Going Postal Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Going Postal Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby Discworldpadawan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Or Nigel Planer doing his Neil from the Young Ones, would have been excellent. :mrgreen:

Oh wow man, like, Heavy! Like, stop bringing me down with all of your negative energies, man!

Yep, Neil would have made a great Rincewind too, Wee Dug!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
Discworldpadawan

Postby Mixa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'd personally stick with the book. I am not a fan of the TV adaptations of the Discworld Books.

I agree with you. Moreover, Discworld is so special that everyone imagines it differently. For me it was already quite difficult to watch the other two adaptations, and although they were quite loyal to the plot, I have the impression that in Going Postal the scrip-writers have come up with different ideas.

Who's Wee Dug wrote:OK C.O.M. was not that great, but good in parts, for me it was spoiled by a miscast of David Jason as Rincewind. :mrgreen:

Discworldpadawan wrote:Couldn't agree more wee Dug! I enjoy David Jason's other roles, especially Del Boy, Obviously!!! But he just seemed too old to play Rincewind, - I imagine Rincewind to be tall, scrawny, cowardly and young, maybe someone more like shaggy from Scooby doo?!

I completely agree. It was strange for me to see him so old. With Moist happens the same: I’ve seen the trailer and… That guy is not in his twenties… :think: XD And Adora Belle… It seemed to me that she was performed as a hysterical pampered girl instead of the femme fatale that really is.

Tonyblack wrote:As to the humour at pointing out how crooked the government is and how cynical voters are about the people they vote into power - well that's certainly a very British thing. We vote, we moan, we vote the same crooks in again and continue to moan. :mrgreen:

Well, I’ll tell you that that happens everywhere, believe me. Unfortunately we are exactly in the same situation. XD

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 am

Hm, yes, the TV adaption has some good part (I like how the clacks are shown), but many many differences to the book I rather cannot hold with ... Angua, how the golems look like, the whole love story overemphazising, "the moralizing healthy message for our kids concerning smoking" ... :shock: :?

Mixa wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:As to the humour at pointing out how crooked the government is and how cynical voters are about the people they vote into power - well that's certainly a very British thing. We vote, we moan, we vote the same crooks in again and continue to moan. :mrgreen:

Well, I’ll tell you that that happens everywhere, believe me. Unfortunately we are exactly in the same situation. XD

Uhm, yes, we too. :D
I really had a really good laugh and recognisation when I read this sentences. :lol:
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby Mixa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks for answering, Roland. For now I'll let it go but maybe later on I'lll watch it, when I'll get to prepare myself mentally.XD

What is your favourite part of the book?

Mx
Mixa

Postby Discworldpadawan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm

[quote="RolandItwasntmyfault"]Hm, yes, the TV adaption has some good part (I like how the clacks are shown), but many many differences to the book I rather cannot hold with ... Angua, how the golems look like, the whole love story overemphazising, "the moralizing healthy message for our kids concerning smoking" ... :shock: :?

I loved the Clacks intro Scene in the TV adaptation too Roland, especially the very beginning when the little old lady wants to send that clacks message and the clacksman sends it off through the system! You see all the little inner workings and workmen pulling levers to translate the message through the Grand Semaphore! And all the shutters opening and closing and mechanisms whirring etc etc :D Its just as I imagined the clax system to be!!

Mixa, even though the tv adaptation does have its flaws and dosent follow the book to the exact letter (pardon the pun!), its worth watching it IF ONLY to see the Clax towers in operation! :D
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
Discworldpadawan

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 am

Discworldpadawan wrote:I loved the Clacks intro Scene in the TV adaptation too Roland, especially the very beginning when the little old lady wants to send that clacks message and the clacksman sends it off through the system! You see all the little inner workings and workmen pulling levers to translate the message through the Grand Semaphore! And all the shutters opening and closing and mechanisms whirring etc etc :D Its just as I imagined the clax system to be!!

Mixa, even though the tv adaptation does have its flaws and dosent follow the book to the exact letter (pardon the pun!), its worth watching it IF ONLY to see the Clax towers in operation! :D

Yes, to not to be misunderstood: From a craftmanship's point of view it actually is a rather good movie. First to mention the clack's an particulary this sequence. I have to admit my inner picture of the clacks has been more like the actual semaphore systems as described in several naval fiction novels but as I watched the clacks operating in the movie I really get baffled, it is a view ... wow! Nevertheless the plot seems to be changed to follow a special kind of Dramaturgyvium which you apparently can't avoid in modern movies (some examples mentioned above) and those regularly get on my nerves. :roll:

But you are right, the clacks watching in operation is a visual pleasure in itself. :)

Favourite part of the book ... uh, there a many little scenes which I really love, for example the big red eye in the crystall ball (first I was laughing because of the reference ... one second later I was laughing as I understood to whom this eye belongs :lol: :lol: ;)), but a real big text passage ... first I remember perhaps is the fire in the post office, or rather: You have rescued the people, but this doesn't matter, what matter is the cat, you has to rescue the cat! :lol:
Or, ah, yes, a second part I also like very much: When Moist meets Gilt and he exactly can detect that he is also only is the same little crook and even tells it to the people who nevertheless get blinded (he is a pirate, he even has got a parrot!). And yes, of course, this "welcome to government service" passage, too.
Generally I like these observations of people's nature in the novels ... you recognize them again and again on roundworld.
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby Mixa » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm

RolandItwasntmyfault wrote:Favourite part of the book ... uh, there a many little scenes which I really love

Yes, the same happened to me. I loved, moreover, the rivalry that Moist creates between the Post Office and the Grand Trunk. It’s like “What is this man doing??? OMG, OMG, when Gilt finds out about this... He’s dead!!!” :lol:

And the end, of course. Great! :clap:

Discworldpadawan wrote:Mixa, even though the tv adaptation does have its flaws and dosent follow the book to the exact letter (pardon the pun!), its worth watching it IF ONLY to see the Clax towers in operation! :D

All right, all right! If I can, I’ll have a look. ;) Thank you everyone for giving your opinion!

Mx
Mixa

Previous

Return to Discworld novels