Going Postal Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Trish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 pm

chris.ph wrote:the secret to women is selective deafness :lol:

You're mostly right.
The secret is listening.

What Moist did was pay 100% attention to Spike. Attention that intense is not easy to dismiss.
But Moist has mad people skills.
Trish

Postby Trish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:What did we think of the other characters in this book? Stanley and Mr Groat and what about the relationship between Moist and Adora Belle?

Groat and his socks...did people really put sulfer in them? For ]freshness? Say it aint' so.

I got a kick out of Stanley and, yes, I got the joke. 4th reading, but hey.
Stanley and his Little Moments ... my, my.

I particularly like Mr Pump, but I like all the golems. They're so literal.
Trish

Postby mspanners » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:25 am

My fav new one was Gilt, a Pirate of the financial World..wicked.... don't know if anyone else has the unabridged audio but the Mr Briggs voice as Gilt is spot on! :D

Kind of like a posher and more understandable version of Depp's Pirate voice..... :shock:
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 am

nope that's a defence mechanism and bloody rude too... and we'll just talk louder and progressively closer and repeatedly anyway :P

I quite liked Gryle - should have had more of him
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:12 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:

nope that's a defence mechanism and bloody rude too... and we'll just talk louder and progressively closer and repeatedly anyway :P

I quite liked Gryle - should have had more of him
I'm pretty sure that Mr Ixolite of the Fresh Start Club is described as the last Banshee, so I'm not sure where Gryle came from. And aren't Banshees traditionally female in mythology? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:25 am

Well the screaming Banshees are female but I guess they have to have some males else where would they get the little Banshees from? :lol:

He didn't scream much did he - which is consistent with male behaviour according to Chris... :twisted:

Terry's banshees are different to the Celtic ones anyway - they're more spirits or fairies. So undead perhaps in terms of Discworld evolutionary paths and perhaps Mr Ixolite now has an apprentice undead banshee and is no longer the last of the race? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:27 am

Ah - just remembered as well - Gryle was a feral banshee (as Carrot noted) - Mr. Ixolite is a cosmop city-dweller! :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:03 pm

In the 70s punk band "Siouxie and the Banshees" I'm pretty sure the Banshees were all male. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Trish » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
chris.ph wrote:I quite liked Gryle - should have had more of him

I'm pretty sure that Mr Ixolite of the Fresh Start Club is described as the last Banshee, so I'm not sure where Gryle came from. And aren't Banshees traditionally female in mythology? :?

Mr Ixolite first turns up in Lords & Ladies while Nanny is explaining air traffic control.
Which puts him as from the Ramtops.

Gryle is described as a "wild banshee," but from where...?

Yes, the Celtic banshees were feminine.
Bion (good) sidh (witch) is a rough translation.
They weren't feared until ~mid-17thC.

The banshee screamed to announce a death, giving time for the descendants (or soon-to-be descendants) to do all those little necessary things to make sure an evil spirit didnt' steal the soul.
Trish

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:56 am

You now have two weeks to read or reread Thief of Time for the discussion on Monday 5th October.

Yes, I know I'm a day late. :oops:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Trish wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:What did we think of the other characters in this book? Stanley and Mr Groat and what about the relationship between Moist and Adora Belle?

Groat and his socks...did people really put sulfer in them? For ]freshness? Say it aint' so.

I got a kick out of Stanley and, yes, I got the joke. 4th reading, but hey.
Stanley and his Little Moments ... my, my.

I particularly like Mr Pump, but I like all the golems. They're so literal.

Well, Dr. Lawn did say that he was a case to be observed, preferably a good distance away and behind a tree, and NOT to let him take up tap dancing.

Stanley is fascinating, being raised by my favorite veggie and all. I loved how he "grew up" and decided Stamp Collecting was a True Man's Hobby. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm sure everyone here knows that the sulphur, saltpetre and carbon that Groat was mixing freely are the ingredients of gunpowder. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm just re-reading Going Postal.

Am I right in thinking that it's the only one of Terry's books that actually has numbered chapters?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jason » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Nope, it is the first adult Discworld book to have numbered chapters - I think Making Money follows the same pattern.

Now I come to think about it - do the Tiffany books have numbered chapters? I know they have chapters but I don't have time to look it up at the moment.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Jason wrote:Nope, it is the first adult Discworld book to have numbered chapters - I think Making Money follows the same pattern.

Now I come to think about it - do the Tiffany books have numbered chapters? I know they have chapters but I don't have time to look it up at the moment.
Yes they do! :)

It seems that Terry has returned to the old chapterless format with Unseen Academicals. :wink:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels