is going to haunt me for the rest of the day :lol:
User avatar
Cheery
Member
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:27 pm

No :wink: it's from Interesting Times :D
User avatar
Sjoerd3000
Member
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Lelystad, The Netherlands

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:No :wink: it's from Interesting Times :D
You can tell because it says "From Interesting Times". :lol:
“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal
User avatar
Tonyblack
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29674
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Trish » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 pm

The footnotes are terrific.
Pratchett uses direct address to great effect, especially when he footnotes the footnotes.
Trish
Member
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Wintersville, Ohio

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:14 pm

Trish wrote:The footnotes are terrific.
Pratchett uses direct address to great effect, especially when he footnotes the footnotes.


LOL yeah I love those, some almost take up a whole page :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Re: Footnotes*

Postby adnanamo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:21 pm

why do you think he uses footnotes ?
adnanamo
New member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:02 pm
Location: Iasi, Romania

Re: Footnotes*

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:54 pm

For explanation and further insight.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 15622
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Re: Footnotes*

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Because it's funny :P
What would good do if evil didn't exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared?
User avatar
Sjoerd3000
Member
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Lelystad, The Netherlands

Re: Footnotes*

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:47 pm

adnanamo wrote:why do you think he uses footnotes ?

He often uses them as a method of making a joke. The very fact that the reader has to break off from the narrative to look at a footnote is very much like feeding a line in a joke and then getting the punchline from the footnote. :)
“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal
User avatar
Tonyblack
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29674
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Footnotes*

Postby =Tamar » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 am

Tonyblack wrote:
adnanamo wrote:why do you think he uses footnotes ?

He often uses them as a method of making a joke. The very fact that the reader has to break off from the narrative to look at a footnote is very much like feeding a line in a joke and then getting the punchline from the footnote. :)

It also adds a second or so between the initial stimulus and the footnote, which gives you a moment to think about it. Timing of jokes can be very subtle.
=Tamar
Member
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 am

Re: Footnotes*

Postby mirandashell » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Chestnuts? You call them chestnuts? Little balls of charcoal, that's what I call 'em!
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goth Umptys available now. Geeks and Princesses coming soon!
User avatar
mirandashell
Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Previous

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests